HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Where's the Sauce?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alandadp

alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 pm

As a Brit, I'm not able to get many fine American tobaccos very easily but recently I was able to get 4oz of McC's 2015.
Imagine my excitement, I opened the baggy, took a deep inhale through my nose and ...... NOTHING Exclamation
Not a thing, except perhaps a mild pleasant aroma of tobacco, WHERE'S THE SAUCE?
I've smelled the sauce in other McC blends people have been good enough to send me small samples of so I was expecting a blast from this. Tried again, still nothing. Asked the good wife, whose olifactory senses haven't been corrupted by years of pipe smoking, to have a sniff: "Doesn't smell of Ketchup" (delivered as statement not opinion).
I examined the bag contents, could the sender have made a mistake? Nope, a nice dark mixture of broken and whole flakes as expected. I filled my new MM Country Gentleman and puffed away ... a pleasant VaPer leaning on the Va rather than the perique, this could become a regular for me if I can get more, but still NO SAUCE.
Poured the bag contents into a Kilner jar and shook it up a bit then sniffed again.... maybe the merest hint of sauce but I may have been imagining it by this stage!
WHAT IS GOING ON?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 2:35 pm

That is strange Adam and what's even stranger is I was rubbing some out just as I read your post. Mine still has a bit of that vinegary smell so maybe your customs department there
deodorized it for ya. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
alandadp

alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Well, as least they didn't charge me any duty on it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Your'e just smelling what it is and they ALWAYS are, NO ketchup !! Fermented, FLUE CURED Va's YES! KETCHUP NO  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil But so as not to be in opposition to all the rest of the experts I'll agree about Ketchup! Hey what would I know cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Adam

I smoke a fair bit of 2015. It's in my regular rotation. I definitely get the vinegary aroma. No doubt about it. Not a negative in my book. In fact I just now got my nose over a jar, and yup it was there in spades.

I also get this from other McC blends. Not ketchup to me as others have stated. Doesn't transfer into the taste. Looks like it's related to the red 'ginnys they use. Whatever it is, it sure pleases my palate.

Perhaps your sense of smell just doesn't pick up on this? Not trying to be negative or judgemental. We all don't experience the same things after all.

Not a plus nor a minus. I often don't get the nuances others have found in a particular 'baccy. Go figure.....

drunken

Cheers,

RR

Where's the Sauce? Purple11x 2Where's the Sauce? Bombx10Where's the Sauce? BombWhere's the Sauce? D6bddf10 Where's the Sauce? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Where's the Sauce? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Sauce?   Where's the Sauce? EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 3:35 am

Adam, after reading your post I'm mulling over the possibility of a causal relationship.  I don't profess to understand too much about it but it seems that the ketchup smell is evidence of a fermentation process occurring?  Perhaps your baccy hasn't had long enough to begin to ferment?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Where's the Sauce?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: