HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Aromatic Dry Mouth

Go down 
AuthorMessage
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 4:58 pm

I've been saying I don't think aromatics are for me.... But I thought I'd try Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake.

I smoked a third of the bowl before calling it quits.
Seems when I smoke aromatics I don't taste much of anything, and my mouth gets ridiculously dry. I know smoke in general would dry your mouth, but aromatics make my mouth feel bone dry to an hncomfrotae level. Even drinking a glass of water afterwards doesn't seem enough to kill the dryness.

Is it just me? Some of the aromatics have a pleasant smell that people seem to enjoy, but so far (Butternut Burley and SG Chocolate Flake) seemed to have 0 taste as well as he unpleasantly dry mouth. I had read that SG Chocolate Flake was more like an English with a hint of chocolate, but didn't seem like it to me. Guess it's English blends for me from here on out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 7:31 pm

If you are new to pipe smoking and have been smoking quite a bit you may have fatigued your mouth.

Consider using Biotene if the dry mouth persists. It also helps with tongue bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 8:39 pm

WWP...Don't know what to tell ya'!!! I'm a big latweed fan who rather enjoys The Mayors Chocolate Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake. To me they are more English with a hint of chocolate. Never noticed the mouth dryness thing, but we are all different in these respects. You're probably right that aro's aren't for you...Welcome to the club cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 pm

ftrplt - I heard that about the flake, so thought I'd enjoy it but to me it was just like the last aromatic I smoked. No taste just an unpleasantly dry mouth. Sad I thought I would really like it too!

Gravel - I haven't exceeded a pipe a day, and even then had days where I had none. I'm leaning towards it not being fatigue. I just now finished half a small bowl of Dunhill Nightcap (first time - rich tobacco!) and my mouth was salivating like usual and all was well.
I'm guessing there is some ingredient in some of the aromatics I tried that just doesn't agree with me?

Weird, but I don't know what else it could be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Certainly sounds like there's some common denominator in the arros that doesn't agree with you. If you could identify that element, then perhaps you could find an aromatic that would work for you. Of course there's no rule that new guys have to smoke arros and since you seem happy with English blends, etc. no worries. Just "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke".afro
Jmtc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:17 pm

I would hazard a guess that it may be associated with the PG that's used in many of the Aro blends on the market. Just a thought Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 pm

WWP - if you really want to try a good aro, then order a tin of Dan Tobacco's Milonga.  It's a fantastic VA blend with just a bit of topping. No dry-mouth for me and a great (but in no way overpowering) vanilla flavor as well. Plus - the VA's are really decent quality in this one.

I sent Monbla a tin of it a couple years ago, and he claimed it re-newed his faith in Aromatics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
WWP - if you really want to try a good aro, then order a tin of Dan Tobacco's Milonga.  It's a fantastic VA blend with just a bit of topping. No dry-mouth for me and a great flavor as well. Plus - the VA's are really decent quality in this one.

I sent Monbla a tin of it a couple years ago, and he claimed it re-newed his faith in Aromatics.

Rob's got that one right, it IS VERY GOOD and I still get a tin of it now and then to have around for smoking around folks who don't usually like smoking as it seems to not bother them as much !! Besides it IS a good smoke !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Hmmm, well there's a bit of a divide between SG Chocolate Flake and something like Butternut Burley which is a typical American style aromatic, probably with a bit of PG in it to help maintain moisture.

I'd jar that Chocolate Flake up and revisit it down the road. All of SG's blends are true Englishes, still done as they were centuries ago under English purity laws. In other words, a flavored tobacco in the Gawith stable is not at all like a PG soaked flavored tobacco from your friendly neighborhood B&M, Lane's 1Q or what have you.

This dry mouth thing happens to me from time to time. Usually I am having problems related to sinuses, (the Sacramento area has some foul air conditions), or I am dehydrated, or I am having a sensitivity to some enviromental variable.

I went through a long stretch where I could only smoke VA's, and Vapers, as the Latakias that I was once enjoying were making my mouth feel dry, making me wheeze w/ runny nose the whole nine yards. REcently I have been enjoying Latakias again with no ill effect. Anyway when this has happened in the past, I have always, jarred up the offending baccy and revisited it later.

Try it again in the summer. If it still disagrees with you, that's what the trade forum is for. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Yeah, Bob's Chocolate Flake really doesn't strike me as an aromatic as we've come to know them here. I rather enjoy it personally and have never experienced dry mouth as a result of smoking it.

One thought on the dry mouth is that you might be swallowing your saliva more as you smoke. That's natural because we want to taste the tobacco and will do it almost unconsciously. Maybe have some coffee or some other beverage to sip as you smoke. That'll help replenish the moisture you go along.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:46 pm

I did pick up small jars today to jar some tobaccos. I'll jar the SG then and try it down the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 pm

Another way to go would be to try some of the Red and Orange Va's available as these can be very naturally sweet and somewhat aromatic without much in the way of additives to the blends. Some that I personally smoke on a regular basis are two from the "ketchup" folks in KC, McClelland's FM 2000 a basically straight Red Va which has a nice room note ( as told me by others) and their 5100 Red Cake. McCranies also sells two Red Va's , Red Ribbon and Red Flake which are basically aged in the tin versions of the two McC's blends I mentioned just crop year specific blended and tinned for them. They are what I would call "natural aro's " Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:14 pm

I'll check them out. I'm open to trying almost any 'baccy but so far I'm partial towards english blends or Virginias/VaPers. I like Latakia. I'm open to aros, but not expecting to like them as much, but seems like I'm not having good luck. The SG Chocolate Flake reaction today really threw me for a loop, I was just assuming it was common flavoring agents or something. But since I Started piping weeks ago this is the first time I stopped a bowl and didn't finish. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Aromatic Dry Mouth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aromatic Dry Mouth   Aromatic Dry Mouth EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 pm

WandererOfWeirdPaths wrote:
I'll check them out. I'm open to trying almost any 'baccy but so far I'm partial towards english blends or Virginias/VaPers. I like Latakia. I'm open to aros, but not expecting to like them as much, but seems like I'm not having good luck. The SG Chocolate Flake reaction today really threw me for a loop, I was just assuming it was common flavoring agents or something. But since I Started piping weeks ago this is the first time I stopped a bowl and didn't finish. :/

You're only just beginning to engage in this habit so you can't expect to have good results with EVERY blend/mixture you try. I've been smoking longer than you've been alive and this happens to me STILL at times !! It's just what pipe smoking is !! You encounter it, re-asses what you thought and move on !! You DON'T HAVE TO LIKE every blend that others do !! Nor does EVERY BLEND that's one of the group "in" blends have to agree with you !! Just sit back, relax and LEARN from YOUR experience ! It's YOUR pipe and mouth !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aromatic Dry Mouth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: