HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How was your weather today?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 pm

Looks like snow is the forecast for the next several days. NOAA says that I might expect up to 14" total accumulation by Sunday night, plus windy conditions Sat night.

What a wonderful place to live. NOT!

Mad

No Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 pm

More rain. It's like there is a moat around the property. I am an island after all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Bee-utiful sunny day here with temps in the 50's. What snow fell over the past week is essentially gone. Think spring may finally be on it's way <crosses fingers>.

At the same time, I'm seeing reports of the Nor-Easter that has kicked the snot out of our brothers in the NE sector. Delaware to Maine seems to be under siege by this monster.

And reports from my old mate Ian in Blighty paints a dire picture. Much of the country has suffered record snow - up to 20" in some areas. And this from a country that seldom sees snow in any significant accumulation, apart from Scotland.

And since they largely don't have the infrastructure to deal with it (meaning snowploughs and the like) it creates chaos and the transport system essentially shuts down.

Ian said that 80 mph winds and blizzard conditions closed the main M62 motorway across the Pennines. Here's a c&p from his e-mail-

The main M62 motorway across the Pennines was closed both ways here overnight/early this morning with a lot of stranded vehicles, partly as a HGV had jack-knifed and a coach could not pass the accident.  Too many motorists ignore advice not to travel and do so inadequately prepared.  Not many even have winter tyres (I have a full set) and virtually no one here has chains.  The other thing is the general density of traffic, too many people on a small island trying to drive over the same roads at the same time.  One small blip and the whole system quickly backs-up and becomes grid-locked.  It is also the worst winter weather for many years so there will be a lot of new drivers who have never driven in snow.

Forgot to say the 3 or 4 inches here is not necessarily typical across the country.  The East coast around Lincolnshire, the North East coast and the central belt of Scotland (Glasgow to Edinburgh) as well as parts of the South West have been hit the worst and may have had a foot or more.  My friend about 15 miles over the hill said she had 6 inches of snow and spent 5 hours travelling to/from work yesterday when it should have taken about 2 hours.  This is by public transport (train) rather than driving and she had to get home by bus and taxi as there were no trains due to one breaking down and blocking the line, so we can't even keep the railways running.  All trains on the main line from Newcastle to Edinburgh were cancelled yesterday.

Somewhere in his e-mails Ian says that an estimated 3500 motorists were stranded and the army had to be called out! So it looks pretty dire for our brothers in Blighty.

Haven't heard from Stick yet, so hope he and his family is OK. Seems like his area was affected more than others!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Looks like the folks in the NE sector are about to get spanked once again on the heels of the Nor-Easter which devastated it yesterday. Another strong storm is headed their direction.

Stay safe all of you in harm's way!

Shocked

No Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Yah, those poor folks out there on the east coast and England are paying for it, yes. Family in Boston are really feeling it. But that's where the college they wanted to go to is. Brrr!

Best of luck to all the people out there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walkman

Registration date : 2017-09-23

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am

It was windy here in Denver today.  I had an old tree come down and damage my fence.  It could have been much worse.  Thankfully, it missed the house and a car that I had parked next to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Yup, I'm here, and have just brushed off the snow.

Unusual weather patterns here in the UK as you've pointed out chaps. 'The Beast from the East', as the media have termed it, has been the result of warm moist air from the south hitting extremely cold air from Siberia. The result; unusually cold weather (down to approx. minus 8 degs C) and another accumulation of snow. Luckily North Shropshire didn't get hit as hard as some other places in the UK; there are still some folks in the Lake District who are cut off. I heard on the BBC this morning that some of my old chums in the RAF are flying Chinooks in loaded with basic provisions to keep them going.

My hunch is that this was Custer's last stand. Winter has had its day and now we can get on with spring. Snow drops are poking through, daffs are spearing and I recon it won't be too long before I see my first primrose and get warmed to the core by our star. Mmm, that'll be a good time for another smoke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Good to hear you avoided the brunt of the beast sir! A good sign if the bulbs are spearing. Flowers by the Ides of March! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Stick wrote:
Yup, I'm here, and have just brushed off the snow.

Unusual weather patterns here in the UK as you've pointed out chaps.  'The Beast from the East', as the media have termed it, has been the result of warm moist air from the south hitting extremely cold air from Siberia.  The result; unusually cold weather (down to approx. minus 8 degs C) and another accumulation of snow.  Luckily North Shropshire didn't get hit as hard as some other places in the UK; there are still some folks in the Lake District who are cut off.  I heard on the BBC this morning that some of my old chums in the RAF are flying Chinooks in loaded with basic provisions to keep them going.

My hunch is that this was Custer's last stand.  Winter has had its day and now we can get on with spring.  Snow drops are poking through, daffs are spearing and I recon it won't be too long before I see my first primrose and get warmed to the core by our star.  Mmm, that'll be a good time for another smoke!

Champion to see you checking in here Squire, and chuffed to learn that your shire was not as affected. Yet as you say, some chaps are still hunkering down in the aftermath and hope it gets sorted on the double.

Stay safe me ol' mukker!

bom

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:05 am

Rained all day in NC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 am

Windy in the morning, Gale force wind the rest of the day. Snow flurries until sunset, now crystal clear starry night! The ground is already freezing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 am

First day of Spring has finally sprung. Gonna be sunny and close to 70 F today and likely over 70 F tomorrow. Then it’ll likely rain for the next three months. Kidding. The default locally referred to is cloudy and rain til July 5th. 4th of July fireworks shows are visible 50% of the time.

————————

Weather in Oregon? Here’s the deal...The North Western Oregon norm is moderate, temperate, fairly wet and green, green, green. Average rainfall is 35 in. For comparison the average in Seattle is 37 in. It’s not humid in the summer. There are few bugs to bug you. It doesn’t get too cold for too long in the winter. It snows a lot (between 2” and 6” is ‘a lot’) maybe once every three years. It doesn’t get too hot for too long in the Summer.

Too much rain,you say? Humph. I lived in Ketchikan, Alaska for eight years. The average rainfall in Ketchikan is over 150 inches...about four times that of Portland and Seattle. Now THAT’S rain!

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Beautiful Sunday here in the Pac NW. Sunny skies, temps in the 60's. Just about perfect.

And yet, the national weather says that the NE is about to get spanked with another Nor-Easter on the heels of the prior two!

Shocked

Stay safe all of you in this bulls-eye!

silent

No Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
oreodiane

Registration date : 2018-03-14

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 am

69 F here in west central Fl. Looks like rain, we have not had much since Irma.

Have a pleasant day, peaceful puffin.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Spring is in the air here in the Pac NW.

The Cherry Trees are blossoming, buds are on the trees and bushes, the overall weather has been much less threatening and somewhat benign (In like a lion, out like a lamb not necessarily applying this time).

Spring is renewal. Of life reappearing after a winter's doze. My favourite time of the year....

sunny

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Well Friday we were hit with a solid 9 inches of heavy wet snow. Trees down all over town. Power was out in places most of the day. We were only off grid for 2-3 hours. Temps of course have been mostly in the teens at night with a high today of a sultry 32F. This is spring in the high country! Enjoy the nice weather guys.

Oh and I'm downright jealous Rande. Cherry blossoms!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Well Friday we were hit with a solid 9 inches of heavy wet snow. Trees down all over town. Power was out in places most of the day. We were only off grid for 2-3 hours. Temps of course have been mostly in the teens at night with a high today of a sultry 32F. This is spring in the high country!  Enjoy the nice weather guys.

Oh and I'm downright jealous Rande. Cherry blossoms!

Jim

Jeez Jim, you can't catch a break out there in the high country! Between you and the poor folks in the NE getting slammed by yet a 4th Nor-Easter it's a real conundrum of weather conditions!

Hope your situation improves soon brother!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 am

On the one hand, compared to other areas to the north, the weather isn't bad, but still, SNOW in the Piedmont of NC in March? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 am

I just road tripped from IL to SC. It started snowing at the IL/IN state line and didn't stop til I hit South Carolina. No accumulation on the roads, but a bizarre first day of spring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 pm

52 and windy Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Just got back from a day in the mountains. A dry day with outbreaks of sun. Still cold with threads of snow in the gullies and the main icefalls are still intact (though I wouldn't trust them!). Still needed my gloves too, especially when operating my camera. Looked spring like though, just need the ambient temperature to rise by 10 degs C...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Interesting.

Awoke to about an inch or two of the white stuff. It was still coming down when I left for the brewery at around 07:30.

Fortunately it all melted (mostly) by the time I arrive home late morning.

We do seem to get these late winter/early spring disturbances and this year is no exception.

And yes, I'm well aware of the unfortunate folks in the main storm areas in the NE, the midwest and such. As well as those in California. This is child's play in comparison!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:04 pm

The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside. It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty. Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Stick wrote:
The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside.  It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty.  Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.
cheers Excellent! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: How was your weather today?   Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Stick wrote:
The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside.  It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty.  Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.

Jolly nice bit of 'baccy there Squire, innit.....

sunny

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

How was your weather today?
Page 24 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next