HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 It's Cherry season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: It's Cherry season!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 pm

The Cherries are finally in season here in the Pac NW. Roadside stands are now flush with the Bing and Rainier varieties. I love them both, and recently read that this year's crop is some of the best in years. Size is larger, and sugar content is also up significantly. I prefer buying them from the roadside stands since the price is better as well as the freshness as they've been picked just the day before, or even that morning!

Just got in a quart of each. Think the Rainier's are my favorite-



But the Bings are no slouch-



The season lasts for only a few weeks around here, so I get them when they're fresh.

 geek 


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
The Cherries are finally in season here in the Pac NW. Roadside stands are now flush with the Bing and Rainier varieties. I love them both, and recently read that this year's crop is some of the best in years. Size is larger, and sugar content is also up significantly. I prefer buying them from the roadside stands since the price is better as well as the freshness as they've been picked just the day before, or even that morning!
Just got in a quart of each. Think the Rainier's are my favorite-
But the Bings are no slouch-
The season lasts for only a few weeks around here, so I get them when they're fresh.

 geek 


Cheers,

RR

While Cherries are grand I like and remember picking Black and I think Raspberries along the rail road tracks when I was just a young'en when we would visit my Aunt Hattie in Oregon. After picking, our bellies were always fuller then the buckets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:08 pm

My daughter and her children live up your way and she's told me about her three Rainier Cherry trees on their property. She says they are getting a bumper crop this year and are especially sweet.  Razz 'Fraid they wouldn't do well down here especially with our drought!!  Twisted Evil  The prickly pear cactus are doing great though down here  this year !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


Last edited by monbla256 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Missouri
Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:20 pm

My mom lives in Central Oregon and is going cherry picking this weekend. We got out Harry & David fruit of the month two days ago....you guessed it, it was cherries. They lasted an hour  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
J Soshae

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Birmingham, AL
Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 am

We consumed 4lbs of the cherries while we were in WA. At the moment we have Rainier cherries available here in Alabama. We have eaten 2 more pounds since returning home.

While at Pike Place Market, I insisted my daughter-in-law try some fresh cherries. She is as stubborn as I am and insisted she did not like cherries. I talked her into trying just one bite. All she had ever had in the past was maraschino cherries.

She is now hooked on fresh Washington State cherries.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:09 am

Shortly after reading this thread today I went shopping and lo and behold, US cherries. Being in the correct hemisphere, local cherries are only available at Christmas.

If only my tobacco could get here that fast.
Back to top Go down
WarlockBob

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Beaverton, OR
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Are you going to make any brews with them? That would be pretty awesome I would expect... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:28 pm

The bings around here are crazy delicious, the Rainiers being trucked in not so much.

Cherries are very much a "close to the source" fruit. I didn't think Raineirs could be so good until I visited a friend of mine up in Tenino several summers ago. Lucky you, Brewdude..  Very Happy 

I grew up near Olsen's fruit stand and cherry orchard in Sunnyvale CA. Their bing cherries were so flavorful as were their black tartarians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:07 pm

J Soshae wrote:
We consumed 4lbs of the cherries while we were in WA. At the moment we have Rainier cherries available here in Alabama. We have eaten 2 more pounds since returning home.

While at Pike Place Market, I insisted my daughter-in-law try some fresh cherries. She is as stubborn as I am and insisted she did not like cherries. I talked her into trying just one bite. All she had ever had in the past was maraschino cherries.

She is now hooked on fresh Washington State cherries.


Well then, there ya go!

 Very Happy 

WarlockBob wrote:
Are you going to make any brews with them? That would be pretty awesome I would expect...

Great idea, but no. Not at this time.

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
The bings around here are crazy delicious, the Rainiers being trucked in not so much.

Cherries are very much a "close to the source" fruit. I didn't think Raineirs could be so good until I visited a friend of mine up in Tenino several summers ago. Lucky you, Brewdude..  

I grew up near Olsen's fruit stand and cherry orchard in Sunnyvale CA. Their bing cherries were so flavorful as were their black tartarians.

Agree, close to the source seems to be the salient point with regards to Rainiers. Including and especially as they seem to be more prone to bruising and spoilage than the Bings are.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: It's Cherry season!   Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 pm

I love cherry season. I'll stop by a fruit stand and buy some Raniers and Bings for lunch.

Not to be outdone, Mt Hood Strawberries are crazy good with a small season. I'm not a strawberry guy, but I love those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: It's Cherry season!   Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm

That's what I miss the most about living in Seattle.  Fruit galore...and the seafood, nothing can compare, especially the oysters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
It's Cherry season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: