HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. Empty
PostSubject: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Man what a scare. I was getting ready to jar my 1999 8oz of penzance when I noticed white streaks and spots on and in most of the tobacco. With a big thud in my stomach I thought it was mold. Being a cigar smoker and having a microbiology degree I remembered about Bloom on cigars and pulled out my 20x Jewelers loupe and examined the tobacco. In an instant the sicking feeling turned to joy as I examined the sugar crystals throughout the tobacco. It seems this 15 year old baccy aged quite well. I compared pics online with my findings to confirm it was actually bloom and not mold spores. As Golem would say. My precious is saved.

I am so happy now. Only problems is it is in broken flake now instead of full flakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:05 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
Man what a scare. I was getting ready to jar my 1999 8oz of penzance when I noticed white streaks and spots on and in most of the tobacco. With a big thud in my stomach I thought it was mold. Being a cigar smoker and having a microbiology degree I remembered about Bloom on cigars and pulled out my 20x Jewelers loupe and examined the tobacco. In an instant the sicking feeling turned to joy as I examined the sugar crystals throughout the tobacco. It seems this 15 year old baccy aged quite well. I compared pics online with my findings to confirm it was actually bloom and not mold spores. As Golem would say. My precious is saved.

I am so happy now. Only problems is it is in broken flake now instead of full flakes.

Glad for ya but what's the problem? Flakes should be rubbed out to smoke anyway !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

Glad for ya but what's the problem? Flakes shouls be rubbed out to smoke anyway !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

we all know you just like rubbing it out. Some of us just like to stuff it in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Just No.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Gees! I'm glad we're talk'en about tobacco. 5)

And just for the record, I have it on my Stonehaven and no matter
what it is, it's getting smoked cause the stuff's to dadburn hard to get a hold of.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

Glad for ya but what's the problem? Flakes shouls be rubbed out to smoke anyway !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

we all know you just like rubbing it out. Some of us just like to stuff it in.

I forgot. You are speaking about penzance and I was refering to GOOD flakes !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 pm

lol! lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:21 pm

lol. I enjoy flakes with Latakia in it and hope I still enjoy Penzance as it has been 6 years or so since I had any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 pm

This might be the best thread since I've been back. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:28 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
lol. I enjoy flakes with Latakia in it and hope I still enjoy Penzance as it has been 6 years or so since I had any.

I thought you were married ? cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:

Some of us just like to stuff it in.

What!!! No foreplay???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:33 pm

monbla256 wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

I thought you were married ? cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Lol Yes I am married. I gave up Pipe and cigar smoking without her asking back in 2010 because she was asthmatic. On our wedding day she bought me some cigars and I have enjoyed tobacco since 2012 and this year I am getting back into pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:26 am

Well, it might be sugar crystals, and it might be salt. Gawith flakes are well known for sparkling in the light when they have age on them. I wondered about that. So I licked a flake to see if I could taste the sugar. Nope, salt. Tasted salt.

I wonder if it is in the leaf. Or if it is a saline solution sprayed on the leaf to hydrate it during processing. That maybe the salt retards mold growth.

But it's just a theory I have. No evidence to be sure. Tobacco blending is such a secret process you know.

The mold I have seen on tobacco is not some little thing. It's a wild thing that grows immensely. And it does not sparkle in the light.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 am

Carlos, have you been hiding bacon from the Mrs in your baccy can again?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Carlos wrote:
...So I licked a flake...
You read just about anything in these forums...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Maybe so but I never figured Carlos for a flakeilinguist, imagine my surprise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Does licking flake give the same results as licking toads and frogs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm

A six year wait, then licking and stuffing; this is quite the thread. It could only be Penzance related.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 6:46 am

puros_bran wrote:
Carlos, have you been hiding bacon from the Mrs in your baccy can again?

Fried strips of bacon and tobacco flakes might look the same when you're not wearing your specs or had one to many whisky.

The taste should be a bit different, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 7:50 am

Lesath wrote:
A six year wait, then licking and stuffing; this is quite the thread.  It could only be Penzance related.

EVERY thread is Penzance related !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil OK whiners, jump in !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 7:29 pm

This is killing me now, is penzance really that great? I never heard of it before today, and never saw it in a tobacco shop. It was sold out on every site I tried to buy it from, but so was st james flake not long ago. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
This is killing me now, is penzance really that great? I never heard of it before today, and never saw it in a tobacco shop. It was sold out on every site I tried to buy it from, but so was st james flake not long ago. scratch
To some it is and to some it is not. One of my favorite blends, but if you cant find any there are others similar. Give quiet nights a try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Jevverrett wrote:

To some it's the holy grail of Lat blends. Not so much to others. And part of the hype must surely lie in its limited availability. The only way to find out is to smoke it yourself and see.

When you get your 30/30 in you might post a thread in the trading form and see if someone can send you a sample in exchange for something you've got.

I'm off Lat blends these days otherwise I'd help you out.

Cheers,

RR

Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. Purple11x 2Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. Bombx10  Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. Bombx5Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. D6bddf10 Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 8:15 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:
To some it is and to some it is not. One of my favorite blends, but if you cant find any there are others similar. Give quiet nights a try.

I'll have to see about getting some of that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.   Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:

To some it's the holy grail of Lat blends. Not so much to others. And part of the hype must surely lie in its limited availability. The only way to find out is to smoke it yourself and see.

When you get your 30/30 in you might post a thread in the trading form and see if someone can send you a sample in exchange for something you've got.

I'm off Lat blends these days otherwise I'd help you out.

Cheers,

RR

I wasn't aware trading was against the rules in my first month. I posted something about a trade in another thread somewhere. Embarassed I thought it was just the trading post. I appreciate the tip on the trading post. I think I'd be waiting longer to find some either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Almost threw away 8oz of finely aged penzance.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: