HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Semois

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with the quote. But the skill was apparent.

I only had the one bat though. That was enough.

Semois - Page 2 D6bddf10Semois - Page 2 29400910Semois - Page 2 114e6110Semois - Page 2 Ddb39b10Semois - Page 2 Cf77ce10Semois - Page 2 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:43 pm

It was the opening lines of his "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream". Glad you liked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I got a kind of psycho John Kerouac vibe from it.  Very cinematic. Voiceover like Sin City.

Semois - Page 2 D6bddf10Semois - Page 2 29400910Semois - Page 2 114e6110Semois - Page 2 Ddb39b10Semois - Page 2 Cf77ce10Semois - Page 2 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Here's one:

“Clusters of bats hung like bunches of withered grapes from the roof and when, from time to time, either Kerim's head or Bond's brushed against them, they exploded twittering into the darkness.”

― Ian Fleming, From Russia With Love

It's not art, but it's fun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
skaukatt

skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 12:51 pm

It's not for everyone from what I have found but I love the stuff.

It's a great change of pace tobacco for me and especially great in a meerschaum.

Lou
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 11:29 am

A MEER! Yeah...that sounds like a winner.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Off topic I know, but I will give you a Hunter S. Thompson teaser and a link to a review he wrote for a motorcycle magazine. It is a short read and gives you a taste for HST if you did not follow him in Rolling Stone back in "the day."

"There is a fundamental difference, however, between the old Vincents and the new breed of superbikes. If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society. The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."

http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 1:35 pm

If we start doing modern writer's quotes, I'll start throwing Ken Kesey at y'all!

But what I really wanted to mention is that I got to thinking and it dawned on me that Semois was like the Chinese Food of pipe blends. Smoke a bowl and in an hour you had a yen for more.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
flyguy

flyguy

Registration date : 2013-11-23

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 pm

I received a brick of this last week.  Thanks for the advice on smoking this.
I think this is a great sipping tobacco.  It's nice and spicy and stays lit.  It doesn't taste like a burley, it's completely different.  Oddly it reminds me of Tilbury, which is a straight Virginia.  I like this better.  I think I will squirrel-away a couple of bricks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Enjoying my second bowl of Semois gifted from "Santa" right now in my new Pete meer also gifted from Santa. The first bowl lasted about as long as a cigarette with my usual packing and I was like, wth? Then, I came and reread this thread and realized that I need to pack it pretty tight, so I reloaded and relit.

Now, I'm experiencing it the way it was intended to be smoked. First light, I got that bit of ammonia that someone mentioned, though I thought it more like cat piss, only in a good way. Laughing

It has a very nice burley taste to it, earthy and nutty are right on the money. It still burns pretty quickly, but never hot for me. I really like it and will try it in a cob next.

I was right when I said that it is probably right up my alley. I will probably keep some of this jarred up all of the time to have on hand. It seems to be a good tobacco for going about the daily routine, and will probably be a good night time relaxer while reading a good book.

I'm having it with black coffee right now, and I think both do a good job of bringing out the taste of each other. Good stuff! Thank you, Mr. Santa for gifting this to me... and I absolutely LOVE this pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Semois - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semois   Semois - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Enjoying my second bowl of Semois gifted from "Santa" right now in my new Pete meer also gifted from Santa. The first bowl lasted about as long as a cigarette with my usual packing and I was like, wth? Then, I came and reread this thread and realized that I need to pack it pretty tight, so I reloaded and relit.

Now, I'm experiencing it the way it was intended to be smoked. First light, I got that bit of ammonia that someone mentioned, though I thought it more like cat piss, only in a good way. Laughing

It has a very nice burley taste to it, earthy and nutty are right on the money. It still burns pretty quickly, but never hot for me. I really like it and will try it in a cob next.

That was pretty much my experience as well. I also thought it worked well in a cob. I basically smoked here at school, when I wanted something quick and strong (but, as you point out, overly-hot)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online

Semois
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: