HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
The retailer can charge what they want for products, they owe nothing to any one, it's just business to them, why sell a product for $24 when people will pay $45, I don't like it either but that's just the way business is.

On a side note, I just can't connect with the general feeling about these blends you guys across the pond feel are over priced, 8oz (well, 250g with our measurements) here in the UK costs us around $90. So to us this $45 area of pricing is dirt cheap, this notion of $24 for 8oz is pure fantasy for folk here, if only we could get tobacco for next to nothing. Neutral
We have two sayings over here that I think are very applicable here"
" A fool and his money are soon parted"  and regarding US vs UK pricing : "One mans ceiling is another mans floor " Onward thru The Fog cheers  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:16 pm

First off let me say this, "IT'S ALL PB's FAULT"!!!!!! Razz

Second, I have little to no problem with a seller on E-Bay getting $200 from any idiot who is willing to pay it in an OPEN AUCTION! I do have a problem with retailers jacking up prices to line their pockets! P&C is currently robbing people on the Esoterica & Balkan Sobranie. I have always dealt with P&C because of Russ. However, I think what they are doing currently is outrageous! So, I bought my Balkan Sobranie from smokingpipes.com and paid less than 1/3 of what P&C was charging. I'll buy from who ever deals fair and square.

This reminds me of when Cheaper than Dirt was charging $99.99 for aluminum AR-15 mags! Evil or Very Mad  They jacked their prices up right after Sandy Hook when there was fear of another "Brady Bill" hitting the Nation. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THOSE ASSCLOWNS EVER AGAIN!!! I have a very LONG memory, and I DO hold grudges!!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

balkan_boy

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
The retailer can charge what they want for products, they owe nothing to any one, it's just business to them, why sell a product for $24 when people will pay $45, I don't like it either but that's just the way business is.

On a side note, I just can't connect with the general feeling about these blends you guys across the pond feel are over priced, 8oz (well, 250g with our measurements) here in the UK costs us around $90. So to us this $45 area of pricing is dirt cheap, this notion of $24 for 8oz is pure fantasy for folk here, if only we could get tobacco for next to nothing. Neutral

Don't know about you, but I order all my tobacco from US. Smokingpipes, 4noggins, the usual sites. It takes about 2 weeks to get here, but it's still 3 times cheaper than buying it locally. When the package is under a kilogram, comes directly otherwise goes to the customs. $10 bribe in the customs officer's pocket, and you're all set.  Corruption can be quite useful sometimes. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:12 pm

If your tobaccos were being over priced you'd all be whining. It's funny when the shoe is on the other foot but, none of ya think about that. I couldn't give a hoot in hell about Esoterica tobaccos. Granted the great but, I have others I enjoy just as much.
I hear many of you complain but, I see you still do business with the same person
that want's to bend you over on another product. I just don't get you guys.
If they find they can raise the price to stupid on one tobacco,what makes you think they won't do it to another and then more? I have ethics, so I don't do business with those who don't, it's that simple period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Cart, WHO are you fussing at?  Lol

Dover, they didn't do this stuff when Scott ran the show... This nonsense started when cigars international bought the joint out. There's a reason their 'mascot' is that nasty goomba smiling face with a 3 day growth and a wife beater.  THEY started the nonsense with Opus X obscene pricing back then, is it really a shocker they are trying the same with pipe tobacco?

Last edited by puros_bran on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:25 pm

I had no idea they were owned by Cigars International.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Big 'merger' a couple years ago.. HQ switched out to CI's HQ in Bethlahem PA. There was a thread on it where guys said "hey it's a good thing"... Lol. Yup sure was. Lmao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/pipesandcigarscom-acquired-by-cigars-international/

There's one of the announcements.    It was the beginning of the end.. And damn did it happen fast.  That's where all the "buy three get one" and the "tobacco if the month" type bs came from too. Scott didn't do that nonsense either.. Prices were prices.. You'd get some discount t over three tons of the same blend, and a sample every now and then, but it WAS a straight up tobacco shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:53 pm

It's a shame, seems to be the way of the mom and pops nowadays. A few corporations own all of the major retailers... but hey, they give us cheap products, right? Rolling Eyes

I'm glad I'm not in the market for much anymore. I hardly ever walk into a store unless it's Tractor Supply.

