HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Having never quite followed through with my 'Becoming Minimalist' movement, I decided to rent a small booth at the local indoor flea market.  They're in the national directory and regularly draw a very good crowd from around the area.  The booth price was low, it was close to home (only about 3-miles away),  and they're open 7-days a week and I don't have to be there - unlike the outdoor flea market scene.

It's only a 4x6 booth with 2-walls of peg board, but with shelving and creative displays you can pack an incredible amount of stuff in a space that size.  The store I work at had 2 boxes of new commercial 8" peg hooks that they gave me just to keep from throwing them away, which gave me a great head-start.  Tip of the day = a 1x8 board makes a great shelf that sits on these peg hooks wonderfully (one near each end and one in the middle).  Several of these shelves, a bunch of peg hooks, and a smallish floor-stand shelving unit and I was good to go.

I filled it up at the beginning of this month and made $20 in the first 2-days - and the space was only very partially full the first day and a half.  Not much, but it was showing promise.  I checked in about twice a week during the month and continually brought stuff in, and even bought a couple of cheap (1 or 2 buck) table deals at a local twice-weekly auction.   I noticed stuff was selling, but never gave it much thought.

When I went in today to see how it was going for the month I about fell over when they told me I had sold slightly over $300 this month!   cheers 

Heck - at this rate I might just keep it going.  I never intended to stay there longer than a month or two, but if it keeps going this well I'll end up renting a larger booth.  They did tell me that I did better in my first month than several of their established vendors with somewhat larger spaces.  No where near a record by any means, but off to a dang good start.

No current pics, will have to wait until next week for that.

Lesson learned = you never know how something this unexpected is going to work out until you try it.  And all I wanted to do was get rid of some junk.   Cool  OTOH - if I can bring an extra $300 a month in such a small space, what could I do with a larger space if I would actually apply myself to this type of venture?

P.S. - No, I did not sell any of my good pipes or pipe-related objects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Having never quite followed through with my 'Becoming Minimalist' movement, I decided to rent a small booth at the local indoor flea market.  They're in the national directory and regularly draw a very good crowd from around the area.  The booth price was low, it was close to home (only about 3-miles away),  and they're open 7-days a week and I don't have to be there - unlike the outdoor flea market scene.

It's only a 4x6 booth with 2-walls of peg board, but with shelving and creative displays you can pack an incredible amount of stuff in a space that size.  The store I work at had 2 boxes of new commercial 8" peg hooks that they gave me just to keep from throwing them away, which gave me a great head-start.  Tip of the day = a 1x8 board makes a great shelf that sits on these peg hooks wonderfully (one near each end and one in the middle).  Several of these shelves, a bunch of peg hooks, and a smallish floor-stand shelving unit and I was good to go.

I filled it up at the beginning of this month and made $20 in the first 2-days - and the space was only very partially full the first day and a half.  Not much, but it was showing promise.  I checked in about twice a week during the month and continually brought stuff in, and even bought a couple of cheap (1 or 2 buck) table deals at a local twice-weekly auction.   I noticed stuff was selling, but never gave it much thought.

When I went in today to see how it was going for the month I about fell over when they told me I had sold slightly over $300 this month!   cheers 

Heck - at this rate I might just keep it going.  I never intended to stay there longer than a month or two, but if it keeps going this well I'll end up renting a larger booth.  They did tell me that I did better in my first month than several of their established vendors with somewhat larger spaces.  No where near a record by any means, but off to a dang good start.

No current pics, will have to wait until next week for that.

Lesson learned = you never know how something this unexpected is going to work out until you try it.  And all I wanted to do was get rid of some junk.   Cool  OTOH - if I can bring an extra $300 a month in such a small space, what could I do with a larger space if I would actually apply myself to this type of venture?

P.S. -  No, I did not sell any of my good pipes or pipe-related objects.

Sounds good Rob but, I wouldn't get a larger booth and I'd just play it safe for awhile. Collectibles and such have a way of fluctuating and it always seems the stuff you think will go doesn't and the stuff you didn't think does. I wish you the best sir!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Sounds good Rob but, I wouldn't get a larger booth and I'd just play it safe for awhile. Collectibles and such have a way of fluctuating and it always seems the stuff you think will go doesn't and the stuff you didn't think does. I wish you the best sir!  Wink 

Words of wisdom, Sir. Thanks, Ron, for your reply. I agree with you on the timeframe. No sense in rushing into anything like this on such short notice. If - after a few months - it's still going quite well, then by all means I will upgrade and put more into it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Words of wisdom, Sir.  Thanks, Ron, for your reply.  I agree with you on the timeframe.  No sense in rushing into anything like this on such short notice.  If - after a few months - it's still going quite well, then by all means I will upgrade and put more into it.

And get a dang avatar up there will ya, I feel like I'm talking to a blank spot!
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
And get a dang avatar up there will ya, I feel like I'm talking to a blank spot!

There - got the old one back up just for you Buddy.   Cool

And here's one for the road:

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

There - got the old one back up just for you Buddy.   Cool 

Much better!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 pm

So what exactly are you going to sell after all your premo junk is sold? Other peoples junk?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 pm

What's next now, Rob? Dumpster diving to get new stock for the booth?  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Buckshot wrote:
What's next now, Rob?  Dumpster diving to get new stock for the booth?   Shocked 

You'd all be surprised what you can find in a dumpster. I've found antiques to modern appliances in good working order.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm with you Cart. One only need to peruse ebay to see this in action. Stuff I used to chuck is now actually worth money. The junkies it is the more it fetches. I was just curious as to his business plan after his 'junk' ran out. If I end up being declared 'disabled' I will need something to occupy my noodle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Buckshot wrote:
What's next now, Rob?  Dumpster diving to get new stock for the booth?   Shocked 

Not sure if I need to go that far...  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter   Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 pm

puros_bran wrote:
So what exactly are you going to sell after all your premo junk is sold? Other peoples junk?

Actually PB there are a number of places even here locally.  Yard Sales - if you catch them early enough, local Auctions are great and I've gotten a bunch of stuff buying $2 or $3 table deals that ended up selling for $15-$20 by the time it's all done (several times the purchase price  cheers ).  There is also the free section on Craigslist as well as Freecycle if you're inclined to do the 'online' thing.  

Plenty of stuff to be found on the cheap if you're willing to out and look for it. I've been spending between $20-$30 at the local junk auctions and at least triple my money with no problems selling the purchased crap stuff in my flea market booth.

How far you want to go with it depends on how much you want to put into it.  My friend Chad (who also has the booth directly across from me) normally sells $800-$1000 a month (while averaging about $250 on the investment), but he only works 3-days a week and does this pretty steadily on his 4-days off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Flea Market booth for excess stuff/junk/clutter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1