HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe smoking myths about cleaning

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:33 am

So 51 bowls out of one pipe in a months time. Has the quality been compromised? Not that I can tell. I did switch tobaccos to a dryer smoking English and a Scottish blend. Other than that still a good solid smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:41 am

This is a very fascinating experiment you are performing Jim, I have had one Pete' System pipe go sour once before due to not taking enough care with the reservoir and my Bully went sour once due to not cleaning the mortise properly. I do clean my pipes properly after each smoke as I have no desire to experience that soured pipe smoke again but I do find this whole experiment of yours most interesting, more power to you Buddy and 'carry on'.  cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:28 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
where does the pipe start and the hand begin? 

Now that Is the question!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 am

huffelpuff wrote:
So 51 bowls out of one pipe in a months time. Has the quality been compromised? Not that I can tell. I did switch tobaccos to a dryer smoking English and a Scottish blend. Other than that still a good solid smoke.

This is an interesting experiment. I routinely will smoke a couple of pipes in "rotation," and I have done it for long periods of time - like during my trip to Honduras last year. I do use a pipe cleaner and give the bowl a pretty good scraping with a pipe nail. I have suffered no ill effects from this and have not had a problem with a pipe going sour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:56 pm

I've yet to see any real buildup/cake on any of my pipes since I've returned to the pipes several years ago, nor had any 'go sour'. I tend to use 2-4 pipe cleaners to clean up after a pipe has cooled. I do have take a bit more time to clean up one pipe everytime (a Jobey Strawberry I bought in the mid-80s) as the actual vent from the heel to the stem seems to clog pretty easily, needing to progress from a falcon cleaner to a narrower bristle cleaner etc. using 4 or 5 in total, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Englishman

Registration date : 2014-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:17 pm

I pretty much do 1 maybe 2 bowls in a pipe and it gets cleaned after that. I do not worry about the actual bowl or the outside. I like tha natural patina that develops on my pipes. I also use as many cleaners while smoking as I need to. Smoking heavy latakia blends and more specifically Gaslight - it does help keep a clean and fresh smoke both cleaning while smoking and also a good clean after a bowl or two depending on the specific pipe and bowl size. I may actual get a 3rd bowl on 2 of my smallest bowls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:28 am

Hit number 62 tonight. Still going strong without any real cleaning. I will continue to update as I can. Moving sucks.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whiderwarde

Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Excellent post!  Just a thought to add to the conversation:

Whenever I decide to sit down and "deep clean" my pipes, I find that what comes out of the shank on my alcohol soaked cleaners is mostly small (sometimes not so small) pieces of cotton soaked in tar and dried.  I'm starting to wonder if cleaning my pipes after every smoke with a pipe cleaner is contributing to them getting dirtier faster!  Those pipe cleaners are always letting little pieces go (run one between your finger and thumb for proof), and that stuff loves to stick in shanks.
Perhaps, if you're smoking nice and dry, a pipe cleaner afterwards might make things worse!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:39 pm

whiderwarde wrote:

Whenever I decide to sit down and "deep clean" my pipes, I find that what comes out of the shank on my alcohol soaked cleaners is mostly small (sometimes not so small) pieces of cotton soaked in tar and dried.  I'm starting to wonder if cleaning my pipes after every smoke with a pipe cleaner is contributing to them getting dirtier faster!  Those pipe cleaners are always letting little pieces go (run one between your finger and thumb for proof), and that stuff loves to stick in shanks.
Perhaps, if you're smoking nice and dry, a pipe cleaner afterwards might make things worse!

That's why I always blow through my pipe when I'm done running a cleaner through them. The little bits of cotton do get stuck and or drop off in the process of running the cleaner through, specially if your using the fluffy ones. And I find 99% of this lint gets ejected by blowing through the pipe afterwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
whiderwarde wrote:

That's why I always blow through my pipe when I'm done running a cleaner through them. The little bits of cotton do get stuck and or drop off in the process of running the cleaner through, specially if your using the fluffy ones. And I find 99% of this lint gets ejected by blowing through the pipe afterwards.

This plus I also run a bristle cleaner in and out 4/5 times after I do the above before I put the pipe up in the rack. This seems to keep the "gunk" which can accumulate in the stem/tennon at a minimum for me.  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
As everybody knows I'm just an anal clean freak and like my pipes to sparkle all the time.
After each smoke I run a cleaner through them and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel, no scrubbing just insert it and a twist, then I wipe it done with a soft cotton rag and I'm done. Although I only smoke one bowl out of each pipe a day for two days, then I go to the next 3 pipes in rotation (I have 3 bowls a day). When I come to the end of my 14 pipes I start all over again. Confused yet, I'm not. At the end of the month all 14 get a thorough cleaning, ISO, wax and buff and anything else they might need like rim cleaning and maybe a ream depending. I don't do this because some old timer told me to and, I don't do this because I read it somewhere, I do it because I want to do it this way and don't really give a hoot in hell about what's suppose to or not suppose to be done. It works for me!

But 14 isn't divisible by three! Sounds like you need one more pipe in your smoking stock to me. No more hoarding collectibles until you square up that rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
As everybody knows I'm just an anal clean freak and like my pipes to sparkle all the time.
After each smoke I run a cleaner through them and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel, no scrubbing just insert it and a twist, then I wipe it done with a soft cotton rag and I'm done. Although I only smoke one bowl out of each pipe a day for two days, then I go to the next 3 pipes in rotation (I have 3 bowls a day). When I come to the end of my 14 pipes I start all over again. Confused yet, I'm not. At the end of the month all 14 get a thorough cleaning, ISO, wax and buff and anything else they might need like rim cleaning and maybe a ream depending. I don't do this because some old timer told me to and, I don't do this because I read it somewhere, I do it because I want to do it this way and don't really give a hoot in hell about what's suppose to or not suppose to be done. It works for me!

But 14 isn't divisible by three! Sounds like you need one more pipe in your smoking stock to me. No more hoarding collectibles until you square up that rotation.

Ron has his own SPECIAL math he uses. He doesn't get much sun living in all those pine trees in E. Texas  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Monbla's right, it doesn't mater cause I don't do math, I smoke pipes.  Wink

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

Monbla right, it doesn't mater cause I don't do math, I smoke pipes.  Wink

Yeah, but not many of them  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm

alandadp wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Monbla's right, it doesn't mater cause I don't do math, I smoke pipes.  Wink

Yeah, but not many of them  lol!

Oh Gees! Quit your whining already, I smoke 14 pipes a month and that's plenty, specially when it comes to cleaning all of them. And I do change up my rotation pipes from time to time but, I agree I have way too many pipes to smoke but again, that's just how I am and I enjoy everyone of my pipes whether I smoke all of them or not.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:09 am

Ok guys I'm at 80 bowls with no real cleaning or resting to speak of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Domer

Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:35 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Ok guys I'm at 80 bowls with no real cleaning or resting to speak of.

Can you even get your little finger in the bowl with the cake buildup?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:50 pm

No real cake build up to speak of my friend. The only real cleaning I do when I dump the ash is to scrape the bowl out with the tamper of my Czech tool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 am

Just for laughs I included pipe cleaners in my bomb. I figure they will last a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Well at least until I break down and clean that pipe! It'll probably take 2-300 cleaners after what I've done to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 am

After 100 bowls in 2 months time I'm calling it good enough. Gave the poor old girl a good cleaning. Got a fair bit more cake out of it than I expected but all in all not as bad as I was expecting. She preformed admirably with few complaints other than wanting to smoke hot and wet. Which mostly cleared up after I changed tobaccos. I think we got some good solid information out of this little experiment. I will smoke her again in a day or so and see if I notice any difference.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:45 am

Ya know the last couple of times I cleaned mine at the end of the month, they weren't really too dirty. Maybe I'll wait two months this time and see what happens. Maybe, I must contemplate this.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Man, some of you guys are really anal! I thought I was pretty fastidious because I use one pipe cleaner for both mopping up during and cleaning after a smoke. When you said no cleaning, I was thinking no cleaners and no bowl scraping. I have taken to using the spoon on the Czech tool to scrape out loose bits and rub down the side to keep the cake in check after a smoke. I only wipe the bowl each smoke with meers. I have no regularly scheduled deep cleaning routine, but I should probably do so more often.

I do, however, rest my pipes for at least a day (sometimes a week). I dedicate pipes and I don't often smoke the same blend back-to-back.

Also, the hotter wetter smoke you're experiencing, Jim, is exactly why I thought people rested pipes. Your experience seems to me to show that pipes should be rested. I don't like hot, wet smoke. You report no deterioration in smoking quality except hotter and wetter, so I'm curious what other sorts of deterioration you were expecting. scratch 
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:33 pm

Good questions Thomas! Honestly the whole reason I did this was for the new guys. I ignored hot and wet as that is standard operating procedure for new guys. Hot and wet improves with better technique which they aren't going to get anytime soon only smoking 2-3 bowls a week. Yes resting helps with hot and wet too but I see technique as what's going to keep the new guys around. As far as what I was looking for....... I was looking for off flavors, bitter, acrid, sour, anything that shouldn't be there. Bad smells or even just something funky. The whole idea was to see how far I could push 1 briar. I personally don't like a dirty pipe but I've smoked long enough to know that sometimes you go with what you've got. I'm not trying to get anyone to clean less or more for that matter. I see it as personal preference.

As for the post clean bowl after daily smoking for 2 months. No drastic changes in flavor or performance. Just a nice solid smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking myths about cleaning   Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

oh man, this one should make some of you cringe! i only clean when i need to! usually my pipes only see a cleaner if the draft becomes clogged or if for an odd reason i end up with a really wet smoke and get a bad gurgle or worse, have the pipe sitting wrong go so smoke it and get a mouth full of tar! YUCK! i usually dont remove the old junk from a pipe till its cool due to most of my pipes are either new or been previously very well cleaned from brothers and need some cake, however i am slightly anal about the appearance of my pipes, i like the outside to be clean, no fingerprints whatsoever and i like my rims to be nice and pretty, some of my older pipes that dont really have any sort of "finish" on them still get an occasional light sand pappering on the rim to remove any lighter char or tar from the exiting smoke, i like the rim to look uniform
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe smoking myths about cleaning
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next