HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Someone broke into my house tonight.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:40 pm

If she was a victim of violence, her attacker couldda been right behind her.
Shouldda armed yerself.  Just in case.  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:43 pm

5) Every situation is different. Someone busting in armed or threatening harm is one thing, finding some schmuck in the kitchen making himself a ham sandwich is another. Both are guilty of breaking and entering but are you going to shoot the intruding deli bandit after determining there's no threat? I would hope not.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 pm

The ham sandwich felt he was being threatened so he did the only thing a good ham sandwich could do.....stick to the roof of your mouth with a vengence .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:52 pm

mark wrote:
5)  Every situation is different. Someone busting in armed or threatening harm is one thing,  finding some schmuck in the kitchen making himself a ham sandwich is another. Both are guilty of breaking and entering but are you going to shoot the intruding deli bandit after determining there's no threat? I would hope not.

McDonald's drive thru, right up the road and open 24 hours a day. When I lock my doors the kitchen is closed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Probably not. Just like you don't shoot Uncle John because he walked over the hill while you were deer hunting. You should always look and asses the situation before you shoot. But, I think you should have the right to shoot if you need to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 pm

+1 to Scotties post.

Being 100% serious...   Concerning 'shoot first ask questions later'.  Draw no fire drills are an absolute necessary but seldom seen procedure when training for self-defense.  
I have a friend that can draw from concealment and hit 3 different targets with a double tap in under three seconds, which is a lot harder than it looks on tv.  That's a neat trick but not useful for self defense in 99.99% of any justifiable application. Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:06 pm

scotties22 wrote:
Probably not.  Just like you don't shoot Uncle John because he walked over the hill while you were deer hunting.  You should always look and asses the situation before you shoot.  But, I think you should have the right to shoot if you need to.

Dammit.

The last thing we need around here is some damn woman comin' in here clarifying things and talkin' sense. Why, evverbody knows they don't know nuthin 'bout nothin.

Talk about cognitive dissonance.

This BoB place makes my head hurt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:10 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..

And a presumed GIVEN when discussing the subject.

If you are properly trained in defensive firearms usage (meaning application, not just marksmanship) you already know that.

If you don't know that, you shouldn't be messin' with guns in the first place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:24 pm

monbla256 wrote:

He's just mouthing the "real Amurican Way" that so many folks espouse over here and we are paying the price society wise all around. Onward thru The Fog !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You are either 1) wholly disingenuous and knowingly pushing some agenda, 2) incapable of escaping a brainwashed / trance state of some sort, or 3) distinguishing between "greater than" and "less than" exceeds your horsepower rating.

If given the choice between two rental vehicles to cross the Sahara Desert solo, do you choose the one with a 50% chance of breaking down, or a 2% chance of breaking down?

If you answered "50%" there's no point in discussing self defense further because facts have no place in your delusional / fanciful / subjective worldview.

If you answered "2%" there's no point, either, because, well... it's obvious.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 pm

LL wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

If you are properly trained in defensive firearms usage (meaning application, not just marksmanship) you already know that.

You'd be surprised...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:52 pm

puros_bran wrote:
LL wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

You'd be surprised...

By the way, the "you" I was referring to was the collective one.  As in, anybody who might come across the post---the "audience".  NOT you the PeeB.  You're one of the most firearms-savvy people on the board.

My apologies for not making that clear in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Lol.   I knew what you meant.   I think we all use you in refrence to a general audience  now even though it's extremely improper english.

What I meant was the stupidity television has handed down as 'sound tactics' to the untrained is ridiculously scary... And some of the blithering idiots think watching 3 war movies and buying a set of utilities qualifies them as special forces.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm

PD, what an evening! I'm so glad that no one got hurt and that you were able to help that woman in whatever situation she was in. I assume that the knife she had on her was for self defense, but maybe that's the optimist in me.

Considering that there was a break-in at my new home before I moved in (previous owner added some movement activated flood lights out back after the fact to increase deterrence as well as a few other security measures), I've been thinking more and more about personal home defense methods that are non-lethal if they need to be used and found some really cool stuff.

Strictly for home defense from an intruder, I think Taser is now offering some great solutions that operate and look like guns.

Check this out: http://www.taser.com/products/self-defense-products/taser-x2-defender

To me, this seems like a really effective device that you can use to warn someone then escalate if need be without using deadly force. I don't know about price comparison to consumer fire arms, but I like it. They've got cheaper options, but this one is my favorite because it allows you to warn an intruder and fire immediately if they are undeterred. If you tend to be the "shoot first" type, with this you could do that without killing anyone. Plus, it's got more than one shot and you can repeatedly paralyze them if need be once the hooks are in.

I don't doubt that some will think a device like this is insufficient. I just thought I'd share in case anyone else was curious about non-lethal options.

No affiliation or anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Lol.   I knew what you meant.   I think we all use you in refrence to a general audience  now even though it's extremely improper english.

What I meant was the stupidity television has handed down as 'sound tactics' to the untrained is ridiculously scary... And some of the blithering idiots think watching 3 war movies and buying a set of utilities qualifies them as special forces.

Wait, you mean watching all those Costa and Yeager videos on YouTube and buying some digital camo doesn't make a a high speed operator? So much time and money wasted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:01 pm

That Taser is a great product. But, I can buy quite a few guns for the cost. Heath and I have taken a look at it before when I was seriously considering carrying concealed. The cost played into our decision to not buy one. I still haven't found a handgun to carry and still need to get my license....another topic for another day.

I still think the worst sound in the world for an intruder is the sound of my 870 being racked. And when I bought it 8 years ago I think it cost about $270 new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Kudos to your not over-reacting PD, it could have ended horribly. I'm also impressed at your being that coherent in the middle of the night. Even if she did use the knife (or other tool) to break in, I don't believe that that merits being blown away. Also, being bare foot in a dress, not the usual bugler apparel.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 am

Thankfully the incident has been resolved without any bloodshed, and your family is safe. I also use a block at the bottom of the sliding door for locking. Scary situation to say the least. What a thread to be reading first thing in the morning, it's an eye opener. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarFox

Registration date : 2013-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 pm

docwatson wrote:
Thankfully the incident has been resolved without any bloodshed, and your family is safe. I also use a block at the bottom of the sliding door for locking. Scary situation to say the least. What a thread to be reading first thing in the morning, it's an eye opener. Shocked

I was going to mention this. Sliding glass doors are the worst for security. I would secure that door better, a wooden dowel in the bottom would be more effective that the lock which you found out. My wife would like to have a Sliding Glass door where our French doors are now. It won't happen the French doors have a dead bolt and if someone wants to break the glass then they can do that or any window as well. Fortunately we really don't have to worry about crime where I live. I have motion lights, etc., but I have often thought of a security system of some sort. Having a security system can help lower insurance and some organizations offer breaks in price of security system subscriptions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Wow, glad things turned out well for you PD. I hope the lady is ok.

Our sliders have an additional lock installed. I thought it was the intelegent thing to due.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:20 am

The most recognized sound in the world is the sound of someone chambering a round in a pump shotgun. If someone breaks into my house and doesn't immediately leave when I chamber a round in my Winchester 1500 then they are getting shot. My families safety is too important to me to take chances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:08 am

Glad everything turned out in a positive way for you Puff. It would be nice to know exactly what type of treatment the woman received.

Anytime a female or minor is involved in a crime, there is always the possibility that the real threat was lurking somewhere close by.

My guess is that somewhere along the way, drugs played a part in her finding your sliding glass door.

Those sliding glass doors are murder on the electric bill too, but you probably already know that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:18 am

We got the door fixed - Aluminum rod.

The girl was turned over to the hospital as a medical needs incident, the police felt she wasn't intending criminal breaking and entering but was in a confused mental state. She was visited by the PD's shift supervisor in the hospital that night and interviewed, and if there was anything bad that had happened to her that would prompt further police action, she didn't tell them about it. They dropped it and I had no right to invade her privacy further, so it all ends there. Hopefully it was just a matter of a young lady having had too much Christmas cheer and wandering into a place she thought was someplace else. Hopefully, a mostly harmless lesson learned for both of us.

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:54 am

I just read this article and thought it was very interesting in light of all that has been discussed in this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Someone broke into my house tonight.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Simple Man wrote:
I just read this article and thought it was very interesting in light of all that has been discussed in this thread.

Very relevant. Every gun owner should read Ayoob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Someone broke into my house tonight.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next