HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Lay-off machine is cranking up again

Go down 
AuthorMessage
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 pm

For the fourth time in seven years, the company I work for is gearing up for another round of cut-backs and layoff.

To be honest, this has become so old-hat at this point that I don't really get to worried any more. Que Sera Sera, really. Objectively, I'm the point person for way to many things to be first in line for the chopping block - not to say that I feel "safe," just that the cuts would have to be awfully deep (significantly deeper than ever before, and deeper than the budget requires) for me to take the hit.

Part of me hopes I'm axed. The industry is in the midst of its swan song, upward mobility is minimal-at-best, and there is NO sense of satisfaction at the end of the day/week/month/year. Taking a hit in income would be rough, but if it forces the hand I've been reluctant to play - that is, actively seeking new employment - then it's probably for the best. My wife teaches 2 hours away and lives with her sister during the week, home on weekends/holidays/summer - she loves her job and I wouldn't mind relocating a bit further south (tough market to find work, though...especially since mine is the higher income that would need to be replaced).

It's really the thought of losing other people that gets me anxious. With only one or two exceptions, the folks are work with are good, good people who deserve better than this. They're good at what they do, most have a great work ethic and are a genuine pleasure to be around. I'll be sad to see them go. And on top of that, those of us left behind will have to figure out how to get that workload done. Well, not really. The "figuring out" is easy enough - we're salaried employees, so if it takes 80 hours to get the job done, so be it.

I'm sure those of you who have been through layoffs (and either been cut or survived it) know how it feels. Unpleasant, but things could be a lot worse - it seems that that's my workplace mantra these days.

Anyway...just wanted to gripe and moan a bit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Could be worse Bubba. You could work in the Browns Front Office/Coaching Staff, they get fired every three years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Come out towards me, at least we could hang out, amiright?

Hope it all works out...

And, two hours, that's a helluva commute...wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm

I know the feeling Ian. Seems like every 6 months brings a reorg and more layoffs. I've been lucky, but I have a lot of friends that lost their jobs. The folks that looked at it as an opportunity to do something new are the ones that did best.
Best of luck,
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Sorry to hear of that sir but, it's not surprising nowadays.
Hope what ever happens will work out for the best.
And I'm damn glad I don't have to worry about such things anymore. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

We ran the numbers last night, and I could retire right now and live the rest of my life in perfect comfort...as long as I don't plan to live past December. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 am

idbowman wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

We ran the numbers last night, and I could retire right now and live the rest of my life in perfect comfort...as long as I don't plan to live past December. Evil or Very Mad

Well, at least you'll be able to enjoy Christmas!
God willing and the water don't rise I have a feeling everything will work out to your advantage sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 am

Good luck to you Brother. For me at least most every bump in the road like that lead to something better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Always hard to hear things like this Ian. Hope things soon settle down for you in one way or another.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear this and wish you luck for the future

The only guy who can fire me is me Twisted Evil But I can't afford to fire me because someone must do the job and that's me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: The Lay-off machine is cranking up again   Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 pm

In my profession (Learning and Organizational Development) this kind of stuff comes up A LOT!!

On the one end companies do in fact keep in mind the lives they are affecting, but at the same time it still comes down to finance. I cringe every time I hear layoff, having been a part of two of them in different companies.
I hope things work out for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Lay-off machine is cranking up again
Page 1 of 1