HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

For Fountain Pen folks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:46 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Michael, those are some real beauties you got there! I get the feeling you're holding out on us though. Inquiring minds and all that.

Jim

Not really holding out, just haven't revealed the results of 30+ years of fountain pen collecting and i have over 3 times the number of pens in my collection as opposed to just the 100+ pipes i smoke !! With time you'll see more !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Stick wrote:
huffelpuff wrote:
Now that right there was a tale worth the hearing old bean!

Here you go Jim, managed to find it.  Here's Arlette and me in front of her café...

Interestingly, the chap sat just behind me is ex Special Forces from Op Overlord.  He parachuted in in '44 and was that taken with Normandy he vowed to return after the war.  That he did and now lives very close to Pegasus Bridge.  Arlette explained that, every day, without fail, he turns up for a beer in her café.  How cool is that?!

David mate, that's an extraordinary story and no mistake! What a great experience for you and I'm sure you'll remember it always.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Two fine looking pens there Michael. I especially like the colouration on the Corral. Are most of your Mont Blancs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Stick wrote:
Two fine looking pens there Michael.  I especially like the colouration on the Corral.  Are most of your Mont Blancs?  

No, out of the over 300 I have, only about 36 are MBs. The rest are mostly late 30's thru early '60s  Parkers, both US and UK models and probably 100 are post war European pens. I've a wide variety of German pens from the late '40s thru '50s. By the mid to late '60s the ballpoint had superceded the fountain pen as a writting tool and many makers began to make pocket jewelery which is where the Mont Blanc firm is today ! I wouldn't have ANY of their pens made after 1960 myself and don't  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Interesting comment regarding the contemporary MBs Michael. I don't know the history of the company as well as you but my impression of them when travelling through airports etc is that they're more an accessory than a serious writing instrument. Pocket Jewellery is a great definition! I suppose a way to test this theory is to remove the 'snow cap' branding. If they still sold 'brandless' it could only be due to their reputation as a writing instrument.
Staying within Europe, what are the German brands you'd recommend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:12 am

Gonna use two different pens for the next week one Italian and the other German. First is an Aurora 88 from 1949:

The other a Mont Blanc Miesterstuck 74 from 1959:

What are you guys using ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Very beautiful pens there Michael! The Aurora is a real beauty for sure.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:38 pm

You really do have a great collection Michael. Good to see some earlier MBs too.

As you know I only have my 04 Parker Sonnet, but I use it daily for everything from making notes in my journal to writing letters to friends and family. I believe it beats an email in many ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Stick wrote:
You really do have a great collection Michael.  Good to see some earlier MBs too.

As you know I only have my 04 Parker Sonnet, but I use it daily for everything from making notes in my journal to writing letters to friends and family.  I believe it beats an email in many ways.

You use a good pen and you're corrct, a handwritten letter is WAAAAY better than texting or e-mail.  Twisted Evil But THAT takes time and EFFORT and BOTH of those are NOT on the list of things important in the 21st century !! Years ago, before the interweb we had Pen Forums and they were done by MAIL with pen and paper and we all got a LOT of info DESPITE the what's now considered primativeness of our methods !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:02 pm

monbla256 wrote:
You use a good pen and you're corrct, a handwritten letter is WAAAAY better than texting or e-mail.  Twisted Evil But THAT takes time and EFFORT and BOTH of those are NOT on the list of things important in the 21st century !! Years ago, before the interweb we had Pen Forums and they were done by MAIL with pen and paper and we all got a LOT of info DESPITE the what's now considered primativeness of our methods !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(And here, until tripped up by better judgment, I was going to insert a comment regarding smoke signals...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
You use a good pen and you're corrct, a handwritten letter is WAAAAY better than texting or e-mail.  Twisted Evil But THAT takes time and EFFORT and BOTH of those are NOT on the list of things important in the 21st century !! Years ago, before the interweb we had Pen Forums and they were done by MAIL with pen and paper and we all got a LOT of info DESPITE the what's now considered primativeness of our methods !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(And here, until tripped up by better judgment, I was going to insert a comment regarding smoke signals...)

I heard stories about those days from the old timers when I started collecting ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Nice. In fact, the entire line of Nakaya fountain pens looks pretty outstanding.

http://www.nibs.com/nakaya-briarwood-light-matte.htm

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am

Carlos wrote:
Nice.  In fact, the entire line of Nakaya fountain pens looks pretty outstanding.

The Japanesse make some nice pens. Their nibs are really nice but somewhat smaller than the equivelent Euro/American nib size. I have a Sailor 1911 in the red. w/M nib. A delightfull pen to use!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:42 am

Just for informational purposes for those that may be looking for an inexpensive pen to get started with. These have a custom ground nib that might be fun to write with. I get this in a email newsletter.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1011218534021&ca=38169885-c9a2-4924-b402-95e5f7bb78e5

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Carlos wrote:
Nice.  In fact, the entire line of Nakaya fountain pens looks pretty outstanding.

The Japanesse make some nice pens. Their nibs are really nice but somewhat smaller than the equivelent Euro/American nib size. I have a Sailor 1911 in the red. w/M nib. A delightfull pen to use!!

IMHO, the best and most consistent nibs out of the box come from Sailor.

My first was a PG II I bought while in Tokyo

As far as Nakaya is concerned, I can see how Briarwood may be popular to this group, but to get a Nakaya without Urushi is, at least to me, is to miss out on a tradition that is 3 centuries old.I currently have a custom Nakaya on the way that I have never seen before.

I'm adding a roll-stopper in the shape of a snake with made of silver with jade eyes, but it is a "long piccolo," which is specific to a certain vendor. So it will be long than this pic. (rhodium nib instead of their usual gold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: For Fountain Pen folks   Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:59 pm

In a Post War German mode this week. Am using two Pelokan's from the early 1950s the first is a Tortoisehell 400 NN with a VERY soft 14k OB nib :

Next is another Tortoisehell 400 with a VERY soft 14k M nib :

[/URL]
Back to top Go down
View user profile

For Fountain Pen folks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3