ADDED: And I realize TR is a chain-store as well, but it's right down the road from me and is as much of a small town farm store as can be found nowadays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Cart, WHO are you fussing at?  Lol!

No one really and everyone that has the mind set that, if it doesn't effect me it don't matter.
Just my annual rant at the blind and self-centered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Cart, WHO are you fussing at?  Lol!

No one really and everyone that has the mind set that, if it doesn't effect me it don't matter.
Just my annual rant at the blind and self-centered.

Laughing

ADDED: I'm on your side, Ron. I ain't buying anything from P&C until April! Or any other retailer... broke I am... until April. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:04 pm

I may or may not have ordered from them some years ago, but I don't think so... I've been boycotting them since 1999.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 pm

...When I started this thread, my main goal was to get a sense of how others felt about "price gouging" for these tobaccos by the two retailers mentioned, and perhaps to get a sense of everyone's perception of the fairness and equity aspect...

Like many of you have stated, I too do not buy from anyone who charges more than what I feel is reasonable...no matter how much I may like or want the product. However, I do tend to "favor" those retailers that are consistent in pricing and conduct themselves with a true sense of fairness...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Peter, I will tell you who I have shopped with.....
Excluding local B&M's scattered across the country.
Knoxcigar (back when there was a Knox cigar)
Smokingpipes.com
Marscigars.com
Cupojoes.com

Those 4 have got 99.9% of my business specifically for the reason you mentioned... Back then the first hosted the forum I was on and the other three seemed like good people... Since my interlude in smoking Rich @4noggins has been pretty upstanding with the folk here.. Him and Mike @mars would get my money now a days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:09 am

Mike Rutt at Mars Cigars is a swell guy, and I'll never get tired of telling people that.  
Noggins' staff is cool.
JRCigars is cool, but they have sometimes random/limited stock of pipe tabacs.

My local Tinder Box just sent out a letter about price increases of their tobacco.   Their prices hadn't raised in five years, though the cost has been creeping since then.   I think prices went up 5% at most, but they're 30% pricier than online.   Online places I can't go sit and smoke for hours, watch baseball, help myself to stuff in the back fridge, and do so with friends.

It all works out.  Do business with who treats you right.    The other stuff behind-the-scenes (mergers, new distributors, hurricanes supposedly wiping out the best crops) you can't do much about, sometimes.  

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:29 am

I can name one retailer that isn't gouging or shafting his customers. That's Mike at Mars Cigars. I just bought an 8 oz bag of Stonehaven, Penzance, and Margate for $22.95 per bag. I ordered just as soon as I got his news letter that stated it was in stock. Some retailers still care about their customers and treat them honestly and fairly. He's got the best prices for McClelland Tobacco on the Web and he's lowering prices on several more brands. His flat shipping rate of $6.95 seems very fair too. You can believe that Mike is getting almost all of my tobacco business.  Smile

AJ
Copied and pasted invoice from Mike.

Hello AJ Nash,

This email has been sent to inform you that your payment, #31897, has been updated. Keep this email for your personal records.
Order Details
Order Number: 31897
Order Date: 11/28/2014 12:12 AM
Shipping Method: Flat Rate Shipping
Payment Method: Credit card payment
Product/Service Information
Product Name Part No. Quantity Item Price Total Price
Esoterica- Margate
Quantity: 8 ounce factory unit
1 $22.95 $22.95
Esoterica- Penzance
1 $22.95 $22.95
Esoterica- Stonehaven
1 $22.95 $22.95
Subtotal: $68.85
Shipping & Handling: $6.95
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $75.80
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:19 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Mike Rutt at Mars Cigars is a swell guy, and I'll never get tired of telling people that.  
Noggins' staff is cool.
JRCigars is cool, but they have sometimes random/limited stock of pipe tabacs.

My local Tinder Box just sent out a letter about price increases of their tobacco.   Their prices hadn't raised in five years, though the cost has been creeping since then.   I think prices went up 5% at most, but they're 30% pricier than online.   Online places I can't go sit and smoke for hours, watch baseball, help myself to stuff in the back fridge, and do so with friends.

It all works out.  Do business with who treats you right.    The other stuff behind-the-scenes (mergers, new distributors, hurricanes supposedly wiping out the best crops) you can't do much about, sometimes.  

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:02 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Peter, I will tell you who I have shopped with.....
Excluding local B&M's scattered across the country.
Knoxcigar (back when there was a Knox cigar)
Smokingpipes.com
Marscigars.com
Cupojoes.com

Those 4 have got 99.9% of my business specifically for the reason you mentioned... Back then the first hosted the forum I was on and the other three seemed like good people... Since my interlude in smoking Rich @4noggins has been pretty upstanding with the folk here.. Him and Mike @mars would get my money now a days.

PB...you're pretty much like me...smokingpipes.com and Marscigars.com most often get my business...in fact, I just sent Mike an order for Esoterica Brighton, Ramsgate and Woodbridge all at $22.99 per 8 oz. bag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:46 pm

4Nogs has always been great with me, but they totally blew it this week. They called the day the order was supposed to arrive at my place to "verify the address". Instead of having my sister bring it down here when she visits, I'm going to have to spring for international shipping that either will or will not get here thanks to customs. Evil or Very Mad

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:28 am

puros_bran wrote:
I may or may not have ordered from them some years ago, but I don't think so... I've been boycotting them since 1999.

I'd like to see a list of places you aren't boycotting these days, Peebs...I'm guessing it's a bit shorter than the list of the ones you are?

*backs away slowly*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 am

idbowman wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

I'd like to see a list of places you aren't boycotting these days, Peebs...I'm guessing it's a bit shorter than the list of the ones you are?

*backs away slowly*

......and had I scrolled down a click or two more I'd have seen that's done and done.

*slinks away in shame*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:56 am

I've been watching and reading this thread as it has progressed and I don't see the reason for it! We live in a society of retail competition. If one can want's to buy something, they look to find it at a price THEY CAN AFFORD and if it's available, they purchase it where they can get it at the price they can pay !! We have a long history of items being sold at exorbitant prices but that's just Capitolism!! We've become a nation of whiners when we can't get things OUR way, and if one doesn't think so. just listen to talk radio which THRIVES on WHINING !! I would like to have a Mercedes but can only afford a used Kia. Such is life Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Onward Thru the Fog Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm a whore.. most orders I make I will fill the baskets with the same products at 4noggins, smoking pipes, cupofjoes, mars, p&c. if they all are within $10 or so of each other I go with 4noggins. but, getting much over that I go with the best buy. the savings amounts to another tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
I'm a whore.. most orders I make I will fill the baskets with the same products at 4noggins, smoking pipes, cupofjoes, mars, p&c.  if they all are within $10 or so of each other I go with 4noggins.  but, getting much over that I go with the best buy.  the savings amounts to another tin.

I do similarly, and not just with tobacco, but with anything I'm in the market for.

Richard Burley wrote:
Why should anyone sell X commodity for less than they can get for it?  I don't get it.  The Esoterica blends are underpriced.

Amen.

idbowman wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
To be fair, we don't know what the distributor is charging them for it.

Yep yep yep.  Esoterica is a brand known for it's high demand and similarly high prices. ...

Anyone expecting any tobacco product (let alone a brand with Esoterica's reputation, demand, and cult following) to be some sort of a loss-leader is fooling themselves.

Amen (Emphasis mine)

MisterE wrote:
I think the market will even itself out. If not now, eventually. For the moment, Esoterica and Balkan Sobranie are hot items people feel pressured to get. It will hit a ceiling and come back down. Maybe not in time for Christmas, though. Wink

Some of you will remember the FVF balloon about five years ago. There was the same Ebay gouging going on. However, FVF is again available and reasonably priced. Nobody "did" anything.

I think that's the nature of free market. Prices will always reflect what the market will bear. Don't think it's worth it? Don't buy it. Pretty soon many will come to the same conclusion and the spike will come back down. The dissent is already happening. This thread proves that.

Great points, although I think I read that S Gawith increased FVF production (they 'did something'). I don't understand why Germain's doesn't do the same or charge more to the distributor. That's the real surprise, given the demand of these products.

You also have to think about monopolies. if P&C were the only place anyone could buy tobacco, they still could only charge as much as people are willing to pay. I bet a lot of us would quit pipe smoking if 1Q cost $1k/oz. But if they dropped prices, more people could afford to smoke, and the slimmer margins would be made up for by increased sales volume. Even with monopolies there is a point of equilibrium, and we're not even talking about a monopoly here.

