HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lysander

Registration date : 2014-11-15

PostSubject: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:00 am

What's the deal? My friend (a NC resident) was charged sales tax by SmokingPipes.com (a SC company). My understanding is that if the vendor does not have a physical location in the customer's State, collection of sales taxes is not required. Some large e-tailers have opted to collect in a spirit of cooperation with state governments. Amazon started collecting earlier this year. I now avoid Amazon when I can find an equal deal elsewhere. No tax was charged by 4Noggins on my recent order. Anybody have any more specific information on this subject?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 am

I just placed an order with them yesterday (free shipping with orders of $50) and did not get taxed (California adress).

What concerns me is the possibility of the government demanding their past sales records and then taxing us (with penalties, of course) for not voluntarily paying tax on past purchases. I could see both the feds and the state coming for us for sales and tobacco taxes.

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:25 am

They merged with C&D a little while ago so they now have physical locations in both SC & NC. So lucky for us folks in NC we get to pay sales tax. Shocked me the first time it happened too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 am

swhipple wrote:
They merged with C&D a little while ago so they now have physical locations in both SC & NC. So lucky for us folks in NC we get to pay sales tax. Shocked me the first time it happened too.

I think this is the answer to your tax Lysander.

As far as retroactive tax... if they start charging retro tax on tobacco internet sales, they would have to charge retro tax on EVERY other type of sale over the internet as well. Good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:40 am

I placed an order with the Sierra Trading Post last night and was charged state sales tax, which had never been charged before.
I was told that they have a corporate presence in the lower 48 states and their parent company was TJX.
In other words, TJX, which owns Marshals, bought the Sierra Trading Post and now we have to pay state sales tax.
If your favorite no-tax internet store now charges sales tax, maybe they have a new owner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Move to Texas. None of the e'tailers are down here !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I buy my Fink cigars, which are made in Texas, through a cigar outlet out of state so I don't pay state sales tax on 'em here !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I was charged sales tax on my latest Pipes and Cigars order. I guess this is bc I'm in PA where P&C is located. You ask me it's BS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Well, guys, welcome to the world of tobacco taxes.
Here in European Union, 50 grams tin goes for something like $28.
I'm not gloating, I'm sorry and angry that the US, the last fortress of affordable tobacco falls under the pressure.
Stuff your cellars brothers, bad days are coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I was charged sales tax on my latest Pipes and Cigars order. I guess this is bc I'm in PA where P&C is located. You ask me it's BS
I got charged sales tax for your secret santa gifts because of where you live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:02 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
Old Nate wrote:
I got charged sales tax for your secret santa gifts because of where you live.

It's not so secret anymore... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Honestly, I'm not too bothered. If I have to pay sales tax, I have to pay sales tax - simple as that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:59 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
What concerns me is the possibility of the government demanding their past sales records and then taxing us (with penalties, of course) for not voluntarily paying tax on past purchases. I could see both the feds and the state coming for us for sales and tobacco taxes.

This is not going to happen. Amazon fought long and hard to avoid having to charge sales tax, they lost. I think NY was the first state, but PA fell right after and we have been paying taxes on Amazon goods ever since. The transition was smooth. They didn't even try to retroactively apply the tax to a purchases made between the time the order was entered by the court and the time Amazon actually started charging tax. If they don't bother with Amazon, there is no way they would bother with a rinky-dink (in the giant world of eCommerce, that is) pipe store.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:42 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

This is not going to happen. Amazon fought long and hard to avoid having to charge sales tax, they lost. I think NY was the first state, but PA fell right after and we have been paying taxes on Amazon goods ever since. The transition was smooth. They didn't even try to retroactively apply the tax to a purchases made between the time the order was entered by the court and the time Amazon actually started charging tax. If they don't bother with Amazon, there is no way they would bother with a rinky-dink (in the giant world of eCommerce, that is) pipe store.

Pretty much my humble assessment. Thanks Dave for your insight!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:45 pm

The way I look at it, even if they try collecting past tax from me it be like squeezing blood from a turnip, besides I'd rather ow'em then beat'em out of it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: sales tax   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 am

I figured a sales tax on all tobacco products was inevitable. I'm now in my second year of growing, curing, blah blah blah, everything to the ashtray. Of course, until my age rotation gets in place, I'm buying a couple pounds of tobacco a month. Trying to focus on overseas and/or already hard to get types.

So as I understand it, cigarette taxes are about 2/3 of the price of a pack. What is the percentage of tax on cigars and pipe tobaccos? Is it really worth the hype? Are my efforts justified or am I busting my butt to save a dime?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:58 pm

We have ordered several things from Amazon since the first of the year I just went back and doubled check.. no sales tax was charged
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:02 am

Amazon charges sales tax in Kentucky due to their warehousing facilities. Ditto Zappos, Strauss, Rolls Royce, etc.

Also in Ky we are required to file a Use Tax on items when an out of state company fails to collect sales tax as a back stop to defunding the Commonwealth. As a loyal and patriotic servant of the Commonwealth, I have always filed Use Tax on all Internet purchases to the penny owed. It's not only a duty but a right to abide by this great Commonwealth's rules and regulations as set forth by our wise representatives in Frankfort...

But for real, I don't know why everyone is all but hurt about it.. You spent 20 years or so getting by without paying the piper when ordering online, but you still paid it at the Local business'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:21 am

Still cheaper than the 75% New York sales tax on tobacco. When they ban online sales altogether is when the shit hits the fan.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:27 am

My prior post disregarded I'd bootleg the tins like Capone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:41 am

In the new Kentucky moonshine running system. In a souped up Prius, wearing night vision goggles, using GPS, and coordinating tin delivery with a smart phone.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 am

mark wrote:
In the new Kentucky moonshine running system. In a souped up Prius, wearing night vision goggles, using GPS, and coordinating tin delivery with a smart phone.

It will become a truly sad day if we have to start bootlegging tobacco. I guess then is the time to buy your own private island and grow your own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax   Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:13 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
mark wrote:

It will become a truly sad day if we have to start bootlegging tobacco. I guess then is the time to buy your own private island and grow your own.

Clearly you haven't spent much time in the northern states. NY taxes have gotten comical over these last 10 years, but they have always been high. I remember as a kid making trips to the boarder so family members could stock up on cartons of cigarettes. Its funny, my Mother in Law still lives in NY, and she stocks up when she comes down here to visit, but the cigarette smokers here in PA, go south (DE, MD or VA) to get their cigarettes. It's always cheaper somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SmokingPipes.com charges sales tax
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: