HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

McClelland Top Hat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:01 pm

JimInks wrote:
General principles, my man Cart! General principles.

In other words, somebody had to be the fall guy!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
JimInks wrote:
General principles, my man Cart! General principles.

In other words, somebody had to be the fall guy!! Very Happy

Awww, go fry an egg!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Ahem.........

Can we get this back on topic brothers? I want to hear about your experiences with smoking Top Hat!

No I'm not a mod, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once in my short life....

jocolor

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Ahem.........

Can we get this back on topic brothers? I want to hear about your experiences with smoking Top Hat!

No I'm not a mod, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once in my short life....

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Dude,
You know Ron doesn't like to stay on topic in threads. He's an old fart that just likes to stir things up lol! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:25 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Ahem.........

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Dude,
You know Ron doesn't like to stay on topic in threads. He's an old fart that just likes to stir things up lol! Twisted Evil

Finally! Ya got something right for once!
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Ahem.........

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Dude,

Finally! Ya got something right for once!

And now that you're smoking ketchup you will also !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Well, I finally got a round tuit and lit up a bowl today. It's from a tin I got about a year ago and promptly forgot about it until today.

Have to say it rang all my bells right from the match. Has all the right components for a VaPer guy like myself. Great balance of flavors. Like Goldilock's porridge, it's just right.

Dunno if it'll knock off 2015 as my favorite VaPer (which I'm smoking right now), but it'll be a close thing.

Top Hat is definitely a bit sweeter and softer. Yet it has plenty of the fruity/figgy thing I like so much in Perique. And it was right ready to go right out of the tin. And I clearly get the "woodiness" thing that Jim describes.

Ya, only one bowl does not make a final determination. But when something sings to me like this did I'll have great expectations.

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Uh oh...............

Sounds like I may need to try that.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:16 am

I haven't had a bowl in a year now, reckon I should revisit it again, I've got a couple of tins around here some place. 5)
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Top Hat   Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 pm

I've been hitting this pretty regularly after work, and am still very pleased with it. Now smoking it in the Tinsky '15 BoB pipe, and what a great match!

One observation is that the cut (coarse crimp?) requires more re-lights than one might expect. That alone doesn't cause me any heartburn, only that it needs a bit more attention.

Also, the flavor is uniform down the bowl. I don't get any complexity coming through as sometimes develops. I don't find this to be a negative at all, mind. Pretty much what you're tasting initially is what you'll get throughout.

It certainly smokes cool with no bite whatsoever, despite enthusiastic puffing towards the bottom when there is much ash (and there is).

Due to the cut it can also easily clog the airway, so I've found a pipe cleaner is my friend as I smoke this. I've had no issues dislodging the errant leaf fragment. Always returns to open puffing.

I'm now 5 or so bowls into this, and experience dictates that due to the exposure of O2, the flavor will change a bit at some point. Possibly even open up a bit.

The McC tin had a pop-top and a plastic lid. Used that until today when I transferred it to a mason jar. As I said earlier, it was at the perfect moisture content (for me) right upon opening. And while I believe the plastic lid on the tin could very probably keep this in the same condition I'll err on the side of caution. Don't want it to dry out any further.

I'll be smoking on this daily until it's gone. Probably another couple weeks. Then move onto something else new. But think I've found a new sweetheart!

I love you

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

McClelland Top Hat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: