HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stabilized Burl Source

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Stabilized Burl Source Empty
PostSubject: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm

New stock just posted. These will go shockingly fast over the next few days and then more slowly.

This is my main vendor for all things burl...a great vendor.

http://www.burlsource.com/burls-knife-scales.html

Such gorgeous stuff! It is to weep! I picked up #29A. Purple Rain?

Stabilized Burl Source D6bddf10Stabilized Burl Source 29400910Stabilized Burl Source 114e6110Stabilized Burl Source Ddb39b10Stabilized Burl Source Cf77ce10Stabilized Burl Source Dd692012Stabilized Burl Source Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Good news! Now go make a knife for me to purchase!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Let's see...$25 for the scales...$45 for the steel...$5 for sundries. Total of $75 for materials. Add on ten to twenty hours labor, depending on the design. So if it took a minimal ten hours and the total cost to a buyer was $175 I'd be making the new minimum wage! lol

Stabilized Burl Source D6bddf10Stabilized Burl Source 29400910Stabilized Burl Source 114e6110Stabilized Burl Source Ddb39b10Stabilized Burl Source Cf77ce10Stabilized Burl Source Dd692012Stabilized Burl Source Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Yeah but that's untaxed and 'putzing around time' you'd of otherwise spent screwing around in the shop anyway. Ain't gonna get rich, but it's better than wanking your pud.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Good advice from an expert. But I don't consider my time in the shop as just screwing around as that kinda minimizes the value of any products. I recently donated one knife and one carved walking stick to a local charity auction. The two items cleared a total of $500. Pretty good for putzing around.

Here's the thing. I have friends and acquaintances here that, at least to me, are highly valued. I've sold knives to them, Mr. F included, for materials plus two bucks an hour. Why? Because they deserve it. Mr. F especially. No one has a more giving spirit. So if I make next to nothing on some item I at least have the satisfaction of returning some of what he and others have given here, and likely elsewhere.

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 10:13 am

Great looking blocks and scales so hard to choose what color I want next. As soon as I finnish the puukko I'm working on I'm hitting them up!

Get it finnish.........Rolling Eyes

I see what you did there!
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 11:41 am

Wow! I just browsed down through the page again and was surprised at how many pieces have been taken. My pick was #29A...a purple box elder burl with amazing graining (is that a word?).

And, yes, I said PURPLE. lol

Stabilized Burl Source K29

Back to top Go down
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:21 pm

I love the hickory stabilized burl.  The grain is outstanding!

I have one of Blackhorse's knives. He does a top notch job. I wouldn't call his work "putzing" around. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Those green ones remind me of malachite.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Stabilized Burl Source   Stabilized Burl Source EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 pm

And some of the blues look like Lapis. Cool!

Back to top Go down

Stabilized Burl Source
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: