HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Dating Rattray Tins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

Dating Rattray Tins Empty
PostSubject: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I have a few tins of Marlin Flake and an Old Gowrie I got in a trade. From what I can see there is no way to datevtgese tins other than purchase dates. And possibly knowing when Rattray's went to the bright yellow labels for there 100 gram tins?

Does anyone know when they went from the light tan to the bright yellow? This, as I see it, is one way to figure how old my tins actually are.

Last edited by Old Nate on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:51 pm

I'd be very interested to know this as well since I also have some older Rattray tins. The thread Kyle posted a while ago has no reference to them unfortunately -

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t15572-comprising-a-list-guide-to-tobacco-tin-dates

Cheers,

RR

Dating Rattray Tins Purple11x 2Dating Rattray Tins Bombx10Dating Rattray Tins BombDating Rattray Tins D6bddf10 Dating Rattray Tins 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Nate,

I recently acquired a tin of Highland Targe from the James B. Russell era from a pipe shop that I visit from time to time in the bay area. It's a tan label tin and it's been sitting in their store since 6/2005. I read somewhere not too long ago that the JBR era ended in 2003, how long after the yellow labels came into play I am not quite sure but at the very least most tan label tins from the JBR era had a sticker on the bottom that read "Net Weight 4 OZ Smoking Tobacco US Distributor James B. Russell Inc. with the address and Made in Germany. After the JBR era the Rattray blends went to 100g and 50g weight tins.

Both of my 40z JBR era tins have no date mark.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:28 pm

I was going to make some quip about "...buy her a bottle of wine and make her drink it all..." but...

...in all seriousness, I came across about 10 years worth of Rattray's stuff over at my local Tinder Box back when I was curious about the date code mysteries, or at least that outside the C&D, McClelland and GL Pease blends.

Rattray's has clues, but no obvious pattern or decipher to when they made stuff. Older printed labels "made by" and "made for" are one, color and size of logos, the curious literature that sometimes accompanied the tin under the plastic lid, but nothing solid. Some stores I heard started hand-dating tins, but this also fell out of favor.

It seems to me, as well, more and more manufacturers are encrypting their lot, date and production codes so we are left in the dark. It might have something to do with marketing, as they'd rather just sell a product than worry about demand for older stuff. I don't see it as being a bad thing to clearly date-label a tin at the factory, but there's obviously a reason for it or they wouldn't do it. I also don't think it's to keep us in the dark, either, but to more accurately help the company keep track of product.

As for that decade span of Rattrays? Well, of course I bought a few tins of HOTW and Old Gowrie and stashed 'em. That seemed to be the best option at the time. Laughing How yellowed the lids were gave me some confidence good stuff is likely inside and getting better. I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Rattray's has clues, but no obvious pattern or decipher to when they made stuff.   Older printed labels "made by" and "made for" are one, color and size of logos, the curious literature that sometimes accompanied the tin under the plastic lid, but nothing solid.   Some stores I heard started hand-dating tins, but this also fell out of favor.

Anybody know of any source out there with the different labels and the periods that they were in use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 2:36 pm

idbowman wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Rattray's has clues, but no obvious pattern or decipher to when they made stuff.   Older printed labels "made by" and "made for" are one, color and size of logos, the curious literature that sometimes accompanied the tin under the plastic lid, but nothing solid.   Some stores I heard started hand-dating tins, but this also fell out of favor.

Anybody know of any source out there with the different labels and the periods that they were in use?

Yeah, it seems there's still no definitive time table regarding when the yellow label came into play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 3:08 pm

As far as figuring out actual dates of blending that probably is almost impossible from the newer tins. I had my first tin of Red Rapparee back in '69 when the firm was still in existance in Perth, Scotland and before they began to get their tobaccos blended on the Continent. I smoked three of their blends back then and continued up till the late '70s when they really were not as the earlier blends I had smoked. Prior to the mid '70s all the tins said on the labels  "Blended By Charles Rattray at Perth, Scotland"  By the mid '70s the labels read "Blended for Charles Rattray" . Though these newer blendings are some FINE blends, they are just NOT as I recall nor enjoyed when I first knew them. Twisted Evil But things change and change is the only constant in the world Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Cannot go by the "Blended By" or "Blended For" as those labels have appeared and changed at random over the years. The only important thing about dating Rattray's tins is how long they have been in my cellar.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Carlos wrote:
Cannot go by the "Blended By" or "Blended For" as those labels have appeared and changed at random over the years.  The only important thing about dating Rattray's tins is how long they have been in my cellar.

My guess is if they're anything like most manufacturing companies, the new labels got used, someone "forgot" a box of old labels here and there, the accountants said, "...hot damn, off-the-books money saver!" Laughing It's not terribly reliable. In actual brick-n-mortar stores, I have made good decisions by how yellow the lid color had turned. I suppose I could create a color chart approximating how white/yellow the lid is and an age range. Laughing

I recall STG doing the using-what-we-have when they took over the Dunhill mixing, packing and filling. Old tins got stuffed with new product, and it really irritated people.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Dating Rattray Tins   Dating Rattray Tins EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 4:07 pm

My tin of H. Targe has a thick layer of dust on it. Proper sedimentary tin analysis could possibly prove it to be circa 2001 maybe even 2000. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dating Rattray Tins
Page 1 of 1