HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Empty
PostSubject: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

You can't see the Damascus steel in these pics of a pair made for a commission.  The photos were taken to highlight the ubber level Curly Maple handles with their mosaic pins.  Handle contours aren't like the more modern slim fit designs, they mirror a more US Colonial feel.  Back in the late 1700's handles were far more rounded, and often of a stained Curly Maple, like these...except these are not stained.  I opted for about 30 coats of 100% pure Tung Oil instead.  I like 'em.  Their feel in the hand is excellent.

The Tung Oil on these is curing, awaiting shipping to their new owner.

BTW:  The Damascus is a very nice VG10.  Great for the kitchen!

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 2014-09-13010_zps575a73a4

And a closer shot of the obverse side...

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 2014-09-13008_zps9ccdcaae

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives D6bddf10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 29400910A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 114e6110A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Ddb39b10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Cf77ce10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Dd692012A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Spectacular......., of course.

When Blackhorse is on the case...it is gonna be spectacular.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks! At least it's not something you're going to see very often...if ever.

Really, the Maple is probably the nicest piece I've ever seen. It was obtained from an outfit that harvests here in Oregon esp for gunstocks, violins, etc. Both handles were made from the same piece, so they really match perfectly.

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives D6bddf10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 29400910A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives 114e6110A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Ddb39b10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Cf77ce10A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Dd692012A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 1:12 am

Beautiful! Those are adeptly done. Very Happy Was that the huge block you got a while back? Where did you order the blades from? I've seen some nice blanks from zhen I've been thinking about.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 3:06 am

No, re large block. This was a special set of hand cut slabs.

The blade blanks were procured by the owner.

Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:35 pm

They are stunning, those handles are simply beautiful and they really do match extremely well, BRAVO. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Outstanding.
Back to top Go down
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

As an owner of one of Blackhorse's knives, I can say that his work is top knotch. I love the look of those handles. I know that the owner will be pleased with them.
Back to top Go down
http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm

You don't know any such thing! That's just a guess!

But thanks!!!

I love the handles too. The shimmer in that Maple is crazy. You hold the knife up to the light and tilt it back and forth and the dark stripes turn light and the light ones go dark! It's CRAZY, man!

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 am

Wow, those are beautiful! Excellent work, BH.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Wait'll you guys see the one I'm working on now. Nice big hunter/skinner...5" upswept blade...spectacular Raindrop Damascus. Scales are Birdseye Lace Redwood Burl, double pinned Damascus guard, mosaic handle pins. The whole nine yards. Pics should be up in a week...or so.

I rarely make predictions re how things will turn out, but I'm thinking this one will be special.

So...yeah...it's going up for sale...how's that for chumming the waters a bit?

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Can't wait to see it boss!
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Ahh. Second handle slab glued and drilled, mosaic pins in place, all clamped and setting up now. Tomorrow begins the final filing/sanding of the handle contours... then finishing...then photos.

I love it. This is turning into a pipe and knife heavy DIY, thanks to I keenum & me.

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Epilogue to the story.

The owner is thrilled with the efforts of Mr. Blackhorse.  He has created a work of functional art that I will pass on to my wifes' son.

This was a dream come true, a retirement gift to myself...couldn't be better.

Thanks, BH.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Nothing like a beautiful friendship.

Picture Bogart walking off across the tarmac through the fog with Adolphe Monjou.

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm

So...are you still glad I talked you into the smaller size on the big one?

To me, the ones you ultimately picked are the two most useful sizes you can get.

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Nothing like a beautiful friendship.

Picture Bogart walking off across the tarmac through the fog with Adolphe Monjou.

rainy tarmac at that.

Love the blade selection that BH suggested, coudn't be better.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives   A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Back to top Go down

A pair of Blackhorse Chef's Knives
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: