HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:23 am

Guys, why are you spending your dough on the mark ups these tobaccos are being sold for?

Are you really going to tell me there's nothing in the market that gets close enough to satisfy you when there's 10's of thousands of blends out there? Don't misunderstand me, the first year or two of my pipe smoking was done with Esoterica Penzance. And not to sound all hipster but when I was smoking it there wasn't a handful of guys that would even smoke it as a gift... But now when 150 tins hit the shelf they are gone in seconds? And then 10 minutes after the mailman shows up its on the pipe boards for a 500% mark up???? Really? No thanks just give me a bowl of Odyssey.

Reiterate.. Why do you pay that price?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 am

I would love some Penzance as it was one of the blends I smoked back 7 years or so ago, but would never pay the price they are asking now. I can find something close enough till it becomes available again. I enjoy Quiet nights enough to not long for penzance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:04 am

We pay ridiculous prices for all tobaccos here in the UK Buddy, but I get the point, if folks over there stopped paying those inflated prices for so-called unobtanium blends people would have to stop asking outrageous prices for them. Fortunately you guys have got some fantastic blends that cost next to nothing especially in the bulk blends, how I wish we could get blends that cheaply here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:59 am

Like the new avatar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 am

Yeah, Kirk, that avatar is the best one yet. Says it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm with you puros. If its more than $4 an ounce I find something else. There are tons of blends and brands out there. I'm sure to find some great ones without breaking the bank. Plus at the cheaper prices I can afford to try more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:26 pm

My husband and I talk about this quite a bit actually. It's more on the cigar side and has to do with Drew Estate, but same thing. Something we have figured out from the boxes of Dirty Rats and Feral Pigs he has is that they really suck a year later. They have NO flavor at all....taste like rolled up news paper. So all that worry and stress that went with tracking those boxes down was for naught, really, because that sticks don't age for crap.

.....Makes you wonder.

The only time I have spent more than 12(ish) dollars on a tin of tobacco is all the tins of McCranie's 1985 Red Ribbon/Flake I bought off ebay last year. But, we're talking about something that already has close to 30 years of age on it. Not a new blend that is a "must have" right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:16 pm

I recently paid $160.00 for a 500 gram package of JF Germains Rich Dark Flake, $125.00 on 500gm of Samuel Gawiths FVF & BBF cut offs. They are not available in the USA and I wanted to try them. The most I paid on EBAY is $100.00 for a 8oz bag of Stonehaven. That was a couple of years ago. Once again I paid to try it, because I wanted to.

So, for me, if I see or hear of something I want to try, and I can afford it, I buy it.

Anybody who doesn't understand that, it's not my issue, it's theirs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:36 pm

The 'not imported stuff I can see.. You are paying to be a US Distributor at a very very small volume. And honestly 160 on 500 comes out to $16 per tin worth of tobacco. Not totally crazy since we are talking the good stuff. Same with the 125 for 500.. $12.50 per ton worth... I'd pay that. Totally different thing than what I'm talking about.

The $100 for 8oz.. That's Around $40 retail???? I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Not just tobacco. People are hoarding everything. Or trying to flip it on the eBay, Gunbroker etc etc. I have gotten back into reloading. A lot of what should be handy at the local gun store cannot be found anywhere. It's crazy!

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:52 pm

No faith in the Dollar and rampant profiteering??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:55 pm

I finally got to try Stonehaven thanks to the box pass. Yes, it really is that good. But not for what it sells for on eBay. I can wait until I get lucky and snag some at the normal price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:16 pm

puros_bran wrote:
The 'not imported stuff I can see.. You are paying to be a US Distributor at a very very small volume.  And honestly 160 on 500 comes out to $16 per tin worth of tobacco.  Not totally crazy since we are talking the good stuff.  Same with the 125 for 500.. $12.50 per ton worth... I'd pay that.  Totally different thing than what I'm talking about.  

The $100 for 8oz..  That's Around $40 retail???? I don't get it.

The best part is, you don't have to get it. It is not your concern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:29 pm

It's sort of like wine; some things if you really want them you have to buy on the secondary market. I dislike those who snap things up just to resell, but that's all part of the game I guess. If you buy it to show off -- hey, look at my stash of Stonehaven, look at all those bottles of Screaming Eagle and Petrus in my cellar -- I also think it's pretty silly. If you have the $ to buy what you want to use, why not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:47 pm

A little sensitive Farman?? Not sure what the attitude is about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I guess it depends on your vantage point: if you have the means and the desire, why not? It's worth what someone's willing to pay. To that person. Free market, free will, etc.

It's funny how it has become an accepted trend to hoard unobtainium and resell at a premium on the 'bay. I don't like it necessarily, but it's not going to go back to the way it was because of my dislike. Every once in a while I'll see something that really interests me, and I might make a stretch beyond what I'd consider fair just to get it.The choice is only how bad I really want it.

8 oz. 2012 Penzance at $100? Nay sez me. $25 a year seems a little steep for "age".

Meh. Neutral

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Why buy an $800.00 pipe when a $125.00 pipe will do? Both load tobacco, probably smoke pretty much the same... people buy what they want. I'm not saying this because I buy high price pipes or tobacco, because I don't. My most expensive pipe is right around $100, and I have never smoked Stonehaven or Penzance, because they are always sold out. I would not personally pay more to try either of them than I would pay for for the average tobacco price. So I may never try them, but I sure don't find fault with those who do. Their money, their hobby, their business. I'm glad we all have so much choice.

And I guarantee you that somewhere there is a guy smoking corncob pipes and smoker's pride that thinks we are all a bunch of fools for buying Pete's and McClelland blends. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:21 pm

I have had several bags of both (both found locally at under $40 a bag) and it was very good but I have had others just as good. The only reason folks are flipping them on ebay is because other folks are paying those prices. but, it's their money and their choice. I'm comfortably retired and things I buy these days are mostly 'want' vs 'need'. So, if I wanted Penzance and Stonehaven I would be buying it but instead I'm buying GPL and Dunhill products and I don't need to check every seller everyday hoping for a score. In the future I think tobacco is going to be like ammo (particularly 22lr). I have a whole stack of Remington 550 boxes of 22's in the basement and not one of them cost me over $9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Simple Man wrote:
And I guarantee you that somewhere there is a guy smoking corncob pipes and smoker's pride that thinks we are all a bunch of fools for buying Pete's and McClelland blends. Laughing

Change that to Captain Black and you have my older brother, who has likely thought me odd since I was born geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Amen Simple Man. I haven't paid over $90 for a pipe yet. There are some that once I have the cash I'll pay up to $120 but that's about as high as I'll go. It's always been true that something is only worth what someone will pay. Like baseball cards or anything else people collect. If the most you're going to get for a Babe Ruth card is $25 then that's what its worth, no matter what any book says. And there are people out there that think I'm an idiot for paying what I've paid for pipes. But its my hobby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:27 pm

To me pipe pricing and tobacco pricing are two separate things.

And as an aside to prevent anyone else from getting worked up I don't really care how much you do or don't spend on tobacco.

I was curious as to why someone is willing to pay a flippers markup on tobacco considering there are likely hundred of blends that are so close to it in make up.

The $800 pipe thing, ehh if a guy wants one I can certainly understand why he would buy an $800 pipe for $800. I would ask the same question if guys were routinely purchasing $800 pipes for $2400 off of flippers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:00 am

I sold all my Penzance and Stonehaven that was still bagged to the Chinese last year before Christmas. I bought a real nice Rad Davis and a Larry Roush out of the take. No I don't feel bad. If they wanna pay that much for it, that is there business!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:12 am

Okay. I redact my question... Apparently asking the question 'why' is bad. Forgive me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:33 am

puros_bran wrote:
Okay. I redact my question... Apparently asking the question 'why' is bad.   Forgive me.
No harm meant, just telling it like it is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.    Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:49 am

PB you know, they are trying to have the best smoking experience possible. There is a lot of hype with certain tobaccos nowdays. I love me some Christmas Cheer. I have more of it in my cellar than any other blend. I am smoking on a tin right now that is 17 years old. I can't remember how much I gave for it, but I guess it was somewhere around or close to $40.

Is it good? Yeah, it is real good. Got the crystals on it and everything, but is it any better than a 5 or 10 year old tin?

I dunno.........

My guess is, it only gets so good around year 5 or 10 or 15 or 10 or 5.

Just depends on the palate and the wallet I suppose.

Speakin of palates, this 10 year old Bulleit bourbon is kickin a$$ on any 17 year old tobacco. Man, you guys in Kentucky really know how to kick some Scotland a$$!  cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Supposed 'Hard to Find' tobaccos.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next