HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share
 

 Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ajpl

ajpl

Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles, CA
Registration date : 2012-12-13

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I just received an order including a tin of Syrian Star and Ringlow Syrian Reserve, and they both have odd tin codes that deviate from the standard six numbers. Anyone know how to read these codes and date the tins?

SS: 133 9
RSR: 140 13

(Both have a ~two-digit space between the first set of three and the last number or two. The 9 on SS is really just a big smudge, but I'm pretty sure it's a 9 and not a 0. Could also be an 8.)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 pm

ajpl wrote:
I just received an order including a tin of Syrian Star and Ringlow Syrian Reserve, and they both have odd tin codes that deviate from the standard six numbers. Anyone know how to read these codes and date the tins?

SS: 133   9
RSR: 140   13

(Both have a ~two-digit space between the first set of three and the last number or two. The 9 on SS is really just a big smudge, but I'm pretty sure it's a 9 and not a 0. Could also be an 8.)

Thanks!

Don't know if this helps but here you go-

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t1678-dating-mcclelland-blends?highlight=Dating

Kyle also has a thread about dating tins-

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t15572-comprising-a-list-guide-to-tobacco-tin-dates

HTH


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Purple11x 2Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Bombx10Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers BombDating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers D6bddf10 Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online
ajpl

ajpl

Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles, CA
Registration date : 2012-12-13

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 1:42 am

Yeah, I'm familiar with McClelland's standard six-digit blend/batch/year system. I'm just confused about these two since they deviate from that. Like, 133 9: is that blend 1 or blend 13, from batch 3 or 33? And does 9 mean tinned in 2009? And if so, why doesn't it say 09 like normal? Or is this something completely different?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 10:05 am

ajpl wrote:
Yeah, I'm familiar with McClelland's standard six-digit blend/batch/year system. I'm just confused about these two since they deviate from that. Like, 133  9: is that blend 1 or blend 13, from batch 3 or 33? And does 9 mean tinned in 2009? And if so, why doesn't it say 09 like normal? Or is this something completely different?

I tend to go with the Occam's razor idea, "The simplest answer is usually the correct one" Wink
9= 2009
13=2013
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
MisterE
Moderator
MisterE

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 11:05 am

You could always write McClelland directly. I'll bet you a bottle of Heinz ketchup they'd happily decipher it for you. Cool

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ajpl

ajpl

Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles, CA
Registration date : 2012-12-13

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
ajpl wrote:
Yeah, I'm familiar with McClelland's standard six-digit blend/batch/year system. I'm just confused about these two since they deviate from that. Like, 133  9: is that blend 1 or blend 13, from batch 3 or 33? And does 9 mean tinned in 2009? And if so, why doesn't it say 09 like normal? Or is this something completely different?

I tend to go with the Occam's razor idea, "The simplest answer is usually the correct one"  Wink
9= 2009
13=2013

That was my first thought, but I'm finding it hard to believe that this tin sat on a shelf in the smokingpipes warehouse for six years without being sold. I guess it's possible though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers   Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 7:36 pm

ajpl,

It's not that unlikely. I remember reading about a gentleman that spoke to Mike McNeal asking him about a certain club blend and Mike couldn't exactly answer his questions because it had been several years since he had blended a batch of the mixture he was inquiring about. In fact, 2 years ago I bought some McClelland tins from a major webstore that was having a sale. The British Woods tin I got was stamped 2007. And while it's unlikely that you'd get a popular blend like Blackwoods Flake or Frog Morton from a major dealer with several years on it, it's not that unlikely to find tins of less popular blends with a good number of years on them. At least that's been my experience with several of their latakias and some of their club blends like Orient 996 and Cyprian Star.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Dating McClelland tins with less than the full six numbers
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Watch Khumba 3D Online Free and Full Movie HD, DVDRip or Blu-ray 720p December 2013
» Watch Commitment Online Free and Full Movie HD, DVDRip or Blu-ray 720p December 2013
» Watch Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas Online Free and Full Movie HD, DVDRip or Blu-ray 720p December 2013
» The Shitter Was Full...
» Using CSS to full potential

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: