HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any Cord Cutters?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I only used netflix and hulu for 2 years. We recently moved into a new house and took the plunge to bundle internet with cable (because there was an introductory offer of course). It comes out to about $80 a month, which is fine for our budget. Before we were trying to save by not using cable but between my MLB yearly, Netflix monthly, and UFC monthly subscriptions, it's pretty much the same cost. And I must say it is really nice to be able to watch the news and Sportscenter again!

You know, as much I want to NOT like ESPN, I can't help myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:09 pm

idbowman wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:
I only used netflix and hulu for 2 years. We recently moved into a new house and took the plunge to bundle internet with cable (because there was an introductory offer of course). It comes out to about $80 a month, which is fine for our budget. Before we were trying to save by not using cable but between my MLB yearly, Netflix monthly, and UFC monthly subscriptions, it's pretty much the same cost. And I must say it is really nice to be able to watch the news and Sportscenter again!

I know! ESPN can be a time suck but it's nice to be able to keep up with the sports that matter to me in one spot, rather than scouring the internet for each individual team/sport for the latest information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:38 am

idbowman wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:

ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN 3 are available online via the Watch ESPN app. You can stream them through Roku or Fire TV (I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I use). You need a participating provider, which, fortunately for me, Fios is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 pm

[quote="pepesdad1"]
Richard Burley wrote:
Ain't got no TV at all. There's too many time-sucks in my life as it is.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Going on 2 years and no TV.  Internet for news and Netflix for movies.  

^^^^^^^^^this for me too. No TV here on the mountain. Just an iMac for Netflix and Internet access.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 pm

That by definition is cord cutting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 am

I cut the cord years ago, and haven't looked back. I have Netflix, the sweetie has Hulu. In fact, our tv finally kicked the bucket about three weeks ago and we haven't bothered to replace it. To be honest, other than for watching movies, I'd be surprised if we do replace it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
BriarFox

Registration date : 2013-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:40 pm

We cut the cord earlier this year. I was tired of paying so much for a bunch of crap. We get the local CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, WB, PBS, and a few others on a digital antenna. We have a Sony streaming box on the TV in the sunroom and purchased a Amazon Fire TV box for the TV in the family room. Paid for Amazon Prime (which has already paid for itself in shipping costs) and have a Netflix subscription. With the money saved (around $100 month) I purchased a Chromebook which has an HDMI port. I can connect it to the TV and stream directly off the internet for which the streaming boxes can't do. Typically this is from the TV stations web page where you can stream things they day after they air. I also purchased this season of The Walking Dead on Amazon Prime. It was the only show I really watched when we had cable/Dish?Directv. I paid $26 to stream it and just have to wait until the day after it airs on AMC.

We (the whole family) do not miss cable one bit. We still have internet through Charter and they will probably raise internet rates as more people get tired of the high bills for little in return. Fortunately there isn't the monopoly on ISP's like there is for cable/satellite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Anyone else take the plunge yet?

Never really was a big fan of television, or most movies, so it was an easy choice. Did it decades ago now. I've since sometimes had cable because it was cheaper, but found it went mostly unwatched. With 99% of entertainment being the mental equivalent of the worst aro on earth, it's not hard to pass it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:41 pm

It's been nearly a year since I started this thread. I did take the plunge...sort of. Fios let me drop my plan to internet and local TV, this allowed me access to HBO which they through in for free. We don't watch the HBO channels, but we do use HBO Go on Roku and Amazon Fire. So far I have no real complaints. I save about $125/ month and we watch about as much TV as we always have - we just choose what we want to watch vs. watching whatever might be on. We do subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and MLB.tv, but I subscribed to all but Hulu before dropping cable as it was. Sometimes try to watch sports gets a bit frustrating, but never so much that I consider going back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 pm

12 bucks a month for a landline, 1o bucks a month for what is called DSL, and my satellite dish that I tune myself for mobile internet. Rode that wave of entertainment without participation when the kids were home.

Done with that now.

Music, books, thoughts, clouds. These and forums are now my best bet for entertainment........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Any Cord Cutters?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 pm

I bought a Tivo and a solid HD antenna, I cut TV out of the package that we have with AT&T. Saves us at least $90.00 a month. The only bummer is no MNF. Other than that we don't miss it. We still pay for Netflix streaming and we do have an Amazon Prime membership which more than pays for itself over the course of a year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Any Cord Cutters?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3