HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bit again...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Just when I think I got this thing down, like a snake, it comes up and bites! Some of you guys talk about a morning smoke, lunch time pipe session, and an after supper go at it... I could never! I believe a lot of it might have something to do with my packing. Sometimes I know it's a shotty pack, but I proceed anyway, for some reason. After a year of smoking, I've had enough good smokes to know when I "seem" to do everything right but I also have my fair share of WTF moments.

Here's to pushing on and hopefully less leather mouth!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Meh. Been pipin' for 50 years and still commit sins against protocol. I tend to overpack, thinking the smoke will last longer. And if the tobacco tastes really good, there is a tendency to puff too fast. Pipes left unclean until the draft hole becomes restricted. All can lash the tongue and palate. You aren't alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 pm

The bottom of the bowl makes all the difference. My mistake is trying to make the bowl last a little longer. If the dottle is damp, it seems more flavorful but a steam burn is sure to happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:05 pm

The bite usually gets me when I switch to a different baccy. I'll the same one for a while then decide to mix things up and try to smoke the different blend the same way, ouch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Have been smoking the evil weed in a pipe now for 40+ years and I STILL get bit occasionally . A pipe goes in my mouth right after my breakfast and I have one in and out all day well into the evening while I'm just "living" my life and I at times don't pay attention to my smoke and BINGO it gets me !! Twisted Evil  No big deal as that's just "pipe smoking"  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm

It funny, but I seem to get bitten more as I get older. Like others, it seems to happen when I'm distracted. Just this past weekend I had it bad. Skipped the morning and pre-dinner smokes yesterday and today and now I seem to be back to normal (whatever that is).
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Haven't suffered the dreaded bite since I returned to the pipe ~4 yrs ago.

Learning smoking cadence (slow sipping), prep, moisture level, etc, has been my salvation. And I credit BoB and all the fine pointers from all who have been my tutors!

Before that, I suffered major bite to the point that my poor tongue was wiped out for literally days. It put me off the pipe for 8 yrs or so!

So kudos to all here who have been so helpful in my journey.

cheers

Cheers,

RR

x 2x 6  
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm trying to get the right moisture level ( I tend to like my tobacco on the dry side) but it still gets me if I smoke more than two days in a row. And admittedly I am a bit of a puffer, but trying to curb the desire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:45 am

The desire to see thick amounts of smoke only hasten tongue bite.

Smoking VAs has helped me smoke anything without bite. If I do start to get but it's for the same reason others have mentioned: lack of attention to the pipe. When I hang Christmas lights, I generally get bit. The post light hanging hot cocoa spiked with rumple minz generally reminds me to be careful in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Retrogasm

Registration date : 2014-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Bit again...   Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 am

gravel wrote:
Smoking VAs has helped me smoke anything without bite.

VA's are liking walking on broken glass for me, one foot wrong and the bite and burn is immediatly there, and I've managed to completely burn out my mouth, tongue and roof included. I figured I needed practice and did nothing but VA for a week or two and, much like you say, I haven't had any problems with other blends since. I guess balance walking the Niagara falls makes crossing a river on a log somewhat trivial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bit again...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: