Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Empty
PostSubject: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Just got one for a new MM Shire Cobbit.

Fancy flame something or other - looks fantastic.

Insert into shank and it spins freely.

Question is - is this a MM issue or a WBW issue?

Anyone else experience this?
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Curious... I have only bought vulcanite ones, but they have all fit nicely. I would call them. They may have sent the wrong stem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Sounds like you ordered a none filtered stem for a filter pipe. The tenons are much larger on filter pipes so the mortise will not fit a nonfiltered stem. You'll have to let them know that your want a nonfiltered stem for a filter pipe. I make my own and the cost is about a fourth of what they charge for an Acrylic stem. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 pm

If it's a filter pipe, there was no filter provided, nor does the description say anything about a filter.

Second, the WBW site states their bits fit this model.

This would fit snug with a wrap of scotch tape.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 am

Okay, I'm still not a fan of there's, $20 to $25 not including shipping I imagine for a stem you can purchase for $5 and cut the tenon yourself. 5)
I'd just send it back and tell'em to try again then.
Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 am

Your helpful input has been noted.
Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

More digging:

The Shire Cobbit is listed as unfiltered, but I sent an inquiry to MM.

Reply -

Quote :
Hi!

Although the Shire is a non-filtered pipe, the size of the shank is the same size as the one used on filtered pipes. You might check with Walker Briar Works to see if you ordered the right size Forever bit. We did send a set of the Cobbit pipes up to Dave so he would know exactly what sizes the stems are.

Thanks!

Marilyn

Missouri Meerschaum Co.

And in checking the WBW site:

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html

The Shire Cobbit is called out on the right as a model the stems fit, on a page with filtered pipe bits.

I sent an email to WBW last night, but no word.

I suspect the bit is the problem.

Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Looks like I'm just lucky.

Dave seems nice enough, though.

Quote :
Thank you for your email. I'm sorry you're having a problem with your stem. MM's shank inside diameters vary from batch to batch. I make stems to fit the average inside diameter of new pipes we have in stock. They end up fitting about 95% of the pipes properly, but are either a little loose or a little tight in the remaining 5% due to the shank variances. Usually just smoking the pipe solves the problems as the shanks are made of birch and the moisture and heat from smoking softens the wood at which point it molds itself to the new stem.

It sounds like your pipe has an unusually large shank diameter. That being the case, I will make a new stem with a larger diameter tenon to fit your pipe. I'll ship it out with a postage paid return envelope for you to return the stem you have to us. Please keep in mind, the new stem I send you will probably be too large to fit the average MM shank.

I this will problem on your new pipe. Again, I apologize for the problem, and hope you understand why there is one.

Thanks again for your note, Shawn, and for buying our stems.

Regards,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Looks like I'm just lucky.

Dave seems nice enough, though.

Quote :
Thank you for your email.  I'm sorry you're having a problem with your stem.  MM's shank inside diameters vary from batch to batch.  I make stems to fit the average inside diameter of new pipes we have in stock.  They end up fitting about 95% of the pipes properly, but are either a little loose or a little tight in the remaining 5% due to the shank variances.  Usually just smoking the pipe solves the problems as the shanks are made of birch and the moisture and heat from smoking softens the wood at which point it molds itself to the new stem.

It sounds like your pipe has an unusually large shank diameter.  That being the case, I will make a new stem with a larger diameter tenon to fit your pipe.  I'll ship it out with a postage paid return envelope for you to return the stem you have to us.  Please keep in mind, the new stem I send you will probably be too large to fit the average MM shank.

I this will problem on your new pipe.  Again, I apologize for the problem, and hope you understand why there is one.

Thanks again for your note, Shawn, and for buying our stems.

Regards,

Dave

Dave has always been very helpful in my experience. Looks like your issue should be resolved soon Wolfman.

Cheers,

RR

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Purple11x 2Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Bombx10  Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Bombx7Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems D6bddf10 Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 am

I have the MM Wizard Cobbit and was thinking about getting one of their nicer acrylic stems for it.
Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Took two wraps of tape.

I didn't see the point of returning it if this one would fit future cobs.

Looks great though.

Fire Swirl!

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems F-Fire-Swirl

But yes, Brewman.  Very nice guy.

I'll probably pick up one or two stems more.

I'm chewing up bits just a bit sooner than I am burning out Morgans.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 4:04 pm

As soon as Cart wants to start selling em for 1/4 the price I'm in. I've wanted couple of these but they are kinda steep.

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 4:10 pm

On the flipside, someone could start selling them at $30 - $35 and suddenly Dave's stems would look like a bargain.   Laughing   Reverse "Wal-Marting?"    

I like the tape idea if the stem isn't fitting, and especially when the stem is the part invested in (presumably) forever... no sense in expanding the tenon. I've swapped OEM cob stems on many cobs, and some fit, some don't. 🤷 

WBW is good people; they've always been cool to me.  

Cool
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
As soon as Cart wants to start selling em for 1/4 the price I'm in. I've wanted  couple of these but they are kinda steep.

You must have missed that "Yourself" comment. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
As soon as Cart wants to start selling em for 1/4 the price I'm in. I've wanted  couple of these but they are kinda steep.

I was waiting for an offer to make me one but shockingly, it didn't come.

They are not cheap, but dear lord the OEM stems on MMs are pure crap.

And I am chewing through Morgans before I can burn them out - shoving knives into the bits to try to open them up. With a pipe that can take a month of ridiculous abuse, I'll invest a few bucks into a bit that won't crush into bits after a night of being a bit over served. They make a marginal truck/garage pipe that costs $4.50 twice as nice, and I just move it to the next one.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 8:23 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

I was waiting for an offer to make me one but shockingly, it didn't come.

I hope you weren't holding your breath. Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Cheesy49
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 5:51 pm

I went ahead and bought a Walker Forever stem. On the face of it it seems a bit high priced to spend $27 (total including shipping) for a stem for a pipe that costs $9, but then there's the simple ideal that a man is in business to supply us a thing we want and he's probably only making a few bucks on each one. From what I've heard, these aren't just stock stems (which come in need of tuning), they are drilled out properly and cut to fit the pipe we have, and that takes a few minutes even for a guy with the proper tools and experience. I know every time I've opened up a stem I fiddled and fiddled with it using tiny files and such until I got it just right. It's a pain in the butt. If he's pocketing $15 for his time and I don't have to do it, sounds like a fair trade.

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 6:15 pm

I purchased several of Dave's stems for my cobs, and I have been extremely happy with the quality. Internally, they are spot on, and visually, they really dress up my cobs.

I would highly recommend any of the services and products he offers.
Back to top Go down
JustTroItIn

JustTroItIn

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm

They really are very nice stems. I have had this one for a year now and just ordered a second yesterday.

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems IMG_1414_zps257b6282
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 5:06 pm

A promised update. Got my nosewarmer bit from Walker Briar and it's worth every penny. Going to order a bent one for filtered cobs (this one is straight unfiltered). Daves nosewarmer bits are an inch and a half and balance perfectly. Excellent airway, smokes wonderfully, fast service and shipping, can't beat it.

As I figured, as soon as I put this new bit in the Spindle Cob it smoked like a dream.

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image12

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image13

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image14

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image15

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Dutch wrote:
I purchased several of Dave's stems for my cobs, and I have been extremely happy with the quality. Internally, they are spot on, and visually, they really dress up my cobs.

I would highly recommend any of the services and products he offers.

Cheap as I am, I have three of these stems. They are very well made, and I highly recommend them. They really change the cob smoking experience for me, but I am a little sensitive to "mouth feel."
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Pretty spiffy there PDiddy.

I really have to get a round tuit and secure some forever stems for my cobs.

Cheers,

RR

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Purple11x 2Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Bombx10  Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Bombx7Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems D6bddf10 Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
A promised update. Got my nosewarmer bit from Walker Briar and it's worth every penny. Going to order a bent one for filtered cobs (this one is straight unfiltered). Daves nosewarmer bits are an inch and a half and balance perfectly. Excellent airway, smokes wonderfully, fast service and shipping, can't beat it.

As I figured, as soon as I put this new bit in the Spindle Cob it smoked like a dream.

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image12

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image13

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image14

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Image15

Puff, the color of that acrylic stem really goes well with the natural color of a well smoked cob. Yours looks much more appealing than my black shortie stem. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
leacha

leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Agreed, that color combo is sweet! I plan on smoking nothing but cobs this year and I hop I can get the same color out of mine.
Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems Th_20150228_143514

Last edited by leacha on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 pm

That is actually a brand new cob. Bought it from a guy on ebay who stains them himself.

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next