HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am

Well, I found the #1 pipe on my Grail list. A Sasieni Ashford "Ruff Root". It took a little bit of clean-up, but came out very nice. I'll smoke it tomorrow. I'm thrilled to cross this one off my list.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am

That is one gorgeous pipe, Al. Congrats on the score!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:53 am

I really like the blast on that one sir, bet its a sweet smoker. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 am

She's a beauty, great job on the clean up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:13 am

Cool, and then some. I'm starting to appreciate really good blasts, and that one certainly qualifies as such. Makes you want to just grab it and smoke it, to my mind. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks guys. I had some concerns about the originality of the stem but after cleanup and that blast, I thought it it is a replacement, someone did a damn good job. Most of these Ashfords go for crazy money, a recent sale brought over $700. After two years of searching, this was finally one I could afford.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Dam Sam, that is a helluva nice pipe right there and no mistake. Congrats Al!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:44 pm

May I ask what makes that pipe so special?  "Ashford" refers to the author shape, I believe, but Googling "Ruff Root" brings up pipes that don't look anywhere near as good as this one of yours.  Here, for example, is something Smoking Pipes had.  I wouldn't pay 40 bucks for it, even if I wanted it.  Just curious; Sasieni is a marque that has so far eluded me.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Richard, that is a modern "4-Dot" Ruff-Root, which I believe is now carved (ie rusticated). Older Family era or earlier "Four Dot" Ruff Roots were sandblasted. "Four Dot" pipes are worth easily twice the new 4-Dots, particularly in that shape.

I've handled new Sasieni 4-Dot pipes, for $80-$100, they aren't bad pipes. Probably equal to a lower priced Peterson, Stanwell, etc.

Lots of folks on Ebay interchange 4-Dot and Four Dot in their listings. If you scan carefully, you can find a gem incorrectly listed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Fine looking pipe Sir. Glad you're finally able to tick it off your list Al.

I'm liking your B GT too Al. Is it the 1800, V8 or the MG C?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Idea I see.  And to top it off yours is a tapered bit, which I also prefer.  Thanks for the reply.

P.S. I also once owned an MGB. 1964 ivory color w/black interior. Was really fun to drive--except for the incredibly short first gear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Nice score there Al! I appreciate all the information too. Very helpful stuff.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Someone got a great deal and nice pipe on this Four Dot "S" (saddle stem) Ashford - $96??? With bag & box! I tried to bid on it and surely would have went $105 or so. But, where we were in a remote area of WV last night at a friends cabin and I had almost no cell signal....

Note: If you want deals on Ebay - watch auctions that end on holiday weekends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131228215155?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:48 pm

riff raff wrote:

Note: If you want deals on Ebay - watch auctions that end on holiday weekends.  

Well, I heeded my own advice here and won another Sasieni Ashford last night. This one is a "Rustic" finish. The Rustic finish was unique to Sasieni in that it was hand-carved to follow the grain lines. This was more time consuming that sandblasting (like my other Ashford "Ruff-Root"). This one looks to be in pretty good shape and is from the same Pre-transition ear as the Ruff-Root (1946-1979).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Lord Have Mercy! That's one handsome pipe right there Al, and no mistake!

Love the way the rustic carving follows the grain lines. Never seen anything quite like it.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:20 pm

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the Rustic finish until I held on in person. At an earlier Philly Pipe Club meeting this year, a member brought a Rustic Ashford to compare it to my Ruff-Root.  (his was an early Patent era pipe).    Here are those two pipes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 am

Shocked gorgeous
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:58 pm

The pipe was delivered today and I finished it this evening. It had a little more oxidation on the stem than the pictures showed, but it was still a relatively easy clean-up. I put the details here:
http://rebornpipes.com/2014/12/01/sasieni-ashford-rustic-cleanup/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail   Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:00 am

Riff's got some keen taste in pipes, always has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sasieni Ashford Ruff Root - #1 Holy Grail
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: