HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SLOW FOOD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:52 pm

J Soshae wrote:
DrT999: "J: gas powered car heaters?"

Yep. Our '73 VW Thing has a heater in the front trunk space with a gas line running to it. We do not use it. (Seems dangerous)

ALL air-cooled VW engines used heater boxes which surrounded the exhaust pipes and this hot air was blown by a fan into the interior. This was the heating system used on ALL of the older VWs from the Beetle thru the Thing , Busses, Square Backs et all. They did not come with gas fueled separate heaters from the factory, though some folks put in separate aftermarket butane fueled heaters. I used one in each of my old 60's busses that I had years ago. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Y'alla buncha old farts. I don't remember nunna them things. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. lol!

You'll wonder where the yellow went,,,,
See the USA in your ,,,,
Ay ay ay ay, I am the ,,,,
,,,,,,,,tastes good like a ,,,,,
LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted
Double your pleasure,,,
Nothing says lovin like somethin from,,,,
,,,,,,The beer that made Milwaukee famous.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.

Last edited by mark on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:24 pm

I'd much rather think of myself as experienced and worldly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:27 pm

HoKay...How about manual windshield wipers (had an old truck on the farm with'em!), or front auto/truck windows that pushed out from the bottom to let air in, or those little triangular window vents you could open in the front seat, or the manual pop-up scoop just in front of the windscreen to let in fresh air???????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:55 pm

ftrplt wrote:
HoKay...How about manual windshield wipers (had an old truck on the farm with'em!), or front auto/truck windows that pushed out from the bottom to let air in, or those little triangular window vents you could open in the front seat, or the manual pop-up scoop just in front of the windscreen to let in fresh air???????

Manual Wipers I don't but vacuum wipers I do.
The little Triangle windows: Wind wings, I still have them and am grateful I do! Wink
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
docwatson wrote:
yep,
I'm older than dirt according to your scoresheet. Damn.
I still wish they had high beam headlight switches on the floor of my car.
affraid

You and me both Doc! It was so much more easier that way.
I'd like to know what Moron decided to put it on the blinker switch!

It was a German!! VW's and Mercedes's were the first cars I drove that had 'em on the stalk back in the early 70's Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:19 pm

mark wrote:
Y'alla buncha old farts. I don't remember nunna them things. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. lol!

LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted

Wasn't that radio only . . . as in pre-tv network radio? (they sponsored Jack Benny on some of the shows I use in class)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:22 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
docwatson wrote:
yep,
affraid

It was a German!! VW's and Mercedes's were the first cars I drove that had 'em on the stalk back in the early 70's Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Leave it to a Nazi to screw it up for everybody.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
docwatson wrote:
yep,
affraid

Leave it to a Bubba not to be able to operate them!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:41 pm

DrT999 wrote:
mark wrote:

LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted

Wasn't that radio only . . . as in pre-tv network radio? (they sponsored Jack Benny on some of the shows I use in class)

I remember it from TV and magazines, mainly because it was what my dad smoked.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
docwatson wrote:
yep,
affraid

Leave it to a Bubba not to be able to operate them!! Twisted Evil

I like Bubba, Zeke is better but, I'll go with Bubba, ya ole Peckerwood!
Back to top Go down
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Monbla, i have never seen the butane car heaters. The heater in the VW is definitely gasoline. Some of these heaters were dealer installed and some came installed from the factory.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:39 pm

THAT'S the first one of those I've EVER seen!! I've had 6 variations of the air-ooled VW since 66 and NEVER seen a gas heater !! From the tag being all in German I would say your Thing might not have been a US market model as all tag like that on US model cars were in English!! That's a first for me ! The butane powered heaters were a sort of space heater which I mounted up front against the inside on the passengers side. ran a tube along the seat rail from a butane tank mounted on the back side of the passenger seat up to it. Kept things MUCH warmer than the factory heating system ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have two friends over in Dallas who have Things and theirs DON'T have a heater like THAT!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 am

I'm not older than dirt (45), but I remember most things mentioned here. My generation is the one that seems to have been in the transition between "yesteryear", the things mentioned above, and "today", texting, internet, cell phone, etc.

I guess we had to adapt or be left behind. I can wire our house for a server to stream music and movies and I can fix a leaking faucet. I can tune a carburetor and fix an ebook that isn't formatted directly. I can cut and weld me a metal stand and I can use Photoshop to manipulate digital pictures.

The latter generations have their strengths and weakness and life moves on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 am

leacha wrote:
I'm not older than dirt (45), but I remember most things mentioned here. My generation is the one that seems to have been in the transition between "yesteryear", the things mentioned above, and "today", texting, internet, cell phone, etc.

I guess we had to adapt or be left behind. I can wire our house for a server to stream music and movies and I can fix a leaking faucet. I can tune a carburetor and fix an ebook that isn't formatted directly. I can cut and weld me a metal stand and I can use Photoshop to manipulate digital pictures.

EVERYONE wants CONSISTANCY in their Lives
The only thing CONSTANT in life is CHANGE
Welcome to life !! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 am

leacha wrote:

...and the sun also rises.  

There's so much cross-pollination of knowledge between generations now, thanks especially to the internet and realistic movies.  I am stunned by what some of the young people I work with know, as far as "old stuff" goes.  I once asked a guy in his early 20s if he had ever seen the movie Cool Hand Luke.  He answered by quoting every significant line in the movie.

There's a slight difference.  I can remember when Marilyn Monroe, to stick with the movie example, was just an actress working in Hollywood.  To the younger guy, she's a cultural icon.  Yes, I'm older than dirt, and got most of the o.p. questions.  Had to google "PF Flyers" for some reason, perhaps my loathing for gym class and team sports.  They're still available, btw.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mad Philosopher

Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Ah, if only I could have lived when DDT was still considered a good thing. It'd also be amusing to be instructed by public school teachers how to protect yourself from a megaton bomb blast by hiding under your desk. Then there is also the blissful memory of Jim Crow and all the other pleasant memories prior to the civil rights movement. Frankly, I don't understand 20th century nostalgia. Certainly the first half of it is a black period in our collective history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Mad Philosopher wrote:
Ah, if only I could have lived when DDT was still considered a good thing. It'd also be amusing to be instructed by public school teachers how to protect yourself from a megaton bomb blast by hiding under your desk. Then there is also the blissful memory of Jim Crow and all the other pleasant memories prior to the civil rights movement. Frankly, I don't understand 20th century nostalgia. Certainly the first half of it is a black period in our collective history.

Like things are so much better now? Suspect
If I had a choice, I'd like to forget everything starting from the late 70's till now. 5)
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Mad Philosopher wrote:

If I had a choice, I'd like to forget everything starting from the late 70's till now. 5)

Amen, brother. Most everything, anyway... there's still some good along the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Mad Philosopher

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Mad Philosopher wrote:

If I had a choice, I'd rather own up to how tragic the recent past has been and bloody do something about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Mad Philosopher wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Mad Philosopher wrote:

If I had a choice, I'd rather own up to how tragic the recent past has been and bloody do something about it.

That would be just fine if I could fix the world by myself but, you see it takes ALL of us to change the way things are and good luck finding enough to agree on what to do.
And we can't change the past, in fact we can only change ourselves.
Back to top Go down
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Mad Philosopher wrote:

How tragic the RECENT past has been? History much?

Man has been brutally destroying each other since life was breathed into us.

It's still happening in various ways all across the globe every day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Mad Philosopher wrote:

You are context-dropping as far as this thread goes, but compared to what?  All periods of U.S. history were stupid, hellish, corrupt, exploitative, and "black."  Isn't that that pretty much what you've been taught?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mad Philosopher

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:05 pm

beardedbassguy wrote:
Mad Philosopher wrote:

Technology has enhanced the destructive capacity of mankind, compounded with increased agricultural efficiency meaning there are more people to compete with economically and destroy militarily. Mass starvations have also met record deaths because there are (or were, yet still are) an unprecedented amount of people to feed. Total war is a recent invention, rising at once with the supremacy of air power and the strategic bombing of cities.

I knew I was going to face obstacles by posting a contrary opinion to this whimsical nostalgic view of the past when everything was just so grand....but in making it such a large target I couldn't help but put my two cents in. If you compare the 1950's to hunter gatherer prehistory, of course one is not going to sound as preferable to the other. That dosen't make the opposite a paragon of progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: SLOW FOOD   Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Mad Philosopher wrote:
beardedbassguy wrote:
Mad Philosopher wrote:

Technology has enhanced the destructive capacity of mankind, compounded with increased agricultural efficiency meaning there are more people to compete with economically and destroy militarily. Mass starvations have also met record deaths because there are (or were, yet still are) an unprecedented amount of people to feed. Total war is a recent invention, rising at once with the supremacy of air power and the strategic bombing of cities.

I knew I was going to face obstacles by posting a contrary opinion to this whimsical nostalgic view of the past when everything was just so grand....but in making it such a large target I couldn't help but put my two cents in. If you compare the 1950's to hunter gatherer prehistory, of course one is not going to sound as preferable to the other. That dosen't make the opposite a paragon of progress.

I'll say again... Do you even know history? Your notions of total war and mass starvation are nothing new. And are definitely not recent inventions. Mankind has been fighting, committing genocide and utterly destroying whole civilizations since before we could even keep a written record of it. And there have been famines and lack of food recorded for THOUSANDS of years. there is nothing new with what is going on. We like to think ourselves more "civilized" in the western world, but in reality we aren't.

And for the record, my objection isn't to your " posting a contrary opinion to this whimsical nostalgic view of the past when everything was just so grand". Everyone's nostalgic view is rose colored. Mine included. (The 90's were the best!) My objection is to your assertion that we are somehow a more terrible society now more than ever. That's a complete load of crap from a historical context. Mankind will do everything in it's power to destroy itself, and better technology will never change it. Technology may even make our mutual destruction much more efficient. But that doesn't make us any different than those who came before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SLOW FOOD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next