HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Worrying and preparing for the inevitable

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 am

About a year ago I fell in love. It kind of snuck up on me. I thought the object of my affection was a bit of a pain in the ass when we met. In fact I thought he was down right obnoxious and poor mannered. Although his owner was pretty great. Wink I'm talking about one of my sweeties dogs. Nowadays he's my dog too. He's a sheltie and to be frank, he's a nut burger. Damn goofiest animal I've ever met. I couldn't help myself, I fell head over heels for that special little snow flake, his owner too.

Thing is, our little guy has epilepsy (pretty common for the breed) and his seizures have been getting steadily worse over the year. Tonight was the worst yet, two seizures within minutes of each other, after a month long respite. We thought maybe things were getting better as he was having them roughly every two weeks. We've both been doing all kinds of reading up on it and we've got a pretty good system down to help him recover quickly when he seizes. We've been trying to find out what causes his seizures. We switched him to a grain free diet. He seems to be in better health over all. My sweetie and I have done our research and we've both come to the same conclusion, that the meds available just prolong the inevitable and often times end up shortening it because of how hard they are on the liver. We know at some point the vet is going to suggest meds and it always felt like that was still a long way off, but once the cluster seizures start, that's usually when the question of whether or not to medicate comes up. Tonight was the first time he's ever had seizures back to back like that. It took him an awful long time to recover this time. He's resting now, but still ticking which makes it hard for him to sleep.

Tonight that thing I've tried very hard to push down came bubbling up to the top. We're going to lose him. Whether it's in a matter of months or a few years. Whether he goes in the middle of a seizure or they get so bad we have to put him to sleep, we're going to lose that pup. And it became all too clear how much I love that damn dog tonight and I really don't want to lose him anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Feazelle-n-it

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Roanoke, VA
Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:33 am

Sorry to hear that BriarBabe. I have lost many of my furry babies in my life. The latest of which were three ferrets. One to adrenal disease, one to stroke, and the last to old age. It never gets easier especially when they are so loved. I know its not an easy decision but you have to put your personal feelings aside and think what will give your loved one the best quality of life. I can't tell you what to do. I can only suggest that you make the best decision for you and your furry baby that you can live with. I wish you all the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 am

Feazelle-n-it wrote:
Sorry to hear that BriarBabe. I have lost many of my furry babies in my life. The latest of which were three ferrets. One to adrenal disease, one to stroke, and the last to old age. It never gets easier especially when they are so loved. I know its not an easy decision but you have to put your personal feelings aside and think what will give your loved one the best quality of life. I can't tell you what to do. I can only suggest that you make the best decision for you and your furry baby that you can live with. I wish you all the best.

Oh I know, it is a responsibility that comes with pet ownership. My sweetie and I talked a bit last night. We are both of the mind that so long as our pup has a good quality of life, we will continue doing our best to keep him comfy and safe during a seizure, but the day that his disease becomes debilitating or painful to him we are going to put him to sleep.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I had a ferret, Teazle, growing up. They are wonderful little spirits aren't they? We lost her to seizures/old age one day too. Its heart breaking to watch a beloved pet suffer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:24 am

Absolutely gutted to hear this BB. Sometimes seizures can actually be helpful though. I had a Tibetan Spaniel when I was younger. She had seizures most of her life. She broke her back when she was 16 years old and had to use wheels to get around. At 18 she had a major seizure that apparently rerouted the nerves in her back. She came out of that seizure and got up and started walking on her own again. She died 4 years later still getting about under her own power. When the inevitable happens though you know where to find us. Until then enjoy what time you have with your baby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 am

My wee man is feeling much better this morning. Most of the time his seizures are like pressure release valves. It's like a system reboot when he gets too stressed. We're still keeping an eye on him because that's the first time he's ever clustered and he did cough up blood (it's common, sometimes he bites himself during the seizure). I can't tell you what a relief it was to have my sweetie open up my bedroom door (we're staying at his parents for the holidays and have no plans for marriage so his mother insists on separating us Rolling Eyes ) and have Cailean come leaping up onto the bed trying to eat me alive. I've never been so happy to be covered in slobber. We're keeping an eye on him and hoping this was a fluke and not the start of his decline.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am

I think anyone that has had a furry friend for any amount of time has dealt
with his or hers passing or ailments. It's not an easy thing to deal with and sometimes
harder then dealing with humans passing or there ailments. There ever lasting love
for us and our even deeper love for them makes it hard for us to see them suffer sometimes.
My long time friend has lost his hearing, half his sight and his rear legs no longer want to work as they use to. I know it's only a short time when he'll no longer be here and it hurts me to even think about it. They stick with you through thick and thin when humans will drop you like a bad habit at a drop of a hat. God bless the animals that God has given us to look over on there time here on earth. May your buddy find find peace soon either in a cure or in deep sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Feazelle-n-it

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Roanoke, VA
Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 am

Glad to hear he's better BriarBabe!! Praying he stays that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

avatar

Age : 38
Location : PA
Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I think anyone that has had a furry friend for any amount of time has dealt
with his or hers passing or ailments. It's not an easy thing to deal with and sometimes
harder then dealing with humans passing or there ailments. There ever lasting love
for us and our even deeper love for them makes it hard for us to see them suffer sometimes.
My long time friend has lost his hearing, half his sight and his rear legs no longer want to work as they use to. I know it's only a short time when he'll no longer be here and it hurts me to even think about it. They stick with you through thick and thin when humans will drop you like a bad habit at a drop of a hat. God bless the animals that God has given us to look over on there time here on earth. May your buddy find find peace soon either in a cure or in deep sleep.

Thank you Cart, despite your gruff exterior, you're a sweetie. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I think anyone that has had a furry friend for any amount of time has dealt
with his or hers passing or ailments. It's not an easy thing to deal with and sometimes
harder then dealing with humans passing or there ailments. There ever lasting love
for us and our even deeper love for them makes it hard for us to see them suffer sometimes.
My long time friend has lost his hearing, half his sight and his rear legs no longer want to work as they use to. I know it's only a short time when he'll no longer be here and it hurts me to even think about it. They stick with you through thick and thin when humans will drop you like a bad habit at a drop of a hat. God bless the animals that God has given us to look over on there time here on earth. May your buddy find find peace soon either in a cure or in deep sleep.

Thank you Cart, despite your gruff exterior, you're a sweetie. Smile

Don't let that fool ya, I'm still a ornery cuss when it comes to humans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 27
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:50 am

Just lost one my furry family members a few months back and it really sucks. When I was growing up we had a golden retriever and who started having seizures, she went on for 6 years are so on the medicine. She did get to the size of a horse and looked like a furry keg with legs sticking out because the medicine slowed her metabolism, but she was around for over 10 years and lived a good life otherwise. Keep up the hope BB. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
bentbulldog

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Briarwood, NY (not joking)
Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:52 am

This is a very difficult topic to take in.
I grew up with dogs, that lived with me and with neighbors, and I grew very fond of them.
But they live too short of a life and it's hard knowing you will have to say goodbye. We only hope, like we do for ourselves and loved ones, that they go peacefully.
The comfort of your presence in their last days, which I'm you will provide, should be enough for them.
Best
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 pm

That's a bummer...

My 11 yo shepherd-collie mix has had 2 seizures, but months and months apart, and hasn't happened in many many months...

We have had the same discussion...don't look forward to that...

Here's to your little guy having along happy life!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Hawker

avatar

Age : 52
Location : Alberta
Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 am

Sorry to hear of your loved ones poor health BB. I'm sure he appreciates your care and tenderness that your providing and when the time does comes you'll know, you can see the look in their eye's when that ineviditable day will come he'll let you know it's time. Till then enjoy each others love and companionship. Been thru what your going thru when the kids were young we had a husky/mal that started having seisures at 6 months old. Hard to watch them deteriate as it gets worse.
Thoughts & prayers out to you both.

PS Awesome bike BB, brings back memories of my first steet bike a Honda CB 750.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Worrying and preparing for the inevitable   Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:06 am

This is a gut wrenching topic. I feel for you, BB. I have 2 dogs that my wife and I love like crazy. They are very much a part of our family, a part of our lives, and I can't imagine life w/o them. I pray your little guy gets better. God bless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Worrying and preparing for the inevitable
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: