HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

HH Latakia Flake in tins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

HH Latakia Flake in tins Empty
PostSubject: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 12:19 am

Guys,

I've been puffing a lot of HH Latakia flake lately and have noticed all the four tins I've opened have rust in the corners. My concern with this is that this tobacco was only released last year, how will the rust effect cellaring?

I'm thinking of getting a bulk lot and jarring it might be the safest option.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 12:24 am

The vinegar binder used is causing the rust. MacBaren is aware of the problem, but the only way to fix it as far as I can see is to change the formula, and I don't really see that happening. ODF has the same problem. MacBaren, like many overseas blenders, don't really tin for long term storage. Per Jensen, who runs MacBaren told me that was more of an American approach, which, from talking to smokers overseas, seems to be the case. Best to jar those blends if you have them in tins. Buying in bulk is cheaper, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
tarheel7734

tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 12:38 am

Man I guess I will have to buy more jars. I have a few HH. Tins now and don't want them to rust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Glad I warned you   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 2:22 am

I'd hate for a BoB to expectantly open a tin to find it turned to dust.

Just ordered a pound from SP and have a large jar ready for it.

I'm surprised MacB aren't more concerned about the tin degrading as these tins have a large amount of rust but are less than six months old.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 11:46 am

Jar it. Those square tins are pretty much worthless for anything anyhow, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for MacB to upgrade so that the OCD pipester with TAD can keep them unopened for two decades.

And by the way, did I hear someone mention vinegar? As in catsup?  Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Jar it. Those square tins are pretty much worthless for anything anyhow, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for MacB to upgrade so that the OCD pipester with TAD can keep them unopened for two decades.

And by the way, did I hear someone mention vinegar? As in catsup?  Suspect

Where's Monbla when we need him????
Twisted Evil

I always jar HH ODF, Solani Flakes, etc. when I replenish my supply. Yeah you cant trust those square tins for anything but transport imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Is that a Mac problem with the square tins (where then get them from, the metal, their moisture or pH), or is it something inherent in the square shape (tight corner creases, etc.)?

Do the Orlik 50g tins (for example) have this same issue, or is it just the HH line of MacB's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 8:58 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Is that a Mac problem with the square tins (where then get them from, the metal, their moisture or pH), or is it something inherent in the square shape (tight corner creases, etc.)?

Do the Orlick 50g tins (for example) have this same issue, or is it just the HH line of MacB's?

Square tins can lose seals, especially Sam Gawith tins. But MacBaren tins mostly keep well. The rust problem seems to be only with ODF and Latakia Flake because of the vinegar, as I mentioned earlier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Didn't think about the seals, but the round tins would have a nice even pressure all the way around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: HH Latakia Flake in tins   HH Latakia Flake in tins EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 am

Good info to know. I have two tins of Latakia Flake and 6-7 tins of ODF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

HH Latakia Flake in tins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: