HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Some Hope for the Next Generation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Some Hope for the Next Generation   Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:24 pm

You may be aware I'm a graduate student at a small college in New York state--if not, you probably guessed because of the incredibly pretentious way I write. Typically I don't get het up about campus politics--I live far off-campus, and I've mellowed out a bit since undergrad.

However, of late, there's been a campus crackdown on smoking, led by a vocal minority of Antis. Bear in mind, the existing rules for permissible smoking are already strict: nowhere indoors, and at least 25 feet from the entrance of any building (even further if it's the only entrance.) Apparently, that's not enough for the bluenoses, who are still "disturbed" by the large clusters of smokers who predictably gather after classes and events at the 25' DMZ. A terse email from the school literally asked smokers to "be aware" of which way the wind was blowing, and adjust accordingly. Apparently, we must now carry a weather balloon with our lighters to meet the needs of the few.

But this week, the campus paper ran a heartening student opinion piece in defense of smoking. I quote:
Quote :
I'm sending a succinct message to all those pink-lunged academics: grow a little backbone. So you have to teeter to your psychology lecture through a billowy haze? This is America, a country birthed sturdy from the roots of the majestic tobacco, a plant that swayed with pride alongside Betsy Ross' patriotic cotton.

If you want regulation, raise some white masts and sail to Singapore.
Rumble, young man, rumble! If there's hope on "the most liberal campus in America," there's hope anywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Some Hope for the Next Generation   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Hear Hear.... There is still hope!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Some Hope for the Next Generation   Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 pm

I say that is hope for sure and it ain't the kind being promised to us by a certain few candidates at this particular moment. Great timing Doc to sharre this with us!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
thomas james
Italian Stallion

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Some Hope for the Next Generation   Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:58 pm

Back in my college days, the 70's, tobacco companies came to campus and passed out packs of their brands.

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In California,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Some Hope for the Next Generation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1