HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Break-in tobacco for new pipes

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

Break-in tobacco for new pipes Empty
PostSubject: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 am

Breaking in a new pipe... My go to tobacco: 5100 Red Cake! For me, it is the perfect beginning for the long journey I plan on spending with all of my pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 am

I smoke mostly Latakia blends, so I usually use something like Frog Morton to break it in. Now I do need a pipe that I only smoke non lat blends in.The cheap pipe I got with the bnb deal is broken so it needs to go back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 am

I've ALWAYS used Red Va's to "break in" either my new pipes as well s my used pipes. ( You DON'T smoke "Estate" pipes, just put 'em in the rack and "collect" 'em. You smoke it, it's a used pipe !! Twisted Evil ) My fave is another McC's Red Va., FM 2000 flake. Since with a used pipe you are not really "breaking" it in merely building the type of cake you want in it I like how quickly it builds cake. I use it in ALL the pipes I have, new or used!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 9:38 am

I like a burley like CH or Uhles 00. Right now I like Mac Barens Golden extra but I haven't burned it in a new pipe yet. One surprise was McC 2015. It cakes like no tomorrow in a new cob.

My reasoning to use burley is its easier to move the pipe up the "tobacco chain" than to move it down. But since I smoke what I like, in whatever I feel like, I never followed that plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 am

I have pipes dedicated to Va/VaPer/Bur, pipes dedicated to Lats, and (a very few) pipes dedicated to Aros, and they all get the same break-in treatment - 6-10 bowls of Carter Hall. Inexpensive, neutral, decent enough of a smoke, and gives you a great head start on the cake while leaving enough room for your blends of choice to have the final say in the matter.

And none of this "X bowls a third full, then X bowls two-thirds full, then X bowls completely full, shake the ash, swirl with paper towels, hang the bowl upside down facing northeast, sacrifice two spring lambs, perform sacred dance to the gods of fire, smoke only on Thursdays and every-other Sunday for the first 7 weeks, put your left foot in put your left foot out" stuff that I've read.

Fill it with CH, smoke it slow, clean it like you normally would, and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 6:17 pm

I've been using good ol' PA for breaking in for several years. Always burns great and builds a nice cake. And I always smoke full bowls and never had any problems. PA does a nice job and is neutral enough to not ghost.

Cheers,

RR

Break-in tobacco for new pipes Purple11x 2Break-in tobacco for new pipes Bombx10Break-in tobacco for new pipes BombBreak-in tobacco for new pipes D6bddf10 Break-in tobacco for new pipes 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Brewdude wrote:
I've been using good ol' PA for breaking in for several years. Always burns great and builds a nice cake. And I always smoke full bowls and never had any problems. PA does a nice job and is neutral enough to not ghost.

Cheers,

RR

X2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Brewdude wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken (and if I am, I'm sure to be corrected here), I think PA is what was (is?) used to 'pre-smoke' Grabows

I used to use PA or CH, but if called upon to do so in the future I might go with a slow smoker like Brown Flake Unscented or Brown Bogie
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 7:59 pm

DrT I'm thinking it was Edgeworth. I'll have to have a poke round to find some of the old ads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:05 pm

You'll never regret using 5100 Red Cake or FM 2000. Ketchup does wonders for a pipe. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
DrT I'm thinking it was Edgeworth. I'll have to have a poke round to find some of the old ads.

Or maybe we're both right, depending on when?

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/an-early-dr-grabow.43185/page-2

but the ad does say 'Edgeworth'

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Yeah, I love breaking in with red cake. Never had FM 2000... I'm going to have to do something about that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:40 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
You'll never regret using 5100 Red Cake or FM 2000. Ketchup does wonders for a pipe. Smile

AJ

I love 5100 and will try that next new pipe.

You been hangin' with monbla lately AJ?

Wink

Cheers,

RR

Break-in tobacco for new pipes Purple11x 2Break-in tobacco for new pipes Bombx10Break-in tobacco for new pipes BombBreak-in tobacco for new pipes D6bddf10 Break-in tobacco for new pipes 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 pm

ajn27511 wrote:

Captain Black White works well too. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 am

Get yourself 50g each of Tambolaka, Black Irish XXX and SG 1792, mix 'em all up in a bowl then put them in a toxic waste container, get yourself all kitted out with a fall-out suit then load up your new pipe with this concoction from hades and smoke the heck out of your new pipe until all the toxic nastiness is smoked up, every last gram of it I hasten to add.

affraid

After that toss that awful disaster zone pipe in the garbage, promptly slap yourself in the head and buy a new pipe, load it up with what ever takes your fancy at the time and realise how blissful it is that you simply chose to smoke what you felt like as opposed to worrying about it too much. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Get yourself 50g each of Tambolaka, Black Irish XXX and SG 1792, mix 'em all up in a bowl then put them in a toxic waste container, get yourself all kitted out with a fall-out suit then load up your new pipe with this concoction from hades and smoke the heck out of your new pipe until all the toxic nastiness is smoked up, every last gram of it I hasten to add.

affraid

After that toss that awful disaster zone pipe in the garbage, promptly slap yourself in the head and buy a new pipe, load it up with what ever takes your fancy at the time and realise how blissful it is that you simply chose to smoke what you felt like as opposed to worrying about it too much. sunny

^^^Pretty good point here^^^ smoke what you like, and that should do you just fine to continue smoking what you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 am

I smoke Prairie Winds in all my new pipes while weary an old leather cap back to front and shoes which do not match. If it's a pipe I want do dedicate to latakia, I don't wear cap nor shoes and smoke Presbyterian Blend for the first three Sundays.

You will be surprised to find this works like magic. Never had a burnout in all my smoking life (except while I was smoking cigarettes and/or cigars).

All my pipes hang upside down because the guy who made the rack had the measurements wrong. I don't mind though because since I've been using this rack, my pipes taste so much sweeter. No blood running into their heads. I mean, have you ever spent days on end standing on your head until your eyes pop out of your skull? No?
So why do it to your pipes?

Julle moet regkom, my klonge!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 pm

5100 is dandy, but I'm with the PA and CH group. Just fill it loosely to the top, smoke slowly to the bottom, repeat as needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 8:44 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
All my pipes hang upside down because the guy who made the rack had the measurements wrong.  I don't mind though because since I've been using this rack, my pipes taste so much sweeter.  No blood running into their heads. I mean, have you ever spent days on end standing on your head until your eyes pop out of your skull? No?
So why do it to your pipes?

I can see the logic in that.  Most of mine stand upright (bowl down) in pipe racks, but you've given me something to think about Pete.  Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 10:10 am

I used to religiously break in new pipes with 5 half bowls of PA and then 5 full bowls. But as time passed I lost the discipline. Now a days, when I buy a pipe I have a pretty good idea what I will be smoking in it, VA, VA/Per, Burley, Latakia, ect. So I just start smoking a few different blends to see the pipe likes best. Sometimes, I am surprised. More often than not, I settle down after a few bowls and the pipe works its way into the rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:15 pm

I just smoke whatever I'll be using the pipe for. No special tobacco for break in. Straight to what will be smoked in it. No half bowl/full bowl stuff. Just smoke what I want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm with brewdude, I go with the prince for break ins. It builds a nice cake that doesn't muddle up the flavor if you want to use the pipe only for a specific blend type after the break in period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:17 pm

How about whatever tobacco you like to smoke? Seems more practical than breaking in a pipe with something else. Cake is going to build no matter what you smoke.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 pm

MisterE wrote:
How about whatever tobacco you like to smoke? Seems more practical than breaking in a pipe with something else. Cake is going to build no matter what you smoke.

Yes, yes, and yes! I break in with Virginia's, and from that point I decide what pipes become English pipes... But 90% of what I smoke is Virginia based or Virginia/perique... So it's pretty easy for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Break-in tobacco for new pipes   Break-in tobacco for new pipes EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 am

There is one good reason to smoke a couple of half bowls when it's a new pipe.

Tobacco in a new pipe normally does not taste really good. Therefor we do not smoke it right to the bottom. So, while we are building the cake in the upper part of the bowl, the bottom gets neglected, no cake there.   This may cause burnout at a later stage.

I always smoke a couple of half bowls in a new pipe and make a point of it to smoke it right down until there is no more.  I want cake down there as well Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Break-in tobacco for new pipes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next