HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Pipe Makers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:41 am

When did pipe makers quit being called pipe makers or carvers and begin getting called 'Artisinal Pipe Crafsmen and/or women of the Smoking Variety including Briar, Esotic Woods from the end of the world and meershaum'

It reminds me of the time the Commodities Relocation Agency (trucking company) told the Logistical Engineers (truck drivers) that calling the Sanitary Engineer (cleaning lady) an 'old bag' was Insensitive  and would no longer be tolerated by the Human Resources Department ( the secretary)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

avatar

Age : 38
Location : Texas
Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am

Hipsters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm

puros_bran wrote:
When did pipe makers quit being called pipe makers or carvers and begin getting called 'Artisinal Pipe Crafsmen and/or women of the Smoking Variety including Briar, Esotic Woods from the end of the world and meershaum'

It reminds me of the time the Commodities Relocation Agency (trucking company) told the Logistical Engineers (truck drivers) that calling the Sanitary Engineer (cleaning lady) an 'old bag' was Insensitive  and would no longer be tolerated by the Human Resources Department ( the secretary)

I think it was because Pipe Carvers wanted to be separated from Manufactures being most do much better work and that some manufactures are doing poorer work nowadays.
As to when, I haven't a good clue. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Well werent the 'carvers' already separated from the 'manufactures' by being called carvers instead of manufactures?

And where is the line drawn?  Is Mark Tinsky an artisanal pipe manufacturing carver? What about Nanna Ivarsson, is she a manufacturing carver artisan?  Oh what about Castello, Castello pipes are awesome.. Are they artisanal?         Yes I'm being a butt head... But for a reason.  I think beardedbassguy might be right, a bunch of damn 'I was unbathed before unbathed was cool' Hipsters invaded the hobby, no offense intended to Cool hipsters that may or may not be here on the Internet Brain Trust.

If we are renaming everything I'm calling forums 'Internet Brain Trust' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Missouri
Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 pm

I think it mostly comes down to marketing, form the maker's point of view anyway. "Artisan pipe maker" sure sounds a lot better than plain ol' "pipe maker" to that hipster crowd. It's just another way to move some pipes. You can pretty much give anyone who isn't a factory the Artisan title and it works.



I don't care what you call me.....just buy my pipes lol!

And I honestly just prefer to be known as a pipe maker. I'll leave all the marketing crap to other people. It has worked for me so far, so why change now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:49 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Well werent the 'carvers' already separated from the 'manufactures' by being called carvers instead of manufactures?

And where is the line drawn?  Is Mark Tinsky an artisanal pipe manufacturing carver? What about Nanna Ivarsson, is she a manufacturing carver artisan?  Oh what about Castello, Castello pipes are awesome.. Are they artisanal?         Yes I'm being a butt head... But for a reason.  I think beardedbassguy might be right, a bunch of damn 'I was unbathed before unbathed was cool' Hipsters invaded the hobby.. Lol

But if we are renaming everything can we call forums 'Internet Brain Trust' ? Very Happy

Well you could very well be right but, does it really matter what there called?
I personally feel that it doesn't matter what there called as long as I know the difference
between them. The English language has gone through many changes since you or I were children and sometimes it's hard to keep up with these changes. Thankfully the names there called are still English and can be understood by most. Wink
I remember a time when Dude meant you where a overly dressed for the occasion, city slicker, novice, to put it nicely. And starting in the seventies it was overly used (and still is by some die hard's) to mean a guy/man which irritated me to no end. I remember correcting many when they called me, Hey Dude!" stating there were NO Dudes here! Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:13 pm

scotties22 wrote:
I think it mostly comes down to marketing, form the maker's point of view anyway.  "Artisan pipe maker" sure sounds a lot better than plain ol' "pipe maker" to that hipster crowd.  It's just another way to move some pipes.  You can pretty much give anyone who isn't a factory the Artisan title and it works.  



I don't care what you call me.....just buy my pipes lol!

And I honestly just prefer to be known as a pipe maker.  I'll leave all the marketing crap to other people.  It has worked for me so far, so why change now.

Scottie hit the proverbial nail on the head! It's the same with tobacco blend/mixtures. Tobacco firms and B&Ms used to BLEND mixtures now they all CREATE blends!! Coincidentaly, when the verbage changed and went "uptown" so have prices !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Seems the feeling is, the description has changed so the prices should also Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:20 pm

I need to call WorkComp.. I am no longer on 'the draw' I am on 'Graphic Design' send me more money please. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Missouri
Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:40 pm

PB, can we get "Nightrider" changed to "Semantical Wizard"? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:16 pm

"Human resources" always gives me the creeps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:53 pm

puros_bran wrote:
When did pipe makers quit being called pipe makers or carvers and begin getting called 'Artisinal Pipe Crafsmen and/or women of the Smoking Variety including Briar, Esotic Woods from the end of the world and meershaum'

My guess is it was right around the time Dominos started selling Artisanal Pizza
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
When did pipe makers quit being called pipe makers or carvers and begin getting called 'Artisinal Pipe Crafsmen and/or women of the Smoking Variety including Briar, Esotic Woods from the end of the world and meershaum'

My guess is it was right around the time Dominos started selling Artisanal Pizza

You might have something there Dave!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Dominoes sells pizza... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:16 pm

scotties22 wrote:
PB, can we get "Nightrider" changed to "Semantical Wizard"? Twisted Evil

Actually J Huggie gave me that title after I posted a poem on here.. He made me a little graphic and the whole nine yard. We hadn't been a forum longer than 5-6 months tops at that point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:14 pm

People used to think titles meant something. Then it was figured out if you give the people titles and no increased pay, that was acceptable compensation. Then a lot of folks decided the title was integral to their personal sense of self-security and ego, and even if the pay stays the same, the increased responsibilities is an honor. Then they expect the title. They might have a small, personal revolution, wise up just enough to get lazy in protest. Then they expected ANY title. When appropriate titles ran out, some sh*t got made up to combat the lack of productivity. Now most people expect meaningless grandeur, and "...all I got to show for it is this stupid title." They soon acquire a weird, self-deprocating taste for it, and not far later, ask for it by (Brand ®) name.

This is what happens when accounting and marketing departments are asked to manage folks. It works.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Titles are important. Shoveling shit doesn't sound nearly as impressive as Equine Nutritional Byproduct Distribution,
especially when trying to impress that 20 something barmaid, although I'm thinking your professional odor might give it away. lol!

Artisan, carver, craftsman, pit chaser, briar grinder, hackmaster,,,Whatever works as long as your product doesn't gurgle or burn out.

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:49 pm

mark wrote:
Whatever works as long as your product doesn't gurgle or burn out.  

The mission statement of every charm school and escort service out there. Very Happy

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
mark wrote:
Whatever works as long as your product doesn't gurgle or burn out.  

The mission statement of every charm school and escort service out there.   Very Happy

Cool





Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Feazelle-n-it

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Roanoke, VA
Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 pm

It's all about money. They feel they can charge more because of the different name. Some will fall for it, and when the weak minded lemmings run out of money the new name will die off with the trend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 pm

I cracked my dictionary to the word "artisan" and it sez, I quote, "a person manually skilled at making a certain product, a craftsman." So I'm not seeing a denotative problem in the phrase "artisan pipe," at least not one that's comparable to the "secretary -- "executive assistant" sort of patronising inflation, which is simply a connotative attempt to appear tall by walking about on tiptoe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Anthracite Coal Fields of PA
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:20 am

Blame it all on the Hipsters! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
People used to think titles meant something.   Then it was figured out if you give the people titles and no increased pay, that was acceptable compensation.   Then a lot of folks decided the title was integral to their personal sense of self-security and ego, and even if the pay stays the same, the increased responsibilities is an honor.   Then they expect the title.   They might have a small, personal revolution, wise up just enough to get lazy in protest.  Then they expected ANY title.   When appropriate titles ran out, some sh*t got made up to combat the lack of productivity.   Now most people expect meaningless grandeur, and "...all I got to show for it is this stupid title."    They soon acquire a weird, self-deprocating taste for it, and not far later, ask for it by (Brand ®) name.  

This is what happens when accounting and marketing departments are asked to manage folks.   It works.  

Cool  

DITTO! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm glad someone understood what the hell he was rambling about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I'm glad someone understood what the hell he was rambling about.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Makers   Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:42 am

Me too. Shocked

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Pipe Makers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Hose Pipe Bans
» Guide to British-made Aluminum Mess Tins (1936-1940)
» Canadian Webbing Makers of the Great War
» Vladislav Inozemtsev: Putin Is Waking Up From Chinese Pipe Dream
» Question about Canadian WWII Mess Tins...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: