HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Personally, I'm not sure why  I chose pipe smoking for a hobby. I have never been a smoker or tobacco user before this. Sure I tried cigarettes as a kid, as well as chew, but other than the very occasional cigar with friends (nothing fancy), never really found tobacco to be that enjoyable.  But pipe smoking seems to be a whole different animal all together.  I am truly enjoying the heck out of it so far. I have always enjoyed the smell of pipe tobacco and as a child their were a few older men in my life who smoked pipes. One of them was my best friend (at the times) dad, and the other was a neighbor/friend of the family who was like a grandfather to me.  Perhaps this has something to do with it (shrug). I do know that the idea of smoking a pipe has been rattling around in my head for a couple of years now and when ever I mentioned it to my wife she was amicable to the idea. So, couple of months ago I started researching pipe smoking (primarily health effects), and came to the conclusion that while it does pose some hazards to my health, so does beer, braunschweiger, and BBQ.  And like those three delectable edibles (and pretty much everything else in life), moderation is the key.  Furthermore, I have it on good authority that if I completely avoid everything that is bad for me I will still wind up just as dead as everyone else.
So, I smoke a pipe and it truly makes me happy which in turn makes my family happy. Don't know if its the whole ritual of choosing the tobacco, loading the pipe, lighting it, then sipping slowly and enjoying the taste or what, but I find myself smiling more with pipe in hand or firmly clamped between my teeth.
      Anyway, so what about you fine people? Why do you smoke a pipe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 am

Relaxation. I started as a replacement to cigarettes. But as I've gotten more into it I find it more relaxing and I get "addicted" to the process more than anything.

It's kind of a quest to find "the one" pipe/tobacco. I enjoy the journey and experimentation. There are so many pipes and tobaccos that you could spend a lifetime and never have the same combo if you wish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:47 am

The combination of meditation, taste, aroma, and nicotine hit is hard to beat. Maybe sex and a jolt of bourbon? Dunno.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 am

Richard Burley wrote:
The combination of meditation, taste, aroma, and nicotine hit is hard to beat.  Maybe sex and a jolt of bourbon?  Dunno.

Doesn't get any more real than that. Seconded. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 am

Because there are far less enjoyable ways of killing yourself. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:51 am

I like Tobacco !! It's taste, aroma, effects on the body etc. And I like all the pretty pipes I have as well Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil No great philisophical stuff, I just like tobacco !! cheers cheers Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:53 am

monbla256 wrote:
I like Tobacco !! It's taste, aroma, effects on the body etc. And I like all the pretty pipes I have as well  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  No great philisophical stuff, I just like tobacco !! cheers cheers Twisted Evil

^This! All of this. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:45 am

Cause it's better then smok'en a pack of Lucky Strikes that's been sitt'en on the dashboard for a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:58 am

I love the smell of the burning tobacco and the taste of certain blends, especially those select favorites, that hit all the right notes, for me. It is an enjoyable activity and I also get to know lots of good people through the hobby.

I also hesitated because of the health effects, but right now, I'm enjoying it. I probably have a pipe, on average, every other day... it's a very soothing practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)   Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Growing up near/in Winston-Salem, NC (home of The R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company!!), I grew to love the aroma of 'baccy being processed. My family had a tobacco allotment. I've helped plant it, baby it, prime it, string it, hang it, and cure it (both air and fire). I absolutely loved going to "market." What a hoot seeing all the action, activity, hearing the auctioneer/s bark out buy/sell prices, watching the buyers evaluate the tobacco bales; not to mention the smoke!!! Cigs, cigars, and pipes galore!!! Plus one hell of a lot of "spittin'" going on!! However, except for a little experimentation; I never smoked cigs, nor anything else until my freshman year in college. Lots of guys smoking pipes; plus guys and gals smoking cigs (even in class!!). I just enjoyed the aroma of pipe tobacco...so took up the hobby!! Still have my first two pipes (one still smokeable!!). First tobacco was Middleton's Cherry Blend (yuch!!). That was fifty years ago last September; still at it!!!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

why smoke a pipe? (!!!Welsh blood ingaged. WoT imminent)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1