HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:15 pm

MacBaren will pay!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Well it's really my fault  bom  bom
Two bowls of MacBaren, smoked two Thursdays ago (10.16) has still left my mouth in a charred state, and I have a new pipe begging to be tried.

While I can hold out until I feel ready, that probably won't happen till later this week, making it over two weeks of what is probably a combination of leathertongue and tongue bite  affraid  affraid  affraid

It could also be my constant indulgence of bbq and hot sauce. cherry

Lesson learned Mr. MacBite who burns too hot!!

But I wanted to ask the community:
What was the longest you had to endure tongue bite and/or leather tongue and what demon caused such displeasure? Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

These links btw offered some nice information
http://binsbergenpipes.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2012/01/say-hello-to-mr-leathertongue/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Every time I have gotten Bite it's never lasted anymore then a few minutes.
Maybe because I drink coffee with cream while smoking, I don't know but, the culprit
of most my tongue bite has been Burley's but, some Va's have tingled my tongue on occasion but, not enough for me to stop smoking it. Wink
Loosing my taste although happens about once or twice a year for me and the reason
is unknown to me but, shifting to stronger tobacco and using Biotene seems to get me through it. Sometimes I get it back within a week, sometimes a month. I reckon it depends on how lucky I am at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:20 am

Early on, it has lasted a day or two. I banished tongue bite when I switched to lighting my pipe with a wooden match instead of a lighter. I was scorching the living daylights out of the tobacco and consequently my tongue with the lighter. Lessons learned...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 am

So I believe that there are two things that can happen. Some tobacco just doesn't play nice, and just smoking it will "bite" my tongue. The worst example of this is the new Elizabethan Mixture, but MacBaren Navy Flake does the same. The first draw through the pipe and my tongue revolts. This sensation goes away shortly after I put down the pipe.

The second is when I actually scorch my tongue. Whether because I let the tobacco get too hot in the bowl, or because I try too hard to get/ keep it lit. In that case I think its the heat that does the damage, not the tobacco. This one lasts longer. This typically happens to me when I am distracted (or intoxicated) and don't really pay proper attention to the fight I am having with the tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:41 am

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
So I believe that there are two things that can happen. Some tobacco just doesn't play nice, and just smoking it will "bite" my tongue. The worst example of this is the new Elizabethan Mixture, but MacBaren Navy Flake does the same. The first draw through the pipe and my tongue revolts. This sensation goes away shortly after I put down the pipe.

The second is when I actually scorch my tongue. Whether because I let the tobacco get too hot in the bowl, or because I try too hard to get/ keep it lit. In that case I think its the heat that does the damage, not the tobacco. This one lasts longer. This typically happens to me when I am distracted (or intoxicated) and don't really pay proper attention to the fight I am having with the tobacco.

Dave, I agree with your two types of tongue bite assessment. When I get bit, it's usually at the end of the bowl, trying to stretch out that smoke and consequently  turning my tongue/roof of my mouth into something reminiscent of concrete. This usually lasts approximately 3-4 days, and I try to let the tongue heal for at least that long and then some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43 am

Ya normally it's the worst for me when I'm drinking with my friends because my 1 bowl a day will turn to 8 bowls in one night. Normally I wake up a feeling so gross I wont smoke anything for a solid week afterwards. My tungue normally will heal with in 4-5 days but I'll abstain for longer because I won't feel like smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 pm

I agree with the two types of burn, and at most have had 2-3 scorched days.for me switching to cigars helps. That's a bit strong actually.switching to cigars doesn't help, but it seems to do less damage when I'm in the scorched state.
And just so y'all know how smart I can be, I narrowly missed a major case of type II tounge bite yesterday when I absent mindedly tried lighting a pipe that I could have sworn I had packed with tobacco...it was a close one. Don't light empty pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 pm

I used to get tongue bite so bad it would affect me for literally a day or more. In fact it got so bad it put me off pipes for 8 yrs or so!

Surprised

After returning to the pipe and finding BoB, I learned about proper moisture levels, prep, cadence, and much more. Haven't had an episode since.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 am

To me, tongue bite is that sudden sharp pain you might feel when you do everything wrong when smoking a pipe.  Feels like a razor slicing your tongue, as opposed to just a generally sore tongue from overindulgence.

If we're talking about the latter, then I would say I went about ten years with it, only stopping for rare two- or three-week stretches in order to recover from colds.  I had a job that enabled me to smoke non-stop if I wanted, and I exploited the situation. My tongue was so raw that it had fissures, or something similar, to the point where the tongue would bleed. 

Cool, huh?  I actually threw away my first pipe collection because of it, and among them were some really decent Charatans, Comoys, Savinellis, etc.   I swore off pipes, focusing on small cigars.

That lasted about six months.  Then I talked myself into buying just ONE pipe, just to have, just in case.  You never know.  I opted for a group 4 Dunhill Shell, bought at the Dunhill store in New York when it was at 5th and 55th.  From that point it was a descent into total depravity, PAD & TAD seizing control of my will, and I ended up here.  You know how it goes.

geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...   Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:02 am

Richard Burley wrote:
I actually threw away my first pipe collection because of it, and among them were some really decent Charatans, Comoys, Savinellis, etc.

Richard, I feel your pain. No so much because you tossed your pipes but rather because I wasn't there to catch them. Should you ever again feel the urge to toss your pipes please let me know so I can e there with a large basket to catch them. Laughing

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1