HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Empty
PostSubject: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Please forgive me if this has been covered/discussed - but I didn't find anything.

Had a question on recent seasonals and Limited Ed tobaccos.

In my "research" on blends and whatnot - I have noticed that there are distinct seasonals (often Christmas) that are issued annually.

In a recent order, I got a tin of Peterson's Christmas, Summer, and Limited for 2014.

Who knows - they sounded like they would be good, but I have no clue if they are.  Also not sure if they would disappear.

That lead me to looking into the McClelland "Christmas Cheer" releases, and they *do* appear to be limited run.  And it sounds like they are worth getting a few tins and holding onto some (I am a total noob, but like the idea of cellaring, and the science behind the changes tobacco undergoes with proper aging).  Same with their Anniversary Blend.

1)  What should a noob get a few cans of to hold onto before this season is over?

2)  What brands make decent blends for seasonal/Limited releases that are worth keeping an eye out for?

3)  Aside from "get a tin every year" type stuff what blends are those that are in the "must buy a couple cans for longer term cellaring" class?

I'm new to some of these concepts, but I don't want to miss out on anything that may be in limited supply.

Edit:

Recommendations:

McClelland's
Christmas Cheer (all years)

L. J. Peretti

Thanksgiving Day
Yuletide

Uhle's

Christmas Blend 2011

Last edited by DireWolf on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : list)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Get as much of McC's CC as you can, ANY year and put what you get aside for some time as it only get's BETTER with age!! It's good "fresh" but is well worth spending a few extra bucks to get some extra for "aging" !! It's the only "seasonal" i like but then I'm a ketchupholic Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 8:59 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Get as much of McC's CC as you can, ANY year and put what you get aside for some time as it only get's BETTER with age!! It's good "fresh" but is well worth spending a few extra bucks to get some extra for "aging" !!  It's the only "seasonal" i like but then I'm a ketchupholic Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Have to agree. McC Xmas Cheer is always a welcome treat - but you have to like straight red 'ginnys first and foremost. They can and will bite if smoked at anything more than a whisper. However if you age and prepare them carefully, and then sip them just at the point of going out you will be well rewarded.

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Purple11x 2Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Bombx10  Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Bombx5Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos D6bddf10 Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 pm

We'll find out soon enough.

Bought 3 tins, along with a bunch of other McC's. I noticed a few places were out, so I said screw it.

I can sip pretty naturally, but ill be setting most of this order aside. Want to try the bulk red and some other VAs from McC's first. Got a free oriental and whatnot with the same order.

Seem to be good at buying more than I can smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Peretti's Thanksgiving Day is great. I passed on it this year due to their high shipping prices (which they have since rectified) and a generous BoB member was kind enough to send me a sample. Excellent and very flavorful mild burley forward blend with just a touch of sweetness. It practically smokes itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 pm

DireWolf wrote:
We'll find out soon enough.

Bought 3 tins, along with a bunch of other McC's.  I noticed a few places were out, so I said screw it.  

I can sip pretty naturally, but ill be setting most of this order aside.  Want to try the bulk red and some other VAs from McC's first.  Got a free oriental and whatnot with the same order.

Seem to be good at buying more than I can smoke.

5100 Red Cake is at the top of the list. Smoking some right now aamof!

Cheers,

RR

Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Purple11x 2Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Bombx10  Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos Bombx5Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos D6bddf10 Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 10:38 pm

I have been enjoyed Fragrant Matured Cake quite a bit. That's a good smoke.

As far as the tinned McC reds go, Blackwoods Flake gets my dollar every time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Blackwoods Flake for sure and right behind it I'd recomend FM 2000, with 5100 Red Cake and Virginia Woods being equal other than price. ( 5100 is bulk and VW is sold in tins only) . But a word of caution, as is known as FACT by many of the EXPERTS here, these all contain KETCHUP Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ( if you believe that I still have some smoke from Mt. Saint-Helen's I'll sell ya !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 am

McC Christmas Blend is the only seasonal/limited run I buy each year...they are Virginia blends and VAs age very, very well.

I buy three - one to smoke in two years, one to smoke "when I get to it," and one to stick away indefinitely.

I guess that's not true...I also go the the NASPC show in Columbus, OH every year and buy two tins of their annual "show" blends. Again, one to smoke and one to hide at the back of the cellar. To my knowledge, these are made in one very limited run and aren't sold at retail stores on online (so you either have to go the show, find someone who can go and buy them for you, trade for them, or track them down on eBay/Pipestud/etc).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Good info.

Thanks.

In looking more - most of the other seasonals seem to be aros.

The 3 tins I picked up will all be put aside for a while, as I have been on bit a tobacco tear. I have 8 or 9 other McC tins coming with the Christmas Cheer. A variety of VAs, some more English, and an oriental or two. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big G

Big G

Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm

McClelland's Christmas Cheer is a must-try in my opinion and will age beautifully.
If you enjoy aromatics, more must-try's in my opinion:
Uhle's Christmas Blend 2011 is so good they added it to their regular line-up.
This year I also tried Peretti's Yuletide, which I found to be a delicious aromatic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Nice.

I'm updating the OP on the Seasonals.

I included hyper links to each shop - trying to make finding them convenient, only to find out n00bs can't post links for 7 days. Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I had never tried Christmas Cheer until my Secret Santa sent me some this year. I have been missing out;it's good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

fsu92john wrote:
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I had never tried Christmas Cheer until my Secret Santa sent me some this year. I have been missing out;it's good stuff.

Yes it is and Peretti's Thanksgiving day is another good one IMHO! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 8:50 pm

fsu92john wrote:

With or without ketchup?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 am

Good advice so far, but I'll buck the trend somewhat and suggest that a new guy should avoid those rare and seasonal blends. There is so much great tobacco on the market that is accessible and inexpensive (relatively speaking). Figure out what you really really like before you start stockpiling and chasing unicorns.

Don't kill yourself trying to get Penzance, grab some Westminster and Nightcap and make sure you actually like big lat blends. Skip the Christmas Cheer and grab a tin of Blackwoods Flake and Escudo. Anyway, YMMV. Good luck man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 11:31 am

I'm doing that too.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos   Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Good advice so far, but I'll buck the trend somewhat and suggest that a new guy should avoid those rare and seasonal blends. There is so much great tobacco on the market that is accessible and inexpensive (relatively speaking). Figure out what you really really like before you start stockpiling and chasing unicorns.

Don't kill yourself trying to get Penzance, grab some Westminster and Nightcap and make sure you actually like big lat blends. Skip the Christmas Cheer and grab a tin of Blackwoods Flake and Escudo. Anyway, YMMV. Good luck man.

I really recommend this, at least at the very beginning. It took a bit of smoking and refining my technique before I started to recognize the difference between OK/good and really good blends. I'd say stick with cheap and easy for bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1

Seasonals and Limited Run Tobaccos
Page 1 of 1