HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

BoB and Other Boards

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: BoB and Other Boards   Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Prior to taking up my pipe again and before my cancer, I was a regular on a wine board discussing the wines in my cellar and wine in general. It was fun to compare tasting notes, learn about wine, and meet some interesting people. After rejoining and spending a month on this board, I posted the following topic on the general forum board (see below).

I'm including this because I want to thank everyone for all the hospitality and friendship they have shown me in my short time here at BoB. This board is EXACTLY the community I mentioned wanting to be part of in my post - unpretentious, fun, friendly, compassionate, supportive, learning, and filled with truly great people. I'm looking forward to hopefully many years of getting to know everyone here on this board. It has been such a pleasure already and just wanted to personally thank everyone.

----------------------

After about a three year hiatus to beat my cancer I decided to wander on back to Wine Beserkers and catch up on vintages I've missed, hear about exciting new wineries, and share in the fun of give and take that made this Board such a pleasure over the years.

Maybe I've changed but I was surprised to get such a different feel from the moment I logged on. Some of the forum topics and their content are just downright obnoxious - filled with rancor, insults, and real personal venom. But it's not only that. I always liked this Board because it had a real sense of comradarie - a real desire to get away from the pompous style of other wine Boards. I met people on this Board who taught me about wine, tapped the glass with me, and over time became great friends. I was surprised - and really, really disappointed to not see much of this anymore.

I'm not trying to be Pollyannish about this. There were always some great rip snorting debates about wine making techniques, what brix to pick at, or simply who was the best new up and comer on who's mailing list we MUST simply be on. There was always the Serge who fired his ridiculous broadsides just get a reaction. But through all of that it was FUN and we never seemed to take ourselves too seriously.

As I've said, maybe the cancer changed me. But I know I've learned one thing. I want to be part of a community that is constantly surprising each of us with its generosity, loves to learn, supports its members through thick and thin, and gathers for the love of wine, laughter, and friendship.

I'm not knocking the whole Board - or anybody on the WB crew who made all this possible. And I hope this doesn't come across as a egotistical rant. I just wanted to let everyone know it's unlikely I will be spending that much time here (as I hoped I would be) because it simply isn't the community I knew nor the one where I want to spend most of my time. I wish everyone the best of times in the future and wanted to thank everyone for their support through the years. Finally, here's my fervent hope that Wine Beserkers provides future members with as much pleasure as it has given me over the years. My best wishes.

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 am

Have you tried the wine library discussion board?

http://forums.winelibrary.com/index.php

I've rather let that board go, as I stopped drinkin wine every day to help get my blood sugar down (which has worked), but on the whole it's a good group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:33 am

TMacphersonNH, I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties on the forum that you once loved
but, in my experience these things seem to happen to alot forums and can't really be
blamed on one thing. Sometimes peoples views change for one reason or another or newer members feel wrongfully intimidated by those with more knowledge and lash back without
cause. Sometimes it just takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch, which ever has occurred I hope you'll always feel at home here and know that no one of intelligence will intentionally insult, embarrass, harass or otherwise make your stay here uncomfortable for you.
And I'm a pretty sarcastic SOB from time to time and I hope that you and others can understand my sometimes off or dry humor and know it is intended to be all in fun. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am

I doubt it's you that changed. I think the internet chat forum culture as a whole is becoming less hospitable than it had been. I personally think this is a result of social media and the way we now create and cultivate an internet persona that often has no bearing on our true personality. The cigar boards strike me as the worst offenders, but I have even stopped frequenting the fly fishing forums, because the community seems to have devolved into something else. It seems the forums take on a life of their own, and suddenly forum politics take center stage and the actual subject of the forum falls into the background.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Nicely worded post Tom. I guess it's like any organisation; it's the people that make it, and memberships and relationships are such a complex dynamic that are under constant change. Sounds like some of the characters on the other forum were rather pretentious if you ask me. It's good to have you here though Tom and, in my short time here, I've not seen any such evidence of similar behaviour. The BoB is indeed a rare find with a rare breed of folk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm glad you've found this forum agreeable. Overall it's a great bunch of people. We do have a problem here or there as most sites do, and members come and go, but your post affirms we're on the right path, Enjoy.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:05 pm

It's the aggresive I AM ALPHA MACHO guys (hid of course behind a keyboard) that usually ruin these board. Dave called it right, they get used to getting away with it elsewhere and bring it to the forums... Usually I just keep goading them until they cross the line to the point they get banned.. Maybe not nice but it's worked for almost a decade here. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for posting this. I believe it is good for groups to reflect on who they are and what purpose they serve. My experiences have been very similar to what Dave_in_Philly described. I use to post on a lot of flyfishing forums and found myself in arguments that had nothing to do with fishing. I don't know what is different here, but BoB seems unique. I'm glad that others see and appeciate that because it is something that needs to be protected!
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Forums are as good as the folks contributing. I used to be on a certain not to be named music-related forum that was once really great, things changed, key contributors got ticked off and left, replaced by folks that liked to argue or hear themselves talk. I left. BoB is well managed and folks here are courteous, levelheaded and caring. No doubt, this is a good forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BoB and Other Boards   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 am

[quote="Stick

" The BoB is indeed a rare find with a rare breed of folk".  [/quote]

THIS^^^^^^.  It has been my pleasure to see the workings of BoB over the past year...can't think of a place I would rather be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 pm

...BoB is a reasonable board...Other boards have come and gone and frankly, I don't miss them...I do find more "genuine" folks here or at least in their posts...

I have smoked a pipe for 53 years and will continue to do so regardless of a website or board...but having the opportunity to share some information and enjoy reading what others have experienced is a treat!

Thanks to all who make this board what it is... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:00 pm

All the boards have a style and place but revolving door is the common thread between them all. The pipe world is tiny and not segmented by specific interest and economics compared some other hobbies. Were just lumped together. Like with any hobby you'll find the boards, clubs, active pipe collectors very different. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:50 pm

PeterD wrote:

I have smoked a pipe for 53 years and will continue to do so......

You started smoking the pipe at the age of 9 (nine) ? Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:31 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
PeterD wrote:

I have smoked a pipe for 53 years and will continue to do so......

You started smoking the pipe at the age of 9 (nine) ? Shocked

Wow, that's keen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:15 pm

...yes at age 9...Not as unusual as it may seem for those of us who live in Tennessee...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:31 pm

The 'civilized' deballitated gentle folk can't comprehend that Peter...
I was on chew at 7-8... Cigs by 10.  And that's a couple decade more modern than your 'growin up' era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:47 pm

I could number myself among you, but we must be careful before we start sounding like these guys. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Lol.  Don't really care Simple.  Those that like me do, those that don't dont.. Not much gonna change that..

only took me a lifetime to figure that out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:57 pm

puros_bran wrote:
The 'civilized' deballitated gentle folk can't comprehend that Peter...
I was on chew at 7-8... Cigs by 10.  And that's a couple decade more modern than your 'growin up' era.

Interesting...several of my friends smoked cigs at 8-10...I was the only pipe smoker...and it never occurred to me that I was strange or different...Originally my smoking was based on reading Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn...and therefore a "romantic notion"...of the pipe... short lived so to speak, as within the fist few weeks I sensed I was destined to be a prolific pipe smoker...and so it has been for 53 years...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 am

puros_bran wrote:
Lol.  Don't really care Simple.  Those that like me do, those that don't dont.. Not much gonna change that..

only took me a lifetime to figure that out.

I like ya', PB... but I'm also always looking for an opportunity to post that video. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: BoB and Other Boards   Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks for all the responses. It's great to see many other both acknowledge and be able to explain why BoB is so special. The only other community I've found so generally well spirited is the homebrewing world (edit: and the world of Patrick O'Brian fans).

So thanks for all the replies and I hope I get to share many bowls with all of you - either here on BoB or in person - through many years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

BoB and Other Boards
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1