HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

The end of an era.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

The end of an era. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 9:45 pm

It's hard to pick up on things over the internet, so I had hoped the winky face would convey that intention. I have a dry sense of humor anyway, so should probably not make jokes online.

I was also keying off of the whole 'worth more than Penzance' comment. I've seen 8 oz bags go for $120, so $150 for 8 oz isn't that ridiculous if the blend were that good. I'd never pay that amount for tobacco myself, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 3:42 pm

I would pay that much for the last 8 Ounces of tobacco. But if we all ever get down to the last 8 ounces I'm sure I'll get outbid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I'd sell the last bit of a no-longer-available unobtainium if I had it. It'd sit there taking up space, I'd never smoke it, I'd still be the guy shaking his cane at "that one blend and how it used to be" and not have extra money to buy something I can smoke all day (fuel to bitch about my no-longer-available). Laughing

Classic "759 Syndrome." We all get it sooner or later. I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm

So, has no one tried to recreate this blend? Drums and Beer suggested a reverse engineering of this blend. Why not make the attempt, give it the old 'college try'?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:29 am

I sent a message to John to see what is going on with him and his tobaccos. I will post the reply as soon as I hear back from him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 am

DoverPipes wrote:
I sent a message to John to see what is going on with him and his tobaccos. I will post the reply as soon as I hear back from him.

Unfortunately, that might not be possible. I ran into this post a while ago on another forum. Around this time, I had PM'd John asking a couple cob & tobacco related questions, but I never heard back from him..

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-3994.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am

Sad news on many levels. Makes my header for this thread even more appropo.

It also brings home the truism that we're all going there at some point. My solution, in reaction to the growing realization that time is ticking, is not to hoard...to smoke what Unlike the best and to share liberally. If you thing smoking is not PC here...you should see the rules in heaven! Oh my!

God bless, John. If you ain't coming back, we're surely the poorer without you.

The end of an era. - Page 2 D6bddf10The end of an era. - Page 2 29400910The end of an era. - Page 2 114e6110The end of an era. - Page 2 Ddb39b10The end of an era. - Page 2 Cf77ce10The end of an era. - Page 2 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:

Unfortunately, that might not be possible. I ran into this post a while ago on another forum. Around this time, I had PM'd John asking a couple cob & tobacco related questions, but I never heard back from him..

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-3994.html

He has a laptop and has been online as recently as two weeks ago.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Oh, okay.

I was only going off his last BOB visit which was 10/13. I am not a member of any other forum, btw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Glad to hear he's in touch!

The end of an era. - Page 2 D6bddf10The end of an era. - Page 2 29400910The end of an era. - Page 2 114e6110The end of an era. - Page 2 Ddb39b10The end of an era. - Page 2 Cf77ce10The end of an era. - Page 2 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Opened up my fresh halfer of "Crossroads" this morning. In a lovely straight Apple it tasted a bit sharp but tamed down well enough for that expected melange of flavors...described as "an 80% mix of 3 distinctive Virginias, Turkish Izmir in a minor role, and just enough Cigar Leaf for accent" to come through. For me, aside from the VA's it's the Turkish that characteristics the blend. I know that in 6 months it with smooth out and taste better, but I couldn't wait. In fact, here I am again with a fresh bowl in my Briar Spirit Irish...with the conical bore concentrating the flavors as I smoke it down. Very nice indeed. To me, there just aren't any blends out there as interesting as these non-Latakia Patton's. Great stuff. Sure, I appreciate a good VA flake, some stinky Britweed and a lovely deep Burley blend regularly... but for when they are, nothing does it like Crossroads, Dark Horse or Oriental Dusk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
aadelma

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era.   The end of an era. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 3:37 pm

It's not quite as good as Oriental Dusk, but I have found C&D Lunchtime Blues to be similar to it. It lacks the cigar leaf, so adding a little of that condiment might make it a closer match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The end of an era.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: