HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:36 am

Sorry to hear of your situation Ron. I buy from them only once a year in person at the Chicago pipe show. Chuck Levi the owner is an amazing buisnessman and would be greatly hurt to hear of this treatment to any patron. Apparently there is a big difference between face to face transactions and those over the internet or telephone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 am

docwatson wrote:
Sorry to hear of your situation Ron. I buy from them only once a year in person at the Chicago pipe show. Chuck Levi the owner is an amazing buisnessman and would be greatly hurt to hear of this treatment to any patron. Apparently there is a big difference between face to face transactions and those over the internet or telephone.
Ya know Doc, maybe I've made a mountain out of a mole hill but, I reckon maybe I've tired of how many businesses are turning this way, this is not the first time I've come across this.
There's been four counting them that have this, "Your taking up my time" attitude on the phone and I reckon this is me sharing my frustration. A letter explaining my experience with them to Chuck will be in the mail today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:22 am

Ron,
You have NOT made a mountain out of a mole hill. I feel exactly the way that you do. If they don't have the time to sell me a product, I don't have the time to give then my hard earned $$. end of story, and it is best to let them know and that you will pass the word. Word of mouth (message) is huge today in the manner that we do business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74



Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Ditto what Doc said. Btw, your sending a letter to Chuck at IR will only serve to help them---and all of us--- because it will make them be more mindful of every customer interaction. This forum and others like it give an individual customer more "punch" since we can highlight great encounters and bad ones to fellow enthusiasts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy

avatar

Age : 66
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I won't deal with them again. I have sent emails on two occasions with questions regarding my order. No replies. Once they get yer money...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:06 pm

flyguy wrote:
I won't deal with them again.  I have sent emails on two occasions with questions regarding my order.  No replies.  Once they get yer money...

I too sent 2 emails and they finally answered them the day the package was delivered.
Too late to do anyone any good. And I seriously doubt my letter will do anything except to provide them with a few good laughs but, we'll see.
I don't have much faith in people, I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Rad Davis

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Foley, Alabama, USA
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.

Uh Oh. Sounds like you're leaning a little bit left there, Cart.  Laughing 

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Rad Davis wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.

Uh Oh.  Sounds like you're leaning a little bit left there, Cart.   Laughing 

Rad

If I lean any further I'll fall down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

[/quote]
If I lean any further I'll fall down. [/quote]

 lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:35 pm

I get where you're coming from! I don't have money to piss away with someone that couldn't care less if they get my business. Granted my business doesn't amount to much but they should make some kind of effort. I gladly pay more to be treated like my business matters. Don't give up on the letter Ron stranger things have happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Hixson, TN (Chattanooga Area)
Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:21 pm

...my .2 ...I've been to their shop a number of times over the years and if you're not one of the regulars, well...I wasn't mistreated but their attitude was less than professional...

My father took me by their shop in 1963 to look for a 1951 gp 4 Dunhill shell billiard...they had advertised some "new old Dunhill stock" and I was fortunate to find one. My father paid $38. for the pipe and when we said we wouldn't be buying anything more...it was as if we were dismissed and should leave.

Some times I've been treated quite well and at other times, less so. As has been said, not earning my business won't do anything to their business but it satisfies me... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

avatar

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:55 am

you can actually remember that much detail from a visit when you were 10 years old?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Hixson, TN (Chattanooga Area)
Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 am

Bullwinkle wrote:
you can actually remember that much detail from a visit when you were 10 years old?  

...you bet I do...However, I was 13 at the time and any trip I took having to do with pipes, I remember quite well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

avatar

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:22 pm

PeterD wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
you can actually remember that much detail from a visit when you were 10 years old?  

...you bet I do...However, I was 13 at the time and any trip I took having to do with pipes, I remember quite well...

you list your age as 62.. 62 from 2014 means you were born in 1952 and 1952 from 1962 seems to come out about 10 +/- for month of year. but even at 13 that's quite a talent. any chance you know Marilu Henner?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your travail. In my last IR order one item was omitted -- A cheap, clear plastic breast pocket tobacco carrier with a built-in sifter. Old style and better alternatives available, sure, but a nostalgic item for me. I phoned IR and was told by a polite, informed woman that they were in stock, but had stains on them that had bled from the packaging ink. She promised to send one as soon as the replacement shipment arrived. A couple of days later a blemished one arrived in a #10 envelope with a note explaining that this was the pick of the damaged litter and there would be no charge. As promised, the replacement arrived a week or so later. So IR made nothing on that transaction, but I was favorably impressed with their willingness to make good effort to correct my minor problem. My .02 -- Training telephone reps is a constant battle. That's why we've all heard the message -- "This call may be recorded for training purposes." Phone reps can be clueless how they come across to callers when they try to be folksy or funny. It's a job that requires training and frequent refreshers. Screwing up can have major consequences since customers are quick to take their business elsewhere these days, and internet message boards are readily available to broadcast customer dissatisfaction. I agree that a note to IR may at least turn this into a learning experience for someone there. I think this problem could have happened anywhere, except possibly Nordstrom, which doesn't cater to pipers, unfortunately. I hope you're shown more respect next time, Brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

avatar

Age : 35
Location : West Chicagoland
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Kevin, Cart, Fly: It may be interesting to know that the phone that rings when you call IRC is the one behind the counter in the shop. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be taking better care of the customers who are making phone orders or internet orders, but when you have a guy standing in front of you, the habit is to take care of him first (this is mostly in response to Kev using the term "phone rep"). Ron, next time I stop by the shop, I will tell my guy about a few things I heard rattling around on the internet. I have had success in my line of work reaching out to upset guests who have sworn off return business. If they do anything with that info, then good for them. In the end, I feel a mutual responsibility to my brothers here and my guys at IRC.

Full disclosure: I visit the shop often enough to be recognized, and some of the guys at the shop come in and eat dinner at my restaurant. We have a mutual relationship, but I do not represent them in any way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:16 pm

KevinM wrote:
Sorry to hear of your travail. In my last IR order one item was omitted -- A cheap, clear plastic breast pocket tobacco carrier with a built-in sifter. Old style and better alternatives available, sure, but a nostalgic item for me. I phoned IR and was told by a polite, informed woman that they were in stock, but had stains on them that had bled from the packaging ink.  She promised to send one as soon as the replacement shipment arrived. A couple of days later a blemished one arrived in a #10 envelope with a note explaining that this was the pick of the damaged litter and there would be no charge. As promised, the replacement arrived a week or so later. So IR made nothing on that transaction, but I was favorably impressed with their willingness to make good effort to correct my minor problem. My .02 -- Training telephone reps is a constant battle. That's why we've all heard the message -- "This call may be recorded for training purposes." Phone reps can be clueless how they come across to callers when they try to be folksy or funny.  It's a job that requires training and frequent refreshers. Screwing up can have major consequences since customers are quick to take their business elsewhere these days, and internet message boards are readily available to broadcast customer dissatisfaction. I agree that a note to IR may at least turn this into a learning experience for someone there.  I think this problem could have happened anywhere, except possibly Nordstrom, which doesn't cater to pipers, unfortunately. I hope you're shown more respect next time, Brother.

A letter to Chuck Levi went out a few days ago and I'll let ya all know when or if I get a reply. But I seriously doubt they'll reply. Sadly when it comes to people I know all too well what most will do, just the nature of the creature so to speak. No, I don't like them much because they seem to just make others lives miserable without even having the foresight to see past there own ego's how there actions effect others and, then there's those who do know and enjoy it for the most part. Am I leaning again?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:19 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
Kevin, Cart, Fly: It may be interesting to know that the phone that rings when you call IRC is the one behind the counter in the shop. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be taking better care of the customers who are making phone orders or internet orders, but when you have a guy standing in front of you, the habit is to take care of him first (this is mostly in response to Kev using the term "phone rep"). Ron, next time I stop by the shop, I will tell my guy about a few things I heard rattling around on the internet. I have had success in my line of work reaching out to upset guests who have sworn off return business. If they do anything with that info, then good for them. In the end, I feel a mutual responsibility to my brothers here and my guys at IRC.

Full disclosure: I visit the shop often enough to be recognized, and some of the guys at the shop come in and eat dinner at my restaurant. We have a mutual relationship, but I do not represent them in any way.

Thank you sir, let us know if they have anything to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: UPDATE   Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Well, I received a call from Mr.Chuck Levi today and he told me that he was refunding me the $4 overcharge for shipping and if I have any questions or business to do to call and ask for him directly. He told me he didn't know how this happened but that he is looking into it.
I'm pretty sure he was being honest and didn't know what had gone on but, will try and get the bottom of it and try to stop this from happening again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Smokey-smokey

avatar

Location : West Michigan
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:46 pm

You know, I'm right there with you regarding customer service... I don't know what it is, but people seem to tolerate insulting behavior. I don't mind if I go to a store and maybe the cashier is having a bad day, what I do mind is the "I don't give a XXXX" attitude. Extra irritating when I get it from someone who's barely a teenager.

You know who lost my business forever? Best Buy. I know they won't go out of business by me not shopping there, but I'm still not OK with being treated like they are doing me a favor by talking to me. I treat a store employee like a lady/gentleman, and I expect to be treated like a gentleman.

The last few times I've gone I have someone harass me about my phone service, my cable service, etc. OK, fine, I'll put up with that I suppose, but not when I say "I'm not interested" and the person keeps asking... Also, it irritates me when I Ask "do you have X Item" and the response is "I don't know, I don't think so." Now, that would be an acceptable response followed up by "let's look in the system," instead I get these children walking away. In all the times I've been there, only ONE guy has had the sense to say "let's check in my system."

I contacted Best Buy Corporate and told them of my last few experiences, of how someone at the store told me they don't have X and I found it at the same store on my way out... etc... how people just walk away, how they don't know what they have unless it is an iPhone or something for it (in that case they know all about it and can tell you where to find each color and model)
Their solution to this problem? They apologized and offered me a 25 dollar gift card... Yeah, that's cool, treat the customer like a bum too...

The internet is full of places with better prices that deliver to my door for me to bother with Best Buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm not a Best Buy customer either. I use to purchase my car stereo equipment from them till I bought a system for my daughter B-Day and wanted it installed and they quoted a decent price. When we went to have it installed they wanted to charge me $25 for a $5 wiring harness adapter so they could just plug everything in without doing any real wiring. I told them to go *@%$! themselves and then they decided to take the charge off and finish the install. It really peeved me off that they tried to treat me like I didn't know Shirt from Shineola and charge me an outrageous cost for a pigtail adapter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 am

Cart, I'm glad you got some satisfaction from IR. If nothing else, you might have saved someone down the road from the same frustration.
We might need another thread about Best Buy. I had an incident there that started with me telling a passing employee that I wanted to purchase a particular TV, and ended with my wife dragging me from the store as I explained how a flat screen could indeed be inserted in the employee's...
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 am

MichaelM wrote:
Cart, I'm glad you got some satisfaction from IR. If nothing else, you might have saved someone down the road from the same frustration.
We might need another thread about Best Buy.  I had an incident there that started with me telling a passing employee that I wanted to purchase a particular TV, and ended with my wife dragging me from the store as I explained how a flat screen could indeed be inserted in the employee's...
Mike.

You could call it "Worst Buys" and it be a place for everyone to post there stories of
customer service nightmares. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Smokey-smokey

avatar

Location : West Michigan
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:54 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
MichaelM wrote:
Cart, I'm glad you got some satisfaction from IR. If nothing else, you might have saved someone down the road from the same frustration.
We might need another thread about Best Buy.  I had an incident there that started with me telling a passing employee that I wanted to purchase a particular TV, and ended with my wife dragging me from the store as I explained how a flat screen could indeed be inserted in the employee's...
Mike.

You could call it "Worst Buys" and it be a place for everyone to post there stories of
customer service nightmares. Wink

I still can't get over the sunglasses. I think an Iwan Ries Zippo pipe lighter would be a good accessory that would match your glasses. A hat maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:01 am

Smokey-smokey wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
MichaelM wrote:
Cart, I'm glad you got some satisfaction from IR. If nothing else, you might have saved someone down the road from the same frustration.
We might need another thread about Best Buy.  I had an incident there that started with me telling a passing employee that I wanted to purchase a particular TV, and ended with my wife dragging me from the store as I explained how a flat screen could indeed be inserted in the employee's...
Mike.

You could call it "Worst Buys" and it be a place for everyone to post there stories of
customer service nightmares. Wink

I still can't get over the sunglasses. I think an Iwan Ries Zippo pipe lighter would be a good accessory that would match your glasses. A hat maybe?

Hey! It's summertime and I've to protect what's left of my pretty blues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Customer Service rank.
» Want to save a buck? ECUA Sewer Averaging Period Underway
» Haleigh Cummings Update - Radio Wrap Up For Jan/31
» Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school
» RAC MKI of Royal Army Service Corps

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: