HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Any Cord Cutters?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Comcast is offering a deal that gives just internet service along with a subscription to HBO Go for $50/month, so I just signed up and will be ditching my $200 Fios bill very shortly. We really don't watch much TV anymore.

I have a Roku for Netflix, Amazon, and MLB, and a Chromecast for HBO and a few other things that the Roku can't do.

I am genuinely excited about this. For the first time in a long time I will have to actively think about what I want to watch at night, rather than mindlessly surfing.

Anyone else take the plunge yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

avatar

Location : Mukilteo, Washington USA
Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Not yet but we're talking about it. Ironically Comcast IS the cable company taking me for huge amounts every month that I want to get away from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Domer



Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Apart from the financial aspect, I have a quiet yearning to cut off everything and simplify life. To be more Zen.

But the security blanket of live sports, TCM, and news/business channels is powerful.
I'm not strong enough to resist.
pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Everyone complains about cable/internet rates, but I've always been fairly happy with mine. Around these parts it's Time-Warner. AWFUL customer service, but generally speaking I'm alright with what I pay for what I get.

Then again, maybe that's my mortal fear of change speaking. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Ian, you raise a good point. For a long time I was perfectly happy with cable, I just didn't watch much of it. What really lit the fire under me was when Verizon started throttling Netflix. I was paying $200/ month for every channel under the sun and they saw fit to deliberately deprive me of access to a service I had paid for (bandwidth) for the sake of squeezing a few bucks out of Netflix. That really grated on me.

I had Comcast before Fios and I was perfectly happy, but I switched to Verizon when my last Comcast promotion ran out and they wouldn't offer me a new deal. I would have stayed with Comcast, but the same service was cheaper with Verizon so I switched. I have no loyalty to either provider and will continue to go with the one that provides me with the best deal.

I am fortunate to be at a place in my life where the cost of cable is no longer a significant part of my budget, and getting back these extra $150/month won't make an impact on my monthly finances. But the fact that I was paying a lot of money for something I didn't really use, only to find that they were then depriving me of something I wanted to use, just tipped me over the edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Gilmer, TX
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:11 pm

I haven't had cable in 3 years. It was too much of a cost for us back then. We just have netflix and amazon now with our tablets, xbox 360, Wii, and laptops. We hardly watch anything anymore other than movies that we rent... Maybe once a month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
WarlockBob

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Beaverton, OR
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm

I have Suddenlink, and I haven't had cable ever since I left the dorms(before I graduated) and after. I pay for 50mB internet, and I have Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Netflix and Hulu Plus. I couldn't be happier with those, and I use my Chromecast for everything but Prime, which I use my Xbox to.

I hardly even use these, but I can definitely justify the costs of them versus cable and internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

avatar

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I have TWC for both TV and Internet and all is well..  I also have Amazon Prime and XM internet (love my MlB) I have no problems watching the Prime movies and TV series that I missed.  This winter I plan to watch 24 from the first show to the last.  I pay around $130 a month to TWC and $99 a year to Amazon which alos include 2 days shipping.  I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm

I have Comcast and pay just south of $20/mo for their most basic cable package. As I watch so little TV these days it's all I need for the local news and weather, and occasional PBS or Discovery channels. That's all I really need, and still offers about 70-something channels that are totally worthless IMO.

I can't get the History channel as I used to like that one but it's not on the basic package, and any upgrade would likely quintuple the cost. So nuts on that!

Don't care about netflix or sports so that's not on either. Never understood why one can't pick and choose the channels one is interested in. The packages they offer are mostly a waste.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Simple Man

avatar

Age : 56
Location : Atlanta-ish
Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm using Comcast for internet only, still it costs me about $70 a month when they get done figuring in all of the taxes and stuff. I really resent paying it each month, but I guess I am a bit of a tightwad. Laughing

For television, I just use my Roku for Netflix. Not a whole lot on there either, except for some decent documentaries from time to time... I did get involved with the series Breaking Bad and had to stay glued until I got to the end of it. I'm avoiding finding any more series like that. Too time consuming, I didn't get hardly anything else done until I finished it. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 pm

I basically have Comcast just so I can watch Game of Thrones every spring... What an expense for 2 months of television! However, I do enjoy other programs as well, but could live without. These shows are: Brewdogs, Outlander, HGtv, some basic television programming and of course my Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates!

I commend you for cutting the ties!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Used Roku for awhile. Transitioned to the Amazon Fire box when it came out. Screw Time Warner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:24 am

Ain't got no TV at all. There's too many time-sucks in my life as it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Ain't got no TV at all. There's too many time-sucks in my life as it is.


THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Going on 2 years and no TV.  Internet for news and Netflix for movies.  

Time to enjoy LIFE not TV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

Hey PB, how do you like the Fire over the Roku? I was thinking about picking one up for the bedroom (the wife often hides up there when I watch Football). Its about twice the price of the Roku, but it will let me watch everything I want one device.

Brewdude, If you haven't watched the History Channel in a few years, you aren't missing anything. It has gone the way of TLC, no more History just quasi-realty TV. Smithsonian channel was great, though, I will definitely miss that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:13 am

Bullwinkle wrote:
I have TWC for both TV and Internet and all is well..  I also have Amazon Prime and XM internet (love my MlB) I have no problems watching the Prime movies and TV series that I missed.  This winter I plan to watch 24 from the first show to the last.  I pay around $130 a month to TWC and $99 a year to Amazon which alos include 2 days shipping.  I'm happy.

I have Amazon Prime, but I also have Netflix. I prefer Netflix for streaming/selection, and it's not very expensive so I dont' worry about the duplication of services - after all, Prime more than pays for itself with the shipping it covers (which is why I signed up for it).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 am

Dave. If you have Amazon Prime get it... If you don't, stick with Roku.  

The Amazon remote is way to easy to lose.
Not as many options as Roku as far as stations go (wether you call them apps or channels.) but all the important stuff is there.
Amazon does have a nicer interface.

I bought the Amazon box when it was $100.  I bought the Roku 3 when it was $100.  For $100 Amazon wins. If Roku 3 (or better) is $50 Roku wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Birmingham, AL
Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 pm

My wife must have Directv for the Cooking Channel & Food Network. The internet is mine for Minecraft & League of Legends.

Now if we could just get fiber internet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 27
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house in 09. Only internet and roku since me and my wife got our own place. It's funny my kid doesn't like commercials at all. We visit people and he'll is watching cartoons then a commercial comes on. He asks us to start the next episode of the show. He doesn't understand that he can't select exactly what to watch on cable and there are interruptions every few minutes. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:13 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house in 09. Only internet and roku since me and my wife got our own place. It's funny my kid doesn't like commercials at all. We visit people and he'll is watching cartoons then a commercial comes on. He asks us to start the next episode of the show. He doesn't understand that he can't select exactly what to watch on cable and there are interruptions every few minutes. Twisted Evil

That's funny. We still don't really let my son watch much TV. I bring him to MLS games so I thought I would let him watch a little of the World Cup and he loved it. Now I started letting him watch a little football and he keeps asking me "daddy where'd the football go, put it back" each time there is commercial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't PAY for anything!! If it's not free, I don't have it as I live on a small fixed income so it's broadcast only for me!! I really don't know as I've missed all that much except for some of this years NSCAR! Gotta keep my priorities in line Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Besides if I paid for cable etc I wouldn't be able to afford to smoke my pipes !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm

WarlockBob wrote:
I have Suddenlink, and I haven't had cable ever since I left the dorms(before I graduated) and after. I pay for 50mB internet, and I have Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Netflix and Hulu Plus. I couldn't be happier with those, and I use my Chromecast for everything but Prime, which I use my Xbox to.

I hardly even use these, but I can definitely justify the costs of them versus cable and internet.

Oh! You mean SuddenStink! One of the worst providers I've ever had and I've had quite a lot.
I use to have Cox which was great till these nimrods came in and swallowed them up, now there trying to shove 10 pounds of horse manure in a 2 pound bag by offering digital etc, etc. and trying to shove it through an antiquated system. So that means I loose have my stations most the time at peak hours. I have nothing good to say about them and I've made it a point to tell them that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Hey PB, how do you like the Fire over the Roku? I was thinking about picking one up for the bedroom (the wife often hides up there when I watch Football). Its about twice the price of the Roku, but it will let me watch everything I want one device.

Brewdude, If you haven't watched the History Channel in a few years, you aren't missing anything. It has gone the way of TLC, no more History just quasi-realty TV. Smithsonian channel was great, though, I will definitely miss that one.

Humph, sorry to hear that Dave. Used to be pretty good when I first started watching it back around '98 or so. Had a boatload of channels back then but the cost didn't justify the small amount of return it brought. So I paired it down to just the basics. Don't remember the Smithsonian channel though.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 pm

We have had Dish Network sattelite since '95. I never watch it, but my wife never turns it off. Only thing I can stand to watch is sports, and if I can listen to the game on the radio I'm happy. I never got into the newer streaming technology. I've nothing against it, just happy to ignore it. Oh, I guess we do have Netflix and I do like the occasional classic movie. I watched The African Queen on Netflix last Saturday.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Hey PB, how do you like the Fire over the Roku? I was thinking about picking one up for the bedroom (the wife often hides up there when I watch Football). Its about twice the price of the Roku, but it will let me watch everything I want one device.

Brewdude, If you haven't watched the History Channel in a few years, you aren't missing anything. It has gone the way of TLC, no more History just quasi-realty TV. Smithsonian channel was great, though, I will definitely miss that one.

Humph, sorry to hear that Dave. Used to be pretty good when I first started watching it back around '98 or so. Had a boatload of channels back then but the cost didn't justify the small amount of return it brought. So I paired it down to just the basics. Don't remember the Smithsonian channel though.


Cheers,

RR

I still think it's the best channel on all of cable, it be better if they'd just get rid of that cockamamie Nose Pickers and Con Stars. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
Any Cord Cutters?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Parachute Nape Strap

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: