Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
That is actually a brand new cob. Bought it from a guy on ebay who stains them himself.

Ummmm, that's cheating! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 11:14 pm

Yeah, but it looks great long before it's about to burn out.

JustTroItIn

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 11:21 pm

It has been a year since I bought my last one so it was time to get another.

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 IMG_1890_zps1xztjpkk
Back to top Go down
leacha

leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 12:19 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
That is actually a brand new cob. Bought it from a guy on ebay who stains them himself.
Crap! I wish you wouldn't have said that. I do not need another cob do I?
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 8:21 am

Just need to figure out how to do that stain job ourselves....... Suspect

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

Puff, I experimented once with a stain I use to build wood arrows. I use Rit dye and mix it with denatured alcohol, and it works great on arrow woods, but I couldn't get it to absorb properly into a cob. I was trying to stain the cob green, but it just wasn't happening. Not sure why, but I have always been fascinated with green pipes.

I also tried some standard brown Minwax stains, but they didn't absorb into the Plaster of Paris fill, and eventually caused the PoP to turn loose in some places. I epoxied those pieces back in though.

I never tried soaking the cob in the Rit dye mix over a period of time though, maybe that would have allowed the stain to absorb properly.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Dutch wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

Puff, I experimented once with a stain I use to build wood arrows. I use Rit dye and mix it with denatured alcohol, and it works great on arrow woods, but I couldn't get it to absorb properly into a cob. I was trying to stain the cob green, but it just wasn't happening. Not sure why, but I have always been fascinated with green pipes.

I also tried some standard brown Minwax stains, but they didn't absorb into the Plaster of Paris fill, and eventually caused the PoP to turn loose in some places. I epoxied those pieces back in though.

I never tried soaking the cob in the Rit dye mix over a period of time though, maybe that would have allowed the stain to absorb properly.

Gee whiz guys, they're JUST CORNCOBS !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 1:48 pm

monbla256 wrote:

Yep, affordable fun. Couldn't go tinkering  with those fancy Dunghills like this, expensive as they are, even if they don't smoke nearly as good as the cobs.

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Yep, affordable fun. Couldn't go tinkering  with those fancy Dunghills like this, expensive as they are, even if they don't smoke nearly as good as the cobs.

Could be, but my two Dunnies smoke WAAAAAY BETTER than my cobs for sure !! Oh well, different strokes for different folks Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 2:06 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

Just a corncob? Not only are they a Hillbilly mainstay, they are viewed by some as a fashion accessory!

If the corncob pipe is just a corncob, then I would submit that the Montblanc pen is just a pen, and no more functional than my black Industrial Sharpie!

Who could watch this video and not agree that the American corncob is the go to pipe of the American pipeman.

Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems   Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Dutch wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

Just a corncob? Not only are they a Hillbilly mainstay, they are viewed by some as a fashion accessory!

If the corncob pipe is just a corncob, then I would submit that the Montblanc pen is just a pen, and no more functional than my black Industrial Sharpie!

Who could watch this video and not agree that the American corncob is the go to pipe of the American pipeman.

The older MB's were just that. a pen. but not todays' They make pocket jewelry, not really WRITTING PENS as they once did for sure !! With that, they are STILL JUST corncobs as Briars are JUST BRIARS !! A pipe's a pipe. Load it, light it and smoke this "evil weed" and enjoy it !! Oward thru the Fog  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Walker Briar Works - Forever Stems
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2