HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My own blend. First.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: My own blend. First.   Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 pm

I was inspired to create a blend from some tobacco I was gifted. I call it my own Light Aromatic. It started as a blend of a bulk Va from a b&m, Semois, Opus X wrapper and a less expensive Arturo Fuente wrapper leaf. I liked it but it was a bit strong and rough so I then added some natural Cavendish and a touch of black Cavendish to it. This had a positive effect on the overall body and added a little sweetness and flavor to it. The Cavendish went in with a light hand. It is still strong stuff but can be smoked in more standard bowls now. Pre Cavendish, it was more of a smoke break type blend. I am quite pleased with the results. I don't know if it's as good as I think or just pleases my preferences though. This was the first blend I made that I created instead of just adding a dash of something to an already established product.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My own blend. First.   Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I bet with a little age it'll be even better sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My own blend. First.   Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

My inspiration came from a gem of a tobacco. A gentleman had some Old Gowrie and cut many Cuban Monte Cristo caps into it. A truly sublime smoke. It got me thinking of using premium cigar wrapper leaf in a blend. So awhile ago I bought a relatively inexpensive opus X and another lesser fuente and cut the wrappers off. That is a shockingly small amount of tobacco as it turns out. The Va was suppose to be the base and I decided to add semois also so to keep from blending the small amount of wrapper leaf out it became an extremely small batch blend. Even after I went back and added the Cavendish tobaccos and counting the few bowls I already had while playing with it, I doubt it ever reached 4 ounces. Probably around three. I say all that because at this point I agree that aging and melding could work here to good effect but I'm conflicted because I like it and am a bit proud of it and want to smoke it. And frankly there isn't very much of it at this point. I can't really have it both ways. I think I'll probably ignore it for a fort night so the Cavendish can meld a bit then I'm going to smoke it. I don't really think I'll make bigger batches either because this is was a damn expensive experiment. I might however remake it with the filler tobaccos I have left (which is a ridiculously larger quantity than the wrappers) and just try it with an increased ratio of the Virginias, less Semois, and similar Cavendish. This I can do to a fairly large yield.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My own blend. First.   Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:12 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

My inspiration came from a gem of a tobacco. A gentleman had some Old Gowrie and cut many Cuban Monte Cristo caps into it. A truly sublime smoke. It got me thinking of using premium cigar wrapper leaf in a blend. So awhile ago I bought a relatively inexpensive opus X  and another lesser fuente and cut the wrappers off. That is a shockingly small amount of tobacco as it turns out. The Va was suppose to be the base and I decided to add semois also so to keep from blending the small amount of wrapper leaf out it became an extremely small batch blend. Even after I went back and added the Cavendish tobaccos and counting the few bowls I already had while playing with it, I doubt it ever reached 4 ounces. Probably around three.  I say all that because at this point I agree that aging and melding could work here to good effect but I'm conflicted because I like it and am a bit proud of it and want to smoke it. And frankly there isn't very much of it at this point. I can't really have it both ways. I think I'll probably ignore it for a fort night so the Cavendish can meld a bit then I'm going to smoke it. I don't really think I'll make bigger batches either because this is was a damn expensive experiment. I might however remake it with the filler tobaccos I have left (which is a ridiculously larger quantity than the wrappers) and just try it with an increased ratio of the Virginias, less Semois, and similar Cavendish. This I can do to a fairly large yield.

I have the same problem when it comes to a tobacco I like, if it's good I smoke it.
Right now I have 55 tins stashed away of Escudo for aging, we'll see how long it ages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My own blend. First.   Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at Leaf Only.com or Wholeleaf.com you can order cigar wrapper, filler, etc a pound at a time. Perhaps that might be a cheaper source for you cigar leaf in your blend. I believe the average price is somewhere around 25 bucks a pound, it's whole leaf, ready to roll or smoke. I like the idea of whole leaf so you can play with the way it's cut, as you will have to do it yourself...

Just a thought.......

http://www.wholeaf.com/

https://www.leafonly.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My own blend. First.   Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm

I am completely unaware of it. Will check it out. May be the break I need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My own blend. First.
Page 1 of 1