HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 am

Anybody read this ?  http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/us/arizona-girl-fatal-shooting-accident/index.html?hpt=hp_t2   A NINE year old being taught to shoot a SUBMACHINE gun!! What's next? RPGs ? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by monbla256 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:48 am

I just read the article. I am all for teaching kids about gun safety and taking them target shooting. I cannot fathom having either of my daughters shooting a fully automatic weapon at that age. Tragic as it is, it took a special kind of dumb for this to transpire.
Condolences to his family, the little one and her family as well. I'd imagine she will be scarred for life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 am

That poor little girl, having to live with that for the rest of her life, her parents should be educated about child safety, who in their right mind would put that sort of weapon in a child's hands.

Condolences to the family of the guy who was shot, such a horrible tragedy that should never have happened, so horribly sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

It boils down to a failure to show the proper regard for the abilities of a child with something incredibly dangerous. I don't care what it is. An Uzi, a chainsaw, a lawnmower, dangerous chemicals,anything really heavy, etc. A child can't process information as efficiently as us and they fail to be able to withstand the physical nature of things designed for adults. Don't put them in that situation. If I saw a 9 year old with an Uzi I'd leave and I'm a fan of range shooting. That's not a statement I'm making to make a point, I mean I would just literally leave. Just my .02
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Dumbass instructor might have gotten the
same result if he was giving the nine year
old driving lessons. Stupid kills.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Hermit wrote:
Dumbass instructor might have gotten the
same result if he was giving the nine year
old driving lessons.  Stupid kills.  

Stupid kills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

What, they didn't have any hand grenades for her to play with?

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Poor kid is going to have to live with the result of this man's total stupidity. What the heck was he thinking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm

RobJ wrote:
Poor kid is going to have to live with the result of this man's total stupidity. What the heck was he thinking?

That's the problem, NO THOUGHT was engaged in !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm wondering what her parents were thinking that range is out in the middle of BFE they didn't happen on it by chance and shooting there is very expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Terrible story, and all sorts of stuff was done incorrectly. But the same coud happen with any weapon. The problem is stupidity, not guns.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:52 am

...I certainly agree with much of what has been stated...however, as Michael M states...stupidity killed this instructor...guns did not. As a father of 6 sons (12-31years of age), I  take them to the gun range quite a bit...I still review all safety rules before any gun is touched, even with my oldest son who is also a sharpshooter and was a member of the US Navy shooting team.

I believe you have to know the child/person as well...capabilities, intellect, level of understanding, etc. as I have been around many adults that have no business having access to weapons of any kind.

In addition to my instruction, all my sons, except my youngest have completed their "Hunters Safety Course", which in Tennessee, you must be 13 years old to participate. While accidents can happen anytime/anywhere, risked can be minimized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 am

NO ONE here has said that guns were the problem! That's the standard reply when folks start to talk about guns, "...you say guns are the problem...." but that's NOT the problem here! First off what conceivable REAASON ( thought process involved here ) is there for a NINE YEAR OLD, barley 4 FOOT TALL CHILD has to learn how to shoot one of the worlds most powerful automatic weapons made? I'm a gun owner and user having learned with a SINGLE SHOT shotgun and SNGLE SHOT 22 cal rifle when I was that age and moved up to a fully automatic weapon when I was 19 and in the Marines. When I was THAT age, ANY adult that would have suggested that I "try" to shoot a weapon such as this Uzi would have been told to leave the range or my father would have decked them if we were out in a field "plinking" !! The parents of this child need to face some culpability for what has happened but hey this is just the ramblings of an old fart EX-MARINE !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:43 am

monbla256 wrote:
NO ONE here has said that guns were the problem! That's the standard reply when folks start to talk about guns, "...you say guns are the problem...." but that's NOT the problem here! First off what conceivable REAASON ( thought process involved here ) is there for a NINE YEAR OLD, barley 4 FOOT TALL CHILD has to learn how to shoot one of the worlds most powerful automatic weapons made? I'm a gun owner and user having learned with a SINGLE SHOT shotgun and SNGLE SHOT 22 cal rifle when I was that age and moved up to a fully automatic weapon when I was 19 and in the Marines. When I was THAT age, ANY adult that would have suggested that I "try" to shoot a weapon such as this Uzi would have been told to leave the range or my father would have decked them if we were out in a field "plinking" !! The parents of this child need to face some culpability for what has happened but hey this is just the ramblings of an old fart EX-MARINE !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

There are no ex-Marines, only former Marines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

pepesdad1 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

There are no ex-Marines, only former Marines.

Everyone's welcome to their OPINION! I'm a CIVILIAN and that was THEN, and NOW is NOW!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am

I have never fired any gun full-auto, but don't they tend to twist and rise when fired? Doesn't that take more than a little girl's wrists to handle? I wonder just how qualified to be an instructor this guy really was? Or if he had been drinking?

People tend to get really casual with things they are familiar with. I have seen poorly handled muzzles on every gun range I've been on. Gives you the creeps.

(Same thing with cars, the ultimate example being texting while driving. We have had some appalling wrecks around here in recent years, attributable to DWT.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!   Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

No reason for that kid to have had that Uzi in "full-auto". I don't want to say the Instructor was an idiot but........

The parents are equally to blame for what had happened. Reports state that the family was from New Jersey, a VERY anti-gun State. I guess this was a case of the "forbidden fruit" when they took the family out to the range. I'm betting they weren't "shooters" and probably didn't know a damn thing about gun safety. The Instructor should have known better IMHO.

I work on a Law Enforcement Range and I have been around guns my entire life (Through my Dad who was a Federal LEO and my 26 years as a State, County, Federal, & Railroad Police LEO). My Son, who is ten, hasn't fired a gun yet. HE'S NOT READY!!! I know, he's MY kid!!! Razz  Eventually, the day will come where I will take him out to the range for the day. I have already instilled in him, the principles of firearms safety & responsibility. When I feel he can actually handle a "live weapon" safely, then he will have his day, not a moment sooner.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile

This Gun c**p has gone waaaay too far!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: