HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Taiz of Tucson?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Taiz of Tucson?   Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:06 pm

I hope I'm posting this is the right place, many regrets if I'm not.

Primarily to my Southwestern brethren I suppose; does anyone remember Sid Taiz's shop in Tucson? I got to be good friends with him and his family in the late '70s when I lived there. Sid was a great guy, long gone now, and I have many great memories of talks with him and learned a lot about pipes and tobacco and non pipe stuff too. He was quite brilliant imo and a good friend.

He was a degreed chemist and made some really great blends which he regularly stocked and would also whip up custom blends if requested. I spent a lot of time at his shop, helping out from time to time, and bought a boat load of pipes and tobacco at that shop during the time I lived in Tucson.

I was just wondering if anyone else knew him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Taiz of Tucson?   Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:22 pm

This is a good place for this post Rob.

I hope someone can respond with more information than I offered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Taiz of Tucson?   Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:49 am

Yeah, this was back when pipe shop owners were proud of their blends, hand made by them, they were the masters back then, I can remember the shop I worked in, he was a master blender and took his knowledge to the grave.  Those were some great days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Taiz of Tucson?   Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 pm

I might actually know some of his family. I was in school with two Taiz brothers back in the day. Not that many Taizes in Tucson that I know of.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Taiz of Tucson?   Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Here's a cool article. Sidney Taiz is featured halfway through page three...

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/c/l/t/clt38e00/Sclt38e00.pdf

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Taiz of Tucson?   Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:30 am

I read that article many years ago in print, maybe Sid gave me a copy? Anyway thanks for the link Mister E. Sid had a son and daughter as I recall, his son's name was Josh he was born in maybe '64 or '65 I think. One of Sid's most popular blends was named after Josh and was really very good and my Father in Law's favorite. There may have been other kids but not that I recall. None of them seemed to be involved in the shop that I can remember.

Sid started making perfumes and colognes before starting to blend his own tobaccos sometime after WW II. When I knew him he was in his late '80s and his wife Georgia was probably 30 years younger. He also used to make up special blends of chewing tobacco for the Minnesota Vikings players during their heydays of Super Bowl appearances, Neil Clabo (punter) was kept well supplied with a grape blend all season long.

Yes, Taiz isn't a common name in Tucson I wouldn't think. Sid was born in NYC as I recall and was Jewish but moved to Tucson when he was pretty young. He was also an accomplished violinist. Sid was quite a sight, this skinny little guy with a white goatee, straw cowboy hat, Levi's, boots and driving a 1940's beat to heck Ford pickup. I miss him and his tobacco.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Taiz of Tucson?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1