HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Semois and a new pipe.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mustanggt

Registration date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Semois and a new pipe.   Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 am

I guess I will make my contribution to the dissemination of my impressions of Semois tobacco. At the same time I am breaking in a new pipe as well. Ser Jacopo egg. The specifics are in the photos below. I've read other brothers reviews here and will concur on many of them. I like it. It smokes like a VA in that sips are required. Nuanced flavors hold sway here. I drank some Tully's coffee with it and that may have helped balance out the alkalinity of the Semois. I only say that as typical burley is more alkaline than say VA. One fellow said that it smelled like a fresh barn. I thought what the hell is that??? I wasn't thinking I wanted to smoke something that smelled like that. When I opened the packaging and took a deep whiff I got what the man was saying then. Clean straw and fresh hay and mucked out stalls. It is a nice smoke that I will weave in and out of my regular selections. It's a nice change of pace. Give it a shot if you haven't yet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:41 am

Really nice pipe. I like SJs--it's one of the few brands I click on when I get those bi-weekly notifications from SmokingPipes. I have a couple. I also like Semois quite a bit. Tastes like good, straight tobacco to me. I love the way you can pack the living hell out of it and the pipe will still draw. For some reason I was using it for several months as the last smoke of the day. Some people think it's a bore. Each to his own, as they say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:51 am

As I always say, "That just means more for us." One of the reasons why some folks don't get VA's. Being disciplined enough to slow your cadence down and sip will pay off with great flavor. If you're chewing over a problem on your mind and distracted don't smoke this, smoke something that won't bite you in the ass if left alone. I made sure I was concentrating on my pace so as not to incur the wrath of Semois, the god of the Ardennes. I'm going to try this in other known good smokers with any tobacco type pipes I have to see what that may do for taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice review and very nice pipe! I was thinking earlier today that I need to restock my semois jar. I like it for all the reasons you list, and I find it complex in ways that Virginias never are no matter how carefully I sip. Good stuff!
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
mustanggt

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:14 am

I smoked a couple of bowls in the same pipe tonight and finally caught a whiff of cigar but no taste of cigar. This is growing more and more on me. It is its own type for sure. I've not really tasted anything like this in all the tobacco I have smoked. I'll have to get more on my next order no doubt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:18 pm

I like the pipe alot !! Tried some of that Semois, same brand and type as yours, and at the time I did not realize it was just straight Burley !! Burley and I DON"T get along well so i gave it all away to a friend after just a half bowl !! Keep the pipe and dis the 'baccy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:00 pm

It is a good smoke from time to time for me but, I get all the above with a cigar essence
shall we say, that's not a bad thing mind you, not to me anyway but, I wouldn't want all
my tobaccos to have it. And yes! that's a nice pipe sir, lets see more of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Semois are very good tobaccos and there's nothing quite like them.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Great SJ, seriously nice pipe.

I think I fell into the "not a big deal" camp with the Semois. I enjoyed the little bit that was sent to me to try, but I am glad I didn't make and impulse buy when it first came out because I'd probably never smoke it. I thought it was flavorful and good but in a simple not very complex kind of way. Also it was a bit too strong for my taste. I do enjoy an occasional tobacco of strength but with Old Dark Fired, Irish Flake, 1792, and Dark Flake Scented lurking in my cupboard, I'd most likely never reach for the Semois.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 am

Just bought a cob to dedicate to semois as the last pipe I smoked it in was severely ghosted for the next ten bowls. I like the flavour of semois but for me it doesn't go with the English and Balkan tobaccos I normally go for.

I have to agree with it smelling like a fresh, clean barn with hints of forest litter but all in a good way.
Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Semois and a new pipe.   Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:19 am

...quite a nice pipe...I have a sizeable Ser Jacopo collection and they are great smokers...I enjoy the Semois as well...just a plain good tobacco taste and no frills... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Semois and a new pipe.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1