HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Retro-haling

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 pm

I thought I'd share my experiences of retro-haling with the Brothers.

I would still consider myself a comparative newbie when it comes to the briar and as such am on an odyssey to learn. Apart from a cigar on a rare occasion, the pipe has been my first smoking experience. As someone who does not inhale I've ignored anything that is remotely suggestive of it, including retro-haling; that is until I saw a youtube clip and decided to give it a try. Wow. It's at least doubled my smoking experience. As an example, Petersons Connoisseur's Choice has been a recent addition to my cellar. Retro-haling this blend has revealed a caramel sensation that I was previously oblivious to. I wonder what my other favourite blends will reveal...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Yes, I do this too as a matter of course. In fact it's become more or less automatic. Certainly increases the overall satisfaction.

Sometimes it makes my sinuses drip a bit but there again I was born upside down - my feet smell and my nose runs!

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:18 pm

lol! I'm sorry......Retro Haling? lol!
At first I thought you all were talking about French inhaling (this if you don't know is inhaling smoke you've exhaled back into to your nose)
but, after I watched the video I can see that your talking about exhaling through your nose period.I've been doing this since I started smoking anything.
It's strange how with change of time things don't change.....only the names for them.
And truthfully........the names are getting sillier with time.
Oh! And yes I agree it does enhance the smoke. I hardly ever exhale through my mouth.Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Been doing it since my first pipe. And cigar. Must be second nature. Don't think I could taste much without it. But I only do it partially; that's all I need for the flavor burst. In other words, I don't exhale every mouthful, or even all of one mouthful, out my schnozz. Just an occasion dribble here and there. Works for me, etc.

[Is "dribble" a word, outside of basketball? Eh, who cares? You know what I mean.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Been doing it since my first pipe. And cigar. Must be second nature. Don't think I could taste much without it. But I only do it partially; that's all I need for the flavor burst. In other words, I don't exhale every mouthful, or even all of one mouthful, out my schnozz. Just an occasion dribble here and there. Works for me, etc.

[Is "dribble" a word, outside of basketball? Eh, who cares? You know what I mean.]

Well, if your nose is dribbling it's time to wipe it!
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Agreed, Nostrildamus. Which reminds me, that's why I never smoke when I have a cold. How ya' gonna retro when your nose is plugged, red, and swollen?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Agreed, Nostrildamus. Which reminds me, that's why I never smoke when I have a cold. How ya' gonna retro when your nose is plugged, red, and swollen?

I always seem to have at least one nostril open even with a cold.........lucky me. 5)
Oh! And I predict that your nose will fall of in the year 2045.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:34 pm

I did a video on various smoking techniques a while back (Retrohale, french inhale, etc.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:33 pm

I retrohale occasionally as well. If I engage in it too frequently though, it becomes overwhelming and my sinus cavities begin to swell and rebel.

I get even more flavor by resting my tongue on my palate. That's why I'm not a constant clencher. I would taste very little of the tobacco flavor if I constantly clenched.

I'm guessing though, that these variables vary from one smoker to the next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
0ldManJenkins

Registration date : 2015-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:15 pm

I also like to retrohale. I don't do a very good French yet, at least not a smooth stream of smoke... but both seem to enhance the flavor/enjoyment for me.. It might be my imagination, but I feel like french gives me a different scent than retro for the same tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:34 pm

I heard of "retrohaling", but never knew what it was until I just Googled it. Laughing

As a smoker, it just happens, and then with a pipe - more flavors and aromas. It's just like a nice smooth sip of Lagavulin, then exhaling through your nose after swallowing. When the taste is on your tongue, and you get the old snoot in on it - tasty stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
lol! I'm sorry......Retro Haling? lol!

Yes, weird name isn't it Ron!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:42 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
At first I thought you all were talking about French inhaling (this if you don't know is inhaling smoke you've exhaled back into to your nose)

I know what you mean, but for those who don't, I'll offer this perfection of language: You're inhaling smoke through your nose that you push out of your mouth with your tongue. The same smoke doesn't hit your lungs twice.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 am

I just thought that "retro"-haling was something that used to be cool, went out of style, and is now cool again..

I am all for trying to put a name to cetain pipe smoking techniques, but it surely helps when there's consensus on the definition of these techniques.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I just thought that "retro"-haling was something that used to be cool, went out of style, and is now cool again..

I am all for trying to put a name to cetain pipe smoking techniques, but it surely helps when there's consensus on the definition of these techniques.  

Exactly.

It's haling like they did in the 70's and 80's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:26 pm

IMO, the flavors experienced from pipe smoking are much more pronounced and full bodied than those experienced when smoking cigars. Because of this, I suspect that pipe smokers have less interest in retro-haling. My guess is that the cigar community actually relies on this technique much more often than we do for enjoyment of their tobacco.

Since some pipe smokers frequently smoke cigars, the term probably just crossed over a bit into the pipe community, maybe, I dunno. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I find that to taste everything to tobacco has to offer, I do one of two things - either "retrohale" as describe here (usually) or hold the smoke briefly in my mouth while exhaling through my nose (only occasionally, and only with super-periquey blends that are bit too much to pass over the sinuses).

And here I thought I was just "smoking."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:31 pm

idbowman wrote:
I find that to taste everything to tobacco has to offer, I do one of two things - either "retrohale" as describe here (usually) or hold the smoke briefly in my mouth while exhaling through my nose (only occasionally, and only with super-periquey blends that are bit too much to pass over the sinuses).

And here I thought I was just "smoking."

Crap.

I thought those were the same thing.

I'm confused again.

Laughing

I thought exhaling through my nose - after inhaling - was just exhaling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 pm

DireWolf wrote:
I thought exhaling through my nose - after inhaling - was just exhaling.

It is Buddy, when you retrohale there is no inhaling of tobacco smoke into the lungs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:47 pm

I thought this was called snorkleing, or something like that. Are they both the same?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:07 pm

desertpiper wrote:
I thought this was called snorkleing, or something like that. Are they both the same?

I thought snorkeling had something to do with goggles, fins, and looking at pretty fish. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Oh dear, what have I started...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gonzo

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:38 pm

I use this technique, and have found most titles for it kind of silly but ya got call it something I guess. Retro-hale or snork are the most common I have heard used. I do find I pick up more subtle "flavors" with it with certain toby, but not all. As someone already mentioned a blend with a good amount of spice from Perique can be quite an experience,lol. Smoke what and how ya like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Absolutely do this. Not every time or every blend but when I'm looking for details, and nuance it hits the nail right on the head. Considering taste is something like 80-90% smell it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JustTroItIn

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Retro-haling   Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:28 pm

I love to snork some good pipe baccy. Definitely helps taste all they have to offer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Retro-haling
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next