HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Shaving soap recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 am

Cella is great because of it's performance and price, not so much the smell. I can tolerate the smell, which is marzipan or almond. It's OK, not offensive but not something that thrills me. It's just shave soap though, and for an everyday gotta get it done and go to work thing it's fine. The stuff lathers like a beast. A few seconds of swirling a brush over it and I have more lather than I need (I face lather and usually make 2 passes). I have a Semogue boar and a Simpson Colonel in Best and the soap gives it up happily to both brushes.

I've tried quite a few soaps, there's a lot of stuff out there and it can be fun to play with. Most seem to be modestly OK, meaning they lather alright and work pretty well, but most are really just about novelty scents that can quickly become tiring. A lot of them are rather pricey for what you're getting.

I finally got around to trying some creams other than Proraso, which was the only cream I'd tried up til recently. Got a tub of TOBS Eton College which I absolutely love. Have a tub of their new Peppermint cream in the mail. The TOBS cream is so easy, quick and good it kind of makes bothering with soaps a pointless exercise.

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:35 am

I like the shave soap from Classic Shaving. Its a great soap for the money and is available in a wide selection of scents. It lathers well and I think for the $5.99 price its one of the better soaps out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jvillaveces

Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Tabac is my favorite shaving soap. It gives nice, rich foam; it smells great; a single cake lasts forever; plus, it uses the associations of "tabac" as a selling point. While traditional vendors such as Dunhill seek to make their brand independent from us smokers, Tabac (which doesn't smell of tobacco or contain any) uses that name to convey cachet and sophistication.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll place an order soon and will show you what I get. I also ordered a new brush to be dedicated exclusively to soaps. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 am

Been using Williams Mug Soap for 25 years and if in a bind and can't find it Wilkenson does the trick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:43 am

Finally had my first shave with a soap. It was Cella, and it was fantastic. Lots of good, slick lather that left my face feeling great. Plenty of lather for three passes (maybe the brush had something to do with this, too), left the skin hydrated and without really needing an aftershave. The only thing I don't like very much about Cella is the scent: it smells like soap mixed with almonds. It's not bad, but could be much better.

Have other soaps coming and thrilled about trying them. Thanks for all your input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kennynogood

Registration date : 2015-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:18 am

Totally digging up an old thread here, but I've recently converted in regards to this topic.

**Disclaimer--what I'm about to say may TOTALLY be common knowledge and I'm the only one just now putting 2 and 2 together. If so...sorry about the re-hash on this post**

First: My facial hair is really coarse and a difficult to shave. Switching from a new-ish razor (Gillette Mach something) to a safety razor was helpful but still gave some serious razor burn.

Second: Thinking that a change of shave cream would help, I went from shave gel to a soap/brush combo. This too was helpful but STILL left razor burn regardless of the fact that I was using 20$ Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap.

Third: A friend recommended using a little shave oil with my shave soap. This yielded mixed results--some days good, some bad..little relief.

Finally: The shave oil that I was using was the stuff you can buy at the drugstore (re: Walgreen's)--Somerset's Extra Sensitive Shave Oil. The stuff is like 6$ per small bottle, but you can get some longevity out of those bottles if you use the prescribed amount. One day I thought to myself, "What if I just use the oil with no soap...just to see what happens?" To my surprise I had drastically reduced my razor burn. I mean, with it was near non-existent with the oil. Perplexed, I continued the experiment and have yielded the same results EVERY time I've shaved for the past month.

I'm not 100% sure why this works for me...but I have a good educated guess. Oil is made of lipids (re: fatty acids). Lipids are slick and often used for lubrication in various settings. You put the oil on your face and it acts as a buffer between your baby smooth skin and the razor. Simple, right? Why wouldn't it work with the soap/oil combo then? I'm guessing it's the same reason why dish soap cleans grease off of pans and stuff. So you put the oil on your face, you then put the soap on your face, the soap breaks down the lipids in the oil, then when you shave it's like you never used the oil.

So, like I said, I'm still testing at this point. Things are working really well...sooooooo...I may just keep this little system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jvillaveces

Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:48 am

Before I grew out my beard I used Truefitt & Hill oil before the shaving cream or soap. It worked reLly well for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:47 pm

We all have THE soap / creme that is the BEST but the one thing I've done all these years which was advice given me by a Barber that I used to get an occasional shave at was HEAT !! He would pull a hot moist towel out of a steam container and wrap that sucker on my face and let it set for probably 5 mins BEFORE he applied ANY soap/lather to my beard. He said if I did a similar thing with a hot moist towel at home I could use ANY soap/creme and get a good shave with a DE Safty Razor. Twisted Evil So I've wetted a towel I use for this in a pot of boiling water, wring it out and wrap my face BEFORE I apply my lathered soap and have had SMOOTH shaves for over 40+ years now. Remember HEAT Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Kenny if Oil and no cream is what works for you then it's the right way.
I've heard half a million variations of products and procedures.. The only wrong way is following the crowd and suffering through it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kennynogood

Registration date : 2015-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Haha! Monbla you are definitely rocking it OLD SCHOOL with the steamed towel. I love it. You can't argue with 40+ years of good shaves!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RusenBG

Registration date : 2015-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Tabacc and Palmolive stick are very good performers . I use Arco also in diferent combinations .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:25 pm

puros_bran wrote:
FWIW:  Dottle did I ever tell you I spent the tender years of 2-6 in Westminster on the NW corner of the fair city?  95th Street.   Sunset Ridge Elementary...  Fond memory's of Orange Crush days. Smile

So, this thread got revived today and I was reading through all the posts and came across yours PB...Oh, what a crazy small world it is! You were just down the road from my cousins out there, who I would go visit nearly every summer growing up! They were right across Countryside Dr from Ketner Lake. We used to swim at the Countryside pool all the time.

Oh, as for the original topic, I suppose I should chime in to keep it somewhat on topic after it's hiatus Smile

The last soap I used was Edwin Jagger's sandalwood and I had decent results with it, but not my favorite. I had the chance to try some of the Jack Black Beard Lube. It's not exactly a cream, but I thought it worked great. The consistency is almost like hair conditioner, more slick than creamy. One cream I've been using recently is Simpson's Cafe Latte and I'm loving it. Easy to lather and it smells great, although I think it smells more like Guinness than a cafe latte.

How's the S2 been treating you Wet Dottle?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 am

And I'm just down the road from you now.. Don't pee in the pool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:56 am

puros_bran wrote:
And I'm just down the road from you now.. Don't pee in the pool.

And I meant to mention that too haha. Damn bluegrass gets the best of us! So...what if it's too late about the pool? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:23 pm

I just now realized this thread is still going. Smile

PB: Westminster and the entire Denver area is very different, now. There has been a boom that started in the 80's that promoted sprawl and changed the landscape irrevocably. I arrived here in mid 90's and can barely believe what has happened these past 20 years.

Monbla: it's true that a hot towel provides a great pre-shave step, but it is not for all. I'm a cold water shaver and cannot use hot water without the risk of ending up with red and irritated skin. You can, however, have as much of a luxurious shave with cold water as you can with hot water, if you know what you're doing.

Nismo: I'm loving the S2, not so much because it is a great shaver (which it is), but because I love stainless steel hardware. My other razor is a Mongoose, which is a nice way to enjoy the benefits of Feather blades. This is my current shave set-up:

I've never used JB Beard Lube, but I've used the Supreme Cream and find it to be a great shave cream. I have to try the beard lube. I use brushless creams when I travel, but prefer the pampering that face lathering with a nice brush provides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Dottle, I agree with you. I got out there a couple times in 2001-2002 but other than the view off in the distance nothing looked the same.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:12 am

I'm very satisfied with this one:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaWarrior

Registration date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Great shaving soap.   Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Arko. And pick up a scuttle to use.

Boo yah.

Matt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billm67

Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:17 pm

I have been using one that is sort of a liquid soap in a pump bottle. It is call Kiss My Face. It is great stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:27 pm

I see all these pics of neat new shaving accutrements and makes me wonder when I will have to get me some !! I'm still using the milk glass shave mug I got with some Old Spice for Christmas when I was 17 :

I got my old Gillette DE razor like this one, in 1982 and am still using it:

And am still using the silver badger brush my father bought me for my 19 th b'day. It's somewhat diminished in size from use over the years now but still performs flawlessly !!

I'm one of those who when they find what works stops looking for others!! Guess I'll just keep using this old stuff till it falls apart !!  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:28 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I see all these pics of neat new shaving accutrements and makes me wonder when I will have to get me some !! I'm still using the milk glass shave mug I got with some Old Spice for Christmas when I was 17 :

I've got several of those and like 'em. Wish they still made the O.S. pucks for them. What do you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:44 pm

I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:04 am

monbla256 wrote:
I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !!  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

I'm just wondering if you are still able to find Williams Shave Soap at the drug store as it was discontinued in July. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:00 am

SPUD 15 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !!  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

I'm just wondering if you are still able to find Williams Shave Soap at the drug store as it was discontinued in July.   MIKE

If not in the local drugstore, it is still available on Amazon at the moment
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

Shaving soap recommendation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: