HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

EARTH

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm

What does earth taste like in a tobacco?

I've seen this in numerous reviews, tobacco tastes earth like! I've never had the privilege to taste earth.

What does it mean when a tobacco taste like earth? I can only imagine it's like tasting sand/gravel/composs which can't be nice Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Some people have better tasting dirt than others. Laughing

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 pm

If you ever want to taste/smell what I would refer to as "earthy" and if you don't mind a little snuff in your diet, head over to Mr Snuff and grab a tin of Fribourg & Treyer's High Dry Toast. It literally smells like the crawl space of a raised foundation home. This is what I would refer to as an "earthy tobacco flavor."

As for pipe tobacco, the simple flavor of a hearty burley has always struck me as somewhat dirt or soil like in flavor (but in a good way). Many Nicaraguan cigars strike my senses in the same fashion (especially Padrons), as does Semois which to me also has a vegetal, manure and hay like aroma which I would classify as barnyard like. Moooo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:28 pm

The one I find amazing is "... tastes like leather" !! I feel so left out not having consumed any tanned cow skin in all my 68 years on this planet that I wonder how I can continue to smoke !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 pm

The one I find amazing is Ketchup! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:58 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
The one I find amazing is Ketchup! Razz

Especialy when it doesn't smell nor taste like ketchup Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 8:37 pm

People that haven't tasted a little dirt in there lives aren't missing much
but, obviously have had it way too easy. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 8:39 pm

monbla256 wrote:
The one I find amazing is "... tastes like leather" !! I feel so left out not having consumed any tanned cow skin in all my 68 years on this planet that I wonder how I can continue to smoke !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ever used your teeth to hold a baseball mitt while removing your jacket as a kid? Bet you have. And you'd remember what that was like.

Wink

Cheers,

RR

EARTH Purple11x 2EARTH Bombx10EARTH BombEARTH D6bddf10 EARTH 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
SpeedyPete

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather Twisted Evil We did not eat grass or hay either. That was used for the farm animals only.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:13 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/04/02/297881388/the-old-and-mysterious-practice-of-eating-dirt-revealed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:22 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather Twisted Evil  We did not eat grass or hay either.  That was used for the farm animals only.

Did all of that when I was a kid including chew'en on lead sinkers. Wink

But we never ate paint! No
Back to top Go down
Feazelle-n-it

Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 am

I've tasted it all and I prefer not to taste it in my tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 am

All I ever taste is tobacco. Neutral

But that's OK; I like tobacco. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:56 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather Twisted Evil  We did not eat grass or hay either.  That was used for the farm animals only.

Eeew! I hate to think how many split shot sinkers I bit down on when fishing. drunken

Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:03 am

MisterE wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Eeew! I hate to think how many split shot sinkers I bit down on when fishing. drunken

Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!

Imagine a blend with hints of green painted lead sinkers,  a whiff of old leather gloves and well worn army boots, faint florals like grannies panties, woodsy reminders of shavings from old toilet seats and a far-off but destinct smell of tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:39 am

Would y'all be happier with something like " it tastes the way earth/leather smells?" For me the two senses are so intertwined when smoking that I don't know for certain which I'm using. This is especially true on the retrohale. As an example, there is a flavor/smell that I find prominent in 3Nuns that I can only describe as varnished wood. I don't know if its helpful to use that term trying to explain my sensory experience to you. In fact I'm not even sure it is possible to explain it. But it is a way for me to capture my own subjective experience. So I keep the varnished wood to myself and just say its good.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
thesmoker

thesmoker

Registration date : 2011-11-10

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: EARTH    EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:59 pm

The closest thing to an "earthy taste" is smoking a Cuban cigar.. I haven't found this taste in any pipe tobacco I've smoked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

mustanggt

Registration date : 2014-12-27

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:36 pm

If you've ever tilled a garden in the spring to get it ready for planting and tilled in good clean compost, planted then raked smooth, you may have an idea. At least that is how I think of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
   Translations:

Tastes like fine corinthian leather: I think I just licked a horse. I taste forrest loam: I think I just licked dirt. I find traces of turbinado sugar: Wtf?! Did they mix some Cap n Crunch in this sh#$? Produces an array of earthy, organic, musky notes reminiscent of walks in a peat bog on a foggy morning: Tastes like as$. Reminds me of mrs Frontbottom: Last night was a big mistake.....

Think PD pretty much nailed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:12 pm

In my line of geotechnical work, to see the make-up and strata/conglomerate of certain specimen rocks, I have licked plenty. Fortunately, flavor is not a scientifically-recognized category I can put into reports. Perhaps if I went the other direction and found out which tobaccos they tasted like and why, I could change all of that and revolutionize the mining and exploration industry. EARTH 710492

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
In my line of geotechnical work, to see the make-up and strata/conglomerate of certain specimen rocks, I have licked plenty.   Fortunately, flavor is not a scientifically-recognized category I can put into reports.  Perhaps if I went the other direction and found out which tobaccos they tasted like and why, I could change all of that and revolutionize the mining and exploration industry.   EARTH 710492  

Cool

That would give new meaning to "pay dirt", wouldn't it!?

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Ya know when I say "Earthiness" I mean it's a flavor without sweetness and just a basic tobacco taste maybe a bit on the heavy side but, just saying a "tobacco taste" I think leaves a lot to the imagination seeing there are many different tastes of tobacco. So it's just a way of conveying that it's not sweet, it's earthy, that doesn't mean it tastes like dirt. 5)
Although I remember trying a few bowls of Union Square and it did taste like dirt to me.
Now you say, "How do you know what dirt tastes like?" Well if you've ever played Mumbley-peg (that's a knife game) when you were a child and lost, you'd know wouldn't you? EARTH Cheesy16
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm

I think that's one of the hard things about deciphering tobacco reviews. The adjectives simply point at a flavor profile that you either get or you don't. A lot of times I can Monday quarterback a review and say "yeah, I can see what he meant by plummy, or earthy." But just reading a review is pretty much useless for me most of the time. Knowing the various component tobaccos in a blend usually is more helpful to me.

If you think about trying to explain what an orange tastes like to someone who has never seen one. Well, it's the same thing.

Earthy to me would imply: simple and devoid of any strong flavor enhancements. Dry. Most C&D offerings would make me think "earthy". Especially their Burley blends.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

mustanggt

Registration date : 2014-12-27

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:13 pm

There are many tobaccos some wouldn't smoke just off the tin smell alone. Black Irish Twist is one that also happens to smell like a bag of steer manure and tastes little better. My favorite daily smoke is C&D Bayou Morning. It tastes outstanding to me but when I get a whiff of the tobacco in the tin it smells a little barnyard to me. Glad I went off of the ingredients of the blend or I wouldn't have tried it. As I said earlier about earthy, I love a freshly tilled garden in the spring ready to grow a good crop. One of life's simple pleasures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

EARTH Empty
PostSubject: Re: EARTH   EARTH EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:25 pm

mustanggt wrote:
There are many tobaccos some wouldn't smoke just off the tin smell alone. Black Irish Twist is one that also happens to smell like a bag of steer manure and tastes little better. My favorite daily smoke is C&D Bayou Morning. It tastes outstanding to me but when I get a whiff of the tobacco in the tin it smells a little barnyard to me. Glad I went off of the ingredients of the blend or I wouldn't have tried it. As I said earlier about earthy, I love a freshly tilled garden in the spring ready to grow a good crop. One of life's simple pleasures.

Have to agree, there's just no better smell then a damp pasture or freshly mowed hay in the morning.
And I get a manure smell from a tin Germain's Brown Flake but, you can be sure it tastes much different, just heavenly. Wink
Back to top Go down

EARTH
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next