HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Semois

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Hey, I didn't realize that La Brumeuse Semois was readily available at P&C! Where have I been? Order on the way!

Anyone else order this stuff? How is it? What have I been missing?

Semois D6bddf10Semois 29400910Semois 114e6110Semois Ddb39b10Semois Cf77ce10Semois Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Hey, I didn't realize that La Brumeuse Semois was readily available at P&C! Where have I been? Order on the way!

Anyone else order this stuff? How is it? What have I been missing?

You've missed nothing really, just some dry one dimensional mild Burley 'baccy! I tried two ounces and was NOT impressed what with all the hype it's gotten !! JMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 3:21 pm

I just got some; haven't opened the foil bag yet. I figured on doing so sometime this month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 pm

I did try some a friend gifted me and found it well hydrated and enjoyable. I just don't know if it was the same source.

As with all blends, some guys love this others love that. As one who has a good affinity to most things Burley, I'm thinking' I'll like it. Hope springs.

Doc - looks like I'll be reviewing for you then! lol

Semois D6bddf10Semois 29400910Semois 114e6110Semois Ddb39b10Semois Cf77ce10Semois Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
allyby

allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 3:53 pm

If you want to get rid of your loved one the room note will suffice! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 3:54 pm

I don't smoke indoors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 5:20 pm

I like it. I don't care that it's not complex. Here's my review of it:

While not very complex, there are a few noticeable flavors. It's earthy, a little spicy with herbal/floral notes and a little bread and light nutty sweetness. Has a decent nic-hit. I only get a little feeling of cigar or cigarette here, and I think that mainly comes from smoking it fast. It needs to be sipped, especially if you smoke it dry as is suggested. It will burn hot and you'll lose some of the characteristics of what makes this enjoyable if you're a fast or even medium puffer. It'll make a very good mixer, but I like it as it is, especially in a cob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 pm

JimInks wrote:
It will burn hot and you'll lose some of the characteristics of what makes this enjoyable if you're a fast or even medium puffer.

Uh-oh; I'm in trouble with this one, then!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Yeah, yeah. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Semois Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0sabsxtqfw9FKLdsc82VTo7vqdAf1wDy-bNKJREqxxEe6YDUmFQ

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 8:05 pm

I enjoyed the bit of Manil La Brumeuse that I had but not enough to spring for a purchase.

One thing I will say is that my sample burned quick with plenty of flavor. There was however a strong hint of ammonia in the sidestream that I didn't particularly enjoy.

I am happy I got a chance to try it without throwing down cash for a 100g of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 8:09 pm

It's only offered in a 3.5 oz size.

Semois Pb-sza

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Yep. My "sample" was courtesy of a sneaky bomber. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 pm

I personally like it better than most straight Virginias. Just got more at 4Noggins. If plain burley does nothing for you, you probably won't like it. Earthiness most of all, with slight spice, slight cigar, slight cigarette and tons of nuttiness to my taster. Rocks in a cob. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever smoked it in anything else. It's supposed to be smoked dry, which enables you to really pack it hard and still draw. Didn't Greg Pease or somebody here say it would mildew if moistened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 pm

I like it, but I like burley. It has more sweetness than I usually get from a straight burley. Not a daily smoke, but I'm glad I bought it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 pm

The only real review base on 'that site' details a couple of Windels semois varieties...different cuts I guess. There are several listed by the grower and maker of this brand (different cuts as well I'm guessing) with not much comment. The reviews of the Windels products are all strongly positive.

If I can smoke Tambolaka straight and enjoy it for what it is I think I'm going to be OK with the Semois.

One good thing...this stuff is supposed to be 'thick cut' which gives me more control over the burn. If it's not dry it should be fine.

Just for interest...and yeah, I know it's not the same.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2336/windels-half-grove-semois

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Looks like the stuff at 4N's is same-same.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I have to agree with Jim Inks when he says it'll be a good mixer. I've added a bit of it to several blends to good results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:59 pm

I love semois. I can't seem to get enough of it. I get mine through the pipe guys. I want to prefer a couple of bricks to cellar but they never make it that far
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 pm

BH, I'm not a huge burley guy (though that seems to be changing), but I still really enjoy Semois.  

It sounds silly at first, but it's like a burley-ish Virginia in a lot of ways.  To me, it has certain grassy/hay notes to it that I'd usually associate with light VA flakes (OGS comes to mind), but it still has that burley nut/bread/yeast thing going on.  

The "burns fast" business is no lie, though.  A bowl that usually lasts me 45 minutes yields about 25 minutes of Semois (and that's with consciously paying attention to pace/temp).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 6:11 pm

It's HERE! WheeHAWWW!!!

Newie Test Run:

Chose a smallish Peterson Samhain Apple...silver band stamped with the flying witch and HALLOWEEN designstion. Seemed like an appropriate seasonal choice.

Fodder came near bone dry, which I've read is correct for the genre. If I left it out I think it would gain moisture, this being a moderately humid climate with most of our weather rolling East off the Pacific Ocean about 75 miles away. Yo ho ho.

Packed the bowl with the fine crimp cut leaf firmly but with a moderately easy draw still present, grabbed my silver Japanese old boy style lighter and touched it off.

One charring light, one false light and a light tamp and then I was in business. Thick clouds of arrow straight tobacco smoke billow up, with a slight Burley sweetness with very subtle hints of a natural floral quality. It seems just on the safe side of wanting to burn a bit hot, but that could well be my inclination to pull up a storm. It never does get hot though and I agree that a cob might be a great match for it. Next time. The burn indeed goes at a much faster rate than traditional styles, which I hear is just the nature of the beast. There are no fancy dances of shifting flavors here, just a straightforward and somewhat progressively more potent barrage of Burley-like flavor with that subdued soft floral after taste. Every tamp takes the bowl down another quarter inch until it bottoms out with nary a hint of dottle and just a bit of dark gray powdery ash.

That's it. Hmmm. Nice! Revolutionary? No. Stunning and amazing? No. Do I want more? Yup! Next time...maybe a deep cob...like the Natural.

All in all, it's rewarding in its own way. Not pretentious. Just a well behaved and easily maintained straight smoke. Nothing wrong with that.

Glad I got it. Might be perfect for that 'one horse clay' that DocT999 gifted me a while back, that I've been saving for that right match up.

Good stuff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Sounds interesting. I like straight-forward type burleys. Might be something I need to check into sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am

Semois for breakfast? Well, after breakfast. I'm not CRAZY!

Different pipe makes it a different smoke, within limits. I was using that same Pete Samhain out on the deck last evening, late. I swear to God, a bat flew by me about a foot away and landed down on the hose reel thing close by...dangled for about 30 seconds and then took off. Man, those things fly quiet if they're not chirping! Anyway the Halloween Witch pipe in combo with the bat thing spooked me, so I changed to a tallish Dublin with a fairlybstraight narrowish bore. Smoke seems a little sweeter, not so harsh. No bats. Nice!

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Semois for breakfast? Well, after breakfast. I'm not CRAZY!

Different pipe makes it a different smoke, within limits. I was using that same Pete Samhain out on the deck last evening, late. I swear to God, a bat flew by me about a foot away and landed down on the hose reel thing close by...dangled for about 30 seconds and then took off. Man, those things fly quiet if they're not chirping! Anyway the Halloween Witch pipe in combo with the bat thing spooked me, so I changed to a tallish Dublin with a fairlybstraight narrowish bore. Smoke seems a little sweeter, not so harsh. No bats. Nice!

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 pm

If you're driving down the road with the top down going a hundred and doing drugs...you deserve bats!

Twisted Evil

Nicely written though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Semois Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
If you're driving down the road with the top down going a hundred and doing drugs...you deserve bats!

Twisted Evil

Nicely written though.

Thank Hunter Thompson. He was a very,very gifted writer indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Semois
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: