HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am

Yeah, that's right (?) Do they have any? I'm beginning to think there ego's are too big
to have customer support by the way I have been treated. I won't order from them again
I can tell you that. I know posting this will not affect anyone else's view on Iwan Rie
because most mentalities are, "They have the hard to find things I need so I'll let them treat how ever just to get them". Well my friend if you see things that way, that is why they treat people the way they do, Because they know they can get away with it.
Just like when I posted about P&C a while back and the under handed way they treated me there, no one gave a hoot in hell. I will not patronize businesses that treat there customers this way with that arrogance.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

I totally understand where you are coming from. If I am on the receiving end of poor customer service, I will not be a patron of the establishment. I know in the big picture, losing my business will not hurt a large corporation/retailer, but it makes me happy!

What happened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:53 am

Fatman wrote:
I totally understand where you are coming from. If I am on the receiving end of poor customer service, I will not be a patron of the establishment. I know in the big picture, losing my business will not hurt a large corporation/retailer, but it makes me happy!

What  happened?
I placed an order over the phone on Saturday and asked to be notified when it shipped , they've charged my card Monday and I haven't heard a thing even after calling them a 2nd time. Just yeah, we'll notify ya and before he could hang up, I asked don't you want my email address? Oh, yeah! I'm not real impressed with them, I don't care how busy they are or what argument they had with there spouse that day. Your customers pay your wages and without them you starve. I just ask for simple respect, not asking anyone to kiss my arse here. I haven't even received a invoice yet.
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Fatman wrote:

What  happened?
I placed an order over the phone on Saturday and asked to be notified when it shipped , they've charged my card Monday and I haven't heard a thing even after calling them a 2nd time. Just yeah, we'll notify ya and before he could hang up, I asked don't you want my email address? Oh, yeah! I'm not real impressed with them, I don't care how busy they are or what argument they had with there spouse that day. Your customers pay your wages and without them you starve. I just ask for simple respect, not asking anyone to kiss my arse here. I haven't even received a invoice yet.

This would frustrate me to no end. I hate, and I don't like to use that work, poor phone etiquette. I deal with other staff members here at work a lot on the phone. When I encounter an asshat on the other end, I thank them, hang up, that go to the floor they are working, get in touch with their charge nurse, and we all have a little conversation. There is no excuse for rudeness, and they sure sounded rude to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 am

I agree with you. Poor customer service is a deal breaker. I don't patronize a store in Boston for that reason that I will not name. On the other hand, great customer service is a huge draw for me. I buy a lot from Jon's Pipe shop in champaign Illinois for that reason. I may be paying a premium price for it, but great service stands out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Yeah, that's right (?) Do they have any? I'm beginning to think there ego's are too big
to have customer support by the way I have been treated. I won't order from them again
I can tell you that.

Stopped using them five years ago for the same reason. Too many other retailers and e-tailers who provide great selection, great prices, and exemplary customer service for me to spend money with a company who can't be bothered to value their customers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 am

I have only had good service from IRC. If this is the only time you have had a problem, well, have you ever made a bad impression? It is easy to do sometimes.

Now, if this is a repeat problem, then yes, blast them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 am

Hearing this from you guys is refreshing! In my experience many will give up there integrity
and over look many businesses unprofessional arrogance of "we have what you want so we can treat you anyway we want" attitude. I will NOT patronize a business that treats there customers as if they didn't matter. Point in case, I do business regularly with one that in my eye charges a little too much for items of my interest but, they speak to me cordially and treat me with the up most respect and they give me an invoice and ship the same day if not the next depending when I contact them. The extra money I pay is well worth it just to be treated properly and like I'm someone.    
Iwan Ries will no longer get my business no matter what they have I want.  Pipes, Tobacco or any other thing for that matter is certainly not worth giving up my integrity for.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am

Fazby wrote:
I have only had good service from IRC.  If this is the only time you have had a problem, well, have you ever made a bad impression?  It is easy to do sometimes.

Now, if this is a repeat problem, then yes, blast them.

This is the only time I've ordered from them and the last.
I don't give 2nd or 3rd chances anymore, this aint a ball game.
I try an treat people with the up most respect till they prove there not worthy.
I see no excuses for there behavior 1st time or any other time.
I'm not perfect but, to deal with the same person on two different occasions and get the
same attitude says only one thing, there most likely that way all the time.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:25 am

Couldn't you get the guy's name and then ask to speak to the owner? I think the owner actually works there. That's assuming it wasn't the owner.

Failing that, I'd drive up to Chicago and slap the savage's FACE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Couldn't you get the guy's name and then ask to speak to the owner?  I think the owner actually works there.  That's assuming it wasn't the owner.  

Failing that, I'd drive up to Chicago and slap the savage's FACE!

I thought of that Richard and I just figured that they'd tell me he's out of the office or some other lame excuse given there attitude thus far.
They had there one chance and Failed. And just an update, after posting this here lo and behold I got an invoice stating it was shipped and by UPS when I was told it ship USPS Priority. I reckon that also explains why when they said it shouldn't be more then $42 and they ended up charging me $46 and change.
Back to top Go down
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Bummer. I was thinking of buying from them but I think I'll pass now. There is no excuse for poor customer service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm with you CART. I could not have said it as well as you. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 pm

they obviously didn't know who they were dealing with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:

lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

lol! 

And by that comment everyone knows who they're are dealing with.

EDIT: Richard, my comment was not directed at you sir.
Back to top Go down
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Cart's right...this isn't a ballgame where we need to go to three strikes or nine innings. It is a very competitive marketplace out there, and we are all spending hard earned dollars. Again, this is the reason I no longer deal with a local tobacconist. I made the mistake of giving them three chances, but the arrogance never faded. I understand that all of us can have bad days, etc. and we don't want to be judged by that. But the reality is...we have options, we are blessed with a fairly large group of online retailers with great selection and service, and therefore, we are able to walk away after strike 1 should we choose to.

As I am sure many of you are, I am very loyal to the retailers that treat me well. It is a pleasure to spend my money where my business is appreciated and I am made to feel like it is.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 pm

If I was that picky, there'd be nobody left to buy from.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm

When I visited Iwan Ries in July the owner was there and personally took the time to show my father-in-law and I around. We chatted for a good 30 minutes and he offered to take a look at my pipes and expressed some interest in carrying them. I bought a pipe and they buffed and waxed it while I smoked a cigar. I had nothing but a pleasurable experience.

It's too bad you had a negative experience, Cart. The lesson to be learned here is for the business. Sometimes there are no second chances in retail. Quite a precarious balancing act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm with you Cart, and no way would give them a second chance. But what I would give them is a letter to the owner. While customer care is ultimately the owner's responsibility, he can't fix it if he doesn't know it is broken.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I shop at the store and the owner, his wife and son are always there. They're a great shop with a great selection but it is a very busy old line B&M's the internet is neglected at best. I would call and ask for Kevin and tell him what's going on. I agree if you can't keep up with something drop it or get someone dedicated full time to the online part of the biz.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm

I understand everyone's point off view here and in no way am I asking anyone not to do business with them. I understand that when one goes in person and not contacting them over the phone (as I did) or email that most will be cordial on a face to face basis. Although this in itself can be taken either way as good or bad. If you've never had a problem with them, then by all means continue to do business with them. I'm sure the owner doesn't know how some are being treated.
I was just pointing out my problems with them in hopes to help someone else avoid a headache. I don't expect anything out of anyone else that I wouldn't demand of myself.

As for a letter, this may be a good idea but, being disillusioned by so many other businesses
treating customers this way nowadays I doubt how much weight it will hold.
That and I'm only one person, one letter and I think it'll be just scoffed at and circular filed.
But, I'll give it serious thought.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 pm

The letter idea may not be as futile as you may think Ron. Last year I had a 'too do" with an individual at the Pharmacy at a local Target store and wrote a letter to Target Corp. Customer service as well as the Pharmacy conncsessionair and not only got a reply by phone but got a written response from Corp Customer Service and a nice phone conversation from the Pharmacy folks as well. This all surprised me and you might want to give it some thought !
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cadfael

Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Just to put a turn on this thread - I have never had a problem with SmokingPipes!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

I made a point to find them the last time I was in Chicago. Customer service was exceptional!

Having been in business for 22 years, my most loved clients are the ones who have been gracious when we have made mistakes or have had growing pains.

There are clients who have been loyal the whole time we have been in business. I am greatly indebted to them for allowing me to be human.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next