DoverPipes wrote:
First off let me say this, "IT'S ALL PB's FAULT"!!!!!! Razz

Second, I have little to no problem with a seller on E-Bay getting $200 from any idiot who is willing to pay it in an OPEN AUCTION! I do have a problem with retailers jacking up prices to line their pockets! P&C is currently robbing people on the Esoterica & Balkan Sobranie. I have always dealt with P&C because of Russ. However, I think what they are doing currently is outrageous! So, I bought my Balkan Sobranie from smokingpipes.com and paid less than 1/3 of what P&C was charging. I'll buy from who ever deals fair and square.

I don't understand the differences between retailers lining their pockets and individuals lining their pockets via high prices, and I have a problem with neither. I think it's laughable to say they're robbing people. No one from P&C is forcing anyone to buy those products. Robbery involves taking something without someone's consent. Everyone who pays P&C or eBay prices is giving their consent, i.e. willfully handing over their money. If anyone is coming close to committing robbery, it's the government's sin taxes on tobacco, which we can't get around. Every shop is forced to charge those prices. If I'm not mistaken, this is why tobacco costs so much in Europe, and not here. But they're coming for us, too. Since 2009, RYO cig tobacco has been taxed at $24/lb, while pipe tobacco is $3 or something. There is stuff in the works to even out that disparity.

Why aren't people demanding that Rad Davis charge 'fair' prices' for his pipes. I mean, $800 for something just 'cause it has some over-hyped, flawless, smooth, straight grain?! That's price gouging! I can get a corn cob that smokes just fine for $3! Or what about Dunhil pipes vs. Peterson's? Why is one so much more expensive? Is it perhaps that people are paying for the name, the tradition, at least to some extent? The truth is, value is in the eye of the consumer, and to charge less than consumers are willing to pay is ridiculous, and leads to shortages.

puros_bran wrote:
Big 'merger' a couple years ago.. HQ switched out to CI's HQ in Bethlahem PA.    There was a thread on it where guys said "hey it's a good thing"... Lol.   Yup sure was.  Lmao

They did drop the prices on PS Luxury Flakes at that point. I remember right after the website switch I got to the old website from a bookmark, and the prices on those blends were higher before, but are now in line with other PS blends. Some good things, some bad it seems. (Newminster prices were lower before).

monbla256 wrote:
I've been watching and reading this thread as it has progressed and I don't see the reason for it! We live in a society of retail competition. If one can want's to buy something, they look to find it at a price THEY CAN AFFORD and if it's available, they purchase it where they can get it at the price they can pay !! We have a long history of items being sold at exorbitant prices but that's just Capitolism!! We've become a nation of whiners when we can't get things OUR way, and if one doesn't think so. just listen to talk radio which THRIVES on WHINING !! I would like to have a Mercedes but can only afford a used Kia. Such is life Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Onward Thru the Fog Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Amen. I don't see why it's immoral to charge these prices for one blend of tobacco that's in high demand. Why don't people apply this to cars or houses or anything else, and demand the prices they want and accuse the seller of being a thief?

Here is the simple point: Everyone is out of stock of Penzance, Stonehaven, and probably every other Esoterica blend. That's because the demand is high (either because tobaccos are better or because of hype; it doesn't really matter). If P&C were really charging too much, they'd have shelves full of the stuff that they couldn't move, and the market would demand they lower their prices. But people want it, even at $130/ 8 oz bag (eBay). eBay and P&C actually serve a purpose. Those who can't be online constantly get a chance to try Esoteric tobaccos if they're willing to pay the premium for not sitting all day withing for the email to get their one shot at the limited stock. If not for those venues, the rich guys with little free time would be out of luck. But nobody cares about them. People just care about how the prices affect them, and not the fact that higher prices would give more people pause to consider whether to buy them, leaving them on the shelves longer, and giving the guys with less time and more money a chance to get in on the action.

It's actually really remarkable how standardized pipe tobacco prices are. Compare them to cigars. The average price of a tin of tobacco is pretty consistent ($6 to $15 or so), whereas you can buy cigars for $1/stick or $30+/stick. Do people on cigar fora complain about the prices of Davidoffs? I just want to know why Esoterica/Germain are charging so little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
bentbulldog

bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...   Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:50 pm

And this is why I chose to find good enough replacements for these Blends...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next