HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GL Pease

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:10 pm

You know Greg catches a lot of grief for 'Flooding the market with blends' ... If you examine the pic below you'll see that it's not necessarily true... 51 blends places him 16th on the list of most blends on the market.. Minus the 10 (listed) one off NASPC blends and he's tied for 21st.. Minus the few that CANT be marketed anymore and he's tied with Bufflehead ( no longer in business, I so wish he'd have sold those recipe) for 26th..... My question is, Why don't people complain about the 25 companies above him?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:37 pm

This list doesn't surprise me at all...first, where pipe tobacco is concerned, I don't know that there really is a case to be made that anyone is flooding the market. That said, I've always felt that if someone has to be labelled with that, it would be C&D or McC.

I'm actually kind of surprised to see that Gawith Hoggarth has more blends out there than Samuel Gawith
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:38 pm

My only complaint with GLP blends, if you can even call it a complaint, is that every time I'd smoke one of his latakia mixtures that I thought I really liked, I'd find myself smoking another one that I liked even more.

This of course was leaving me in a perpetual state of constantly wondering what else I was missing.

Now that I am for the most part off latakia, I can say that the options for me from his catalog are much more clear cut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Ian, GH&Co have many blends that don't make it to the U.S.

I'm guessing here so if someone wants to research me wrong that's cool. They have more 'aromatic' flakes and ropes than Sam G.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Those numbers need to be taken with a BIG grain od salt. As an example of the 68 blends listed on TR as made by Dunhill, only 12 are STILL currently produced !! Most of the others listed are or were available in the old Dunhill stores as My Mixtures and since Dunhill doesn't sell pipes or tobacco anymore ( except at the London and New York WHITE SPOT stores) at Dunhill stores !! TR has folks who review out of production blends which are added to amounts in total for producers so some filtering of these numbers in total must be considered! Interesting, but factually flawed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:50 pm

That was my point in specifying that at least 13 of the GL Pease blends were not in production.

Does GL Pease put many a blend to market? Or.. Does GL Pease put to many blends on the market?

My opinion is that he could produce another 100 blends and it still would be okay in my book. Am I going to try them all??? No, the last 'new' blend I tried was Westminster. My favorite of all I smoked was Renassaince, followed closely by Cairo.. And then Blackpoint or maybe Cumberland.

What I don't understand is people complaining about a blender blending new variants and marketing them to us.... Would these people prefer to only have two or three choices????
Take Monbla's beloved McClellands, do they need all those variants of their Virginia offerings? Do we really needs umpteen differing Frogs? Or what about all those Oriental blends, really? Why can't they just make two blends and quit? I'm glad they produce a variety, I'm glad Pease offers a variety, I don't smoke any of their blends but I'm glad Boswell has so many choices.... Can Uhles live forever on their burley offerings? Yes, but I'd like to see what else they could do... Etc etc etc etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Blenders learn from blending. They create new processes. Sometimes they even discover what may have been forgotten. We reap the benefits. sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:24 pm

puros_bran wrote:
That was my point in specifying that at least 13 of the GL Pease blends were not in production.  

Does GL Pease put many a blend to market?  Or.. Does GL Pease put to many blends on the market?  

My opinion is that he could produce another 100 blends and it still would be okay in my book.   Am I going to try them all???    No, the last 'new' blend I tried was Westminster.  My favorite of all I smoked was Renassaince, followed closely by Cairo.. And then Blackpoint or maybe Cumberland.

What I don't understand is people complaining about a blender blending new variants and marketing them to us.... Would these people prefer to only have two or three choices????
Take Monbla's beloved   McClellands, do they need all those variants of their Virginia offerings? Do we really needs umpteen differing Frogs? Or what about all those Oriental blends, really?  Why can't they just make two blends and quit?    I'm glad they produce a variety, I'm glad Pease offers a variety, I don't smoke any of their blends but I'm glad Boswell has so many choices.... Can Uhles live forever on their burley offerings?  Yes, but I'd like to see what else they could do... Etc etc etc etc etc etc.

PB case in point : KETCHUP!! I thought about what you had asked as "... do we need so many..." and stopped at the Ketchup shelves ( you know how I LOOOOVE KETCHUP Twisted Evil ) and my grocery had 4 shelves almost 3' long FULL of KETCHUP !! Hienz has 4 varieties alone !! WHY so many? It's called CAPITOLISM !!! MONEY !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Makes sense to me !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 pm

I wasn't aware there were complaints about Greg having too many blends! IMHO the opposite would be more accurate!  Wink

Yes, me's a GLP fan. No, I haven't tried them all, but what I have has always been first rate. G&H has been around waaay longer, so that might account for a smaller overall operation having more selection. Interestingly, GLP has had more reviews than G&H.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Same reason a Camero gets more reviews than a Porches... It ain't so much a matter of one's faster than another it's just ones more expensive than the other and fewer people buy it.

For the record the 2014 Camero Z28 is faster than a Porsche 911CS but it bears now bearing in this post. Lop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:16 am

MisterE wrote:
I wasn't aware there were complaints about Greg having too many blends! IMHO the opposite would be more accurate!  Wink

Yes, me's a GLP fan. No, I haven't tried them all, but what I have has always been first rate. G&H has been around waaay longer, so that might account for a smaller overall operation having more selection. Interestingly, GLP has had more reviews than G&H.

Agreed.

I really like some of his blends, and don't care much for others, and I'll admit that some of his blends do run together in my mind, but I wholeheartedly think that what he does is a benefit to the pipe community.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 am

MisterE wrote:

look's like an answer looking for a problem..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
MisterE wrote:

look's like an answer looking for a problem..  

It was a response to the OP's opening statement. That's all.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:31 pm

He was erroneously implying no one fusses about Pease flooding the market..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 am

I was agreeing with you.. that I was not aware there was a GLP problem. I was implying that the material in the OP was an answer to a problem that didn't exist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:50 am

puros_bran wrote:
He was erroneously implying no one fusses about Pease flooding the market..
I've never read on boards or heard at shows anyone fuss about GLP flooding the market. I do hear people comment on C&D's long list pretty often. I have a feeling that will change with the Laudisi/Tarler merger. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Ok. The. I recant. Bullwinkle and that lax fellow are right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:40 pm

If you think GLP has a lot of blends, try the list of ones ( under ALL brand names) MADE BY STG in Denmark Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil They make Greg's list look like a one trick pony !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:23 pm

There have been people here, at other pipe forums, and tr.com that have accused Pease of creating blends, hyping them up, repeat... But it's moot arguing the point... I was just attempting to show different.

I don't care how many blends any house puts to market...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:18 am

My complaint with overproduction of blends is that some guilty parties paired a huge production with a lack of tin description. Namely C&D of a certain era. I'd go into a b&m shop that had a bunch of tins on the shelf with the name and no info. There's too many to memorize so I didn't pick up tins I would have tried if there was a description. Too bad.
Glp tins always have some info. I like that. I have heard people complain there are more blends in a series than is necessary. Specifically the Fog city series and that older English series. But the complaint I hear most for glp is that some blends seem "green" in a new tin. At least that's the talk here Falls Church.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

No tin description, or a nonsensical tin description is a NoGO for me also. At the very least call it a Virginia/Balkan/English/Burley    

The green blend:That ripped around the Internet for awhile too... GL Pease put out a post about it somewhere. Don't remember if it's his briar & leaf or if it was a pipe mag/ ezine.  

Basic version:  His blends are no more or less green than any other blenders blends. With the possible exception being that they don't sit on the store shelf for months and months before being sold how could they be?   The supply chain is the same for all blenders.  Order tobacco, process into a blend, put in can, ship out.    Greg and most other blenders outsource/partner their production but the process is the basically the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:39 pm

puros_bran wrote:
That ripped around the Internet for awhile too... GL Pease put out a post about it somewhere. Don't remember if it's his briar & leaf or if it was a pipe mag/ ezine.  

Basic version:  His blends are no more or less green than any other blenders blends. With the possible exception being that they don't sit on the store shelf for months and months before being sold how could they be?   The supply chain is the same for all blenders.  Order tobacco, process into a blend, put in can, ship out.    Greg and most other blenders outsource/partner their production but the process is the basically the same.

Funny how things change ! 50+ years ago when I started pipe smoking, we ALL wanted "fresh" 'baccy to smoke !! So anything that was sitting on B&M shelves more than a month was suspect as being "to old" Twisted Evil But then all the Ageing of the 'baccy in those tins had been done by the blenders BEFORE they blended and tinned it !! So the truth was we were buying "old" 'baccy when we bought our "fresh" tins !! Twisted Evil But now days WE do all the ageing FOR the blenders with all the Cellaring going on !! Times change and as always, it's Onward thru the Fog !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Greg's world domination is only hindered by snickering at haters that can't figure out he makes tobacco he likes to smoke, and a few other people agree it's worth their time.

Tinder Box, on the other hand, has had the same 40 tobacco blends since 1928, when Monblahblah was just entering retirement age.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Greg's world domination is only hindered by snickering at haters that can't figure out he makes tobacco he likes to smoke, and a few other people agree it's worth their time.  

Tinder Box, on the other hand, has had the same 40 tobacco blends since 1928, when Monblahblah was just entering retirement age.  

Cool

Glad to see nothings changed with ya kid !! How ya doin'? Haven't seen ya around here much ! Don't be such a stranger as it can get kinda boring around here without ya !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease    Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:09 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Glad to see nothings changed with ya kid !! How ya doin'? Haven't seen ya around here much ! Don't be such a stranger as it can get kinda boring around here without ya !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

So it's my fault you're bored? Razz

I'm doing shitty, but still kickin'. Seems to be the tune for a lot of us.

Thought I might post once in a while, keep some of the birdbrains on their toes, the old men something to wave their canes at in disgust, tell all the newbies their tobacco choices suck, and generally distract myself.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GL Pease
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: