HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Shipping costs.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Shipping costs.....   Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:58 pm

The biggest pain in the rear on Ebay, for me, is figuring out what shipping will end up being. I won a smoking deal Amazing deal The shipping was 31.37 after I won the auction. Double dumbass on me for not looking closer, I prefer when sellers use flat rate shipping via the USPS. I will add though, the five falcon type bowls and, what appears to be an unopened a can of original Amphora for 11.50 is a great deal  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Does seem that shipping costs are all over the place! Some as low as $3.95, others upwards of $12.95, and everything else in between!!!! Another reason I don't bid on stuff from overseas. Whew, shipping can be more than the final cost of the product!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 pm

I ALWAYS offer free shipping 1st class mail. I'll never understand why many have to gouge shipping costs on eBay. I refuse to buy anything from idiots that do. I've seen nimrods asking $30 to ship within the states for one pipe and I know the package can't weigh more then 8 ounces, just no excuse for it.

On another point and not to up set you but, did you notice it looks like a mouse had been chewing on the back edge of the plastic lid?
I once purchased a pipe off eBay that had been chewed by a rat but, the photos were so sorry it looked like part of the rustication, needless to say I sent it back.  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I ALWAYS offer free shipping 1st class mail. I'll never understand why many have to gouge shipping costs on eBay. I refuse to buy anything from idiots that do. I've seen nimrods asking $30 to ship within the states for one pipe and I know the package can't weigh more then 8 ounces, just no excuse for it.

On another point and not to up set you but, did you notice it looks like a mouse had been chewing on the back edge of the plastic lid?
I once purchased a pipe off eBay that had been chewed by a rat but, the photos were so sorry it looked like part of the rustication, needless to say I sent it back.  Suspect 

I did notice that. I was mainly interested on the pipe bowls. The tobacco if it is still in good shape, is just a bonus!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 pm

I gotcha!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 am

Ebay doesn't include shipping costs when it calculates the seller's fee. So if a seller charges more for shipping and less for the product, he'll pay a lower fee then if he had charged the same total price and offered free shipping.

Then there are also the degenerates who count on folks not paying attention and are just looking to rip people off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:52 am

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Ebay doesn't include shipping costs when it calculates the seller's fee. So if a seller charges more for shipping and less for the product, he'll pay a lower fee then if he had charged the same total price and offered free shipping.

Then there are also the degenerates who count on folks not paying attention and are just looking to rip people off.  

BUT! They also charge a Final Shipping Fee to the Seller.
No matter how you look at it, gouging the shipping cost is underhanded.  Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 pm

My biggest annoyance on Ebay is also the shipping! Another on of my hobbies is baseball card collecting, there is some outrageous shipping charges for cards on Ebay! Ebay did start to handle that by limiting the amount you could actually charge for shipping for single cards (because you select which department it is a what it is etc.). That's part of why I mostly look for items with free shipping though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Shipping is always a consideration and you definitely want to notice that charge. I avoid the ones where shipping is calculated after the auction, that is free-for-all with an opportunistic seller.

If you bought a $400 Dunhill for $100 but paid $50 for shipping, that's still a pretty good deal, so I always look at the overall cost.

All of the pipes I've sold lately on Ebay, I've listed as Free shipping and just factor that into my BIN price. (about $6-7 max anywhere in the US, Priority w/tracking).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Fatman wrote:
I will add though, the five falcon type bowls and, what appears to be an unopened a can of original Amphora for 11.50 is a great deal  Very Happy

Good score on the bowls and tobacco really. It is not QUITE so good with the shipping, but still...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:57 pm

riff raff wrote:
All of the pipes I've sold lately on Ebay, I've listed as Free shipping and just factor that into my BIN price.  (about $6-7 max anywhere in the US, Priority w/tracking).
That's what I do but I buy insurance.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Shipping costs.....   Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 pm

daveinlax wrote:
riff raff wrote:
All of the pipes I've sold lately on Ebay, I've listed as Free shipping and just factor that into my BIN price.  (about $6-7 max anywhere in the US, Priority w/tracking).
That's what I do but I buy insurance.  Shocked 
I do as well, if the pipe is over $100. But I've learned that USPS does not like paying an insured claim, so it's all a roll of the dice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Shipping costs.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1