HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stapf

Registration date : 2014-10-23

PostSubject: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am

I'd heard this before, but never thought it would be this dramatic. I bought a Tim West estate pipe at the same time I started trying Burley Perique tobaccos. So I naturaly dedicated it to them. It smoked so wet I was ready to either sell it or send it for repair. Before I did something that drastic I decided to try my old standby Kajun Kake in it and I smoked nearly the whole bowl with no gurgle. I used 1 pipe cleaner during the smoke and I think I.could have smoked it all the way with slightly better technique. Previously I was using at least 5 pipe cleaners a bowl and often many more than that. Live and learn. I had no idea it could be that dramatic a difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 am

I too have noticed this from time to time. Some pipes you can get careless with and puff
way to fast with and there forgiving, while others demand a slow cadence.
Although a few freehands and not to poo poo Tim West in anyway (he makes a fine pipe IMHO), if that's what we're talking about, do have a tendency to be wet smokers because improper drilling techniques or stem work. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
stapf

Registration date : 2014-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 pm

It definately could use some work as it won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through with the stem attached. It is the only pipe I have that refuses to do so. Not a freehand, but not quite traditional. It is a bent that is based on a traditional shape, but the bowl is panelled. I was told it was from the early 80's. At that time it wasn't considered such a big deal if you couldn't pass a cleaner from what i understand. I'm just glad I found a tobacco it likes as I like the pipe, but the gurgle was really annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:29 pm

stapf wrote:
It definately could use some work as it won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through with the stem attached.  It is the only pipe I have that refuses to do so.  Not a freehand, but not quite traditional.  It is a bent that is based on a traditional shape, but the bowl is panelled.  I was told it was from the early 80's.  At that time it wasn't considered such a big deal if you couldn't pass a cleaner from what i understand.  I'm just glad I found a tobacco it likes as I like the pipe, but the gurgle was really annoying.

There a quite a bit of pipes out there that won't pass a cleaner but, that doesn't mean it was drill improperly nor does it mean it will gurgle. Passing a pipe cleaner doesn't mean it won't smoke well but, for me it's just a PITA to have to wait till it cools to pull the stem to clean it. Yep! I'm lazy and want to run a cleaner through my pipes right after I'm done and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

One of the mysteries of life.

For me remembering which pipe does what with each tobacco is the problem.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.   Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:12 pm

mark wrote:
One of the mysteries of life.

For me remembering which pipe does what with each tobacco is the problem.

Amen Brother, which is why I maintain an Excel spreadsheet with pipes across the top and blends down the side. Where each intersect is where I have my notes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Live and learn. Some pipes don't like some tobaccos.
Page 1 of 1