HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Talk to me about Plugs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mad Philosopher

Mad Philosopher

Registration date : 2014-11-20

Talk to me about Plugs Empty
PostSubject: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:46 am

About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments. Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 am

Triple P is pretty good stuff.

More into GLP's Jackknife Plug and SG's Kendal Plug. If you know anyone in the UK, Warrior Plug is a lovely chunk, too. All will turn your gills green with glee if you're so inclined.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 am

Mad Philosopher wrote:
About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's  Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments.  Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike

Damn! I've heard of hard to aquire blends but I didn't know there was one you had to sneak up on! You did say you had to "...stalk" up on it right ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 am

Mad Philosopher wrote:
About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's  Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments.  Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike

If you are willing to pay a premium price and extra shipping, there are a number of plugs available in Ireland/Northern Ireland (we can't order from the rest of the UK for some odd alledged credit card reason; why that would stop all other money transfer options is beyond me). Google Mr Snuff or James Fox of Dublin for two good places. You might also look into the UK rope tobaccos offered here in the US, made by Gawith Hoggarth & Sam Gawith as an alternative to plugs
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 am

Plugs are fun! You can prepare them in any way you want and get a different experience with every cut. Just remember to always cut across the grain, not along it. They're stacked individual leaves, like a book or magazine, so if you peel them apart you won't get all the components in the blend.

Since you like 3Ps, you might try Gold Brick by Wessex. Those are both steamed, so they are very dense and hard. I enjoy the VaPer (Triple Play) and Va/Dark Fired (Jack Knife) plugs Pease makes quite a bit, which are much softer.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Love ya, E, but Gold Brick and PPP are pretty darned different in the flavor department.  Gold Brick is whimsical, much lighter in taste, nic and smoke, PPP has a bit of staunch thickness to the smoke...  Gold Brick has a peculiar and delicious coffee-type aftertaste, and PPP delivers an earthy quality.   Gold Brick is almost not a plug in my book, the few bricks I dove into are pressed into a puck, but the leaf is usually patchwork and pieces, whereas PPP (or even Jackknife, KP or WP) are layers of actual one-piece leaf.   I dig Gold Brick--don't get me wrong.  I love you

Jackknife is probably the most fun and versatile tobacco I've ever smoked.   Greg has it layered with certain tobaccos like strata, the darkest stuff in the center and fades to light as it gets to the outer edges.   Cut right through the layers and rubbed out is a different experience than peeling off one layer at a time and smoking each component nearly alone.   It's one of my favorite products by GLP.  

PS, Monbla is a smartarse.   Though there is a "Deerstalker" model of pipe by Peterson, the "Baccystalker" has yet to make an appearance.   Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Another source for SG and G&H plugs is Synjeco. I've setup two group buys with them over this past year and they have been great to deal with. I'm going to be running another group buy around March/April time frame. Keep an eye on the Tobacco Jar forum around February for the new thread. Also, shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you more info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

PS, Monbla is a smartarse.   Though there is a "Deerstalker" model of pipe by Peterson, the "Baccystalker" has yet to make an appearance.   Laughing

Cool

If you say so Kyle, but then it takes one to know one Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 pm

My favorite plug is Revor. Can't get it here in the US but the other sources DrT noted carry it. Pretty stout stuff!

pirat

Cheers,

RR

Talk to me about Plugs Purple11x 2Talk to me about Plugs Bombx10  Talk to me about Plugs Bombx5Talk to me about Plugs D6bddf10 Talk to me about Plugs 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I agree, they are different tasting, but the plug style is the same, in contrast to the spongier GLP offerings. That's what I was referring to. PPP to Gold Brick is a much smaller step than to Triple Play or JKP.

Funny you'd mention earthy about PPP: I get drawn in by the fruity notes more than the depth. Dern tasticles. Everyboy's got 'em. They're just all different. Laughing

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I would recommend Mick McQuaid Plug if you're willing to order from Mr. Snuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 2:42 pm

I've heard Revor plug is similar to Jack Knife, been wanting to try both. Have triple play coming in on a recent order, excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I've heard Revor plug is similar to Jack Knife, been wanting to try both. Have triple play coming in on a recent order, excited!

Nothing similar about those to me. Revor is jacked up in flavor, body, and strength. Very strong in all those components, yet delivering a complex and tasty bowl. Absolutely for after a large supper afaic.

Cheers,

RR

Talk to me about Plugs Purple11x 2Talk to me about Plugs Bombx10  Talk to me about Plugs Bombx5Talk to me about Plugs D6bddf10 Talk to me about Plugs 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 pm

MisterE wrote:
I agree, they are different tasting, but the plug style is the same, in contrast to the spongier GLP offerings. That's what I was referring to. PPP to Gold Brick is a much smaller step than to Triple Play or JKP.

Funny you'd mention earthy about PPP: I get drawn in by the fruity notes more than the depth. Dern tasticles. Everyboy's got 'em. They're just all different. Laughing

There's fruity notes in PPP, but has this nice mushroom-like wholeness to it that I really dig.  

Okay, I'll give ya that the style is the same... quit bein' so nice to the youngin', he can load up a huge bowl of JKP and learn not to puke from green gills like the rest of us.  lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mad Philosopher

Mad Philosopher

Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions (and grammar *cough* corrections). The description of Jack Knife sounds really tasty, but if gold brick is a smaller jump in N factor, that might be a better way to go. I'll probably put in an order for several different things and try them all out. It's really a shame plugs are a tiny niche interest even among pipe smokers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
MisterE wrote:

There's fruity notes in PPP, but has this nice mushroom-like wholeness to it that I really dig.  

Okay, I'll give ya that the style is the same... quit bein' so nice to the youngin', he can load up a huge bowl of JKP and learn not to puke from green gills like the rest of us.  lol!

Cool

Good thing he wasn't asking about ropes! How many nic-lite ropes can you think of!? affraid drunken

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 pm

MisterE wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Cool

Good thing he wasn't asking about ropes! How many nic-lite ropes can you think of!? affraid drunken

Where would be the fun in that? scratch
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 4:20 pm

MisterE wrote:

Cotton, perhaps nylon. Talk to me about Plugs 710492

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 4:01 am

Another cool plug to try out is Gaslight by GL Pease. It's maybe the only plug out there with Latakia in it and it is easily available in the US. It is a perfect one for winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 4:10 am

Psmith wrote:
Another cool plug to try out is Gaslight by GL Pease.  It's maybe the only plug out there with Latakia in it and it is easily available in the US.  It is a perfect one for winter.

That one is... sort-of a plug in my book.   I consider anything I have to cut with a knife or scissors, or pound with a hammer a plug.   I can still rough-up pieces of Gaslight by hand if needed.   Gaslight is also one of my favorite tobaccos.  I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Psmith wrote:
Another cool plug to try out is Gaslight by GL Pease.  It's maybe the only plug out there with Latakia in it and it is easily available in the US.  It is a perfect one for winter.

That one is... sort-of a plug in my book.   I consider anything I have to cut with a knife or scissors, or pound with a hammer a plug.   I can still rough-up pieces of Gaslight by hand if needed.   Gaslight is also one of my favorite tobaccos.  I love you

Cool

So it's more of a 'krumble kake'?
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about Plugs   Talk to me about Plugs EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 4:25 pm

I wouldn't overlook Dr.T's earlier suggestion about rope tobaccos. A plug guy will be prone to find some appeal in ropes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Talk to me about Plugs
Page 1 of